Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best temples, parks, and museums in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Best temples, parks, and museums in Tokyo

I have been to Japan many, many times, but have never been sightseeing in the traditional sense.

I am looking for recommendations re the best temples, parks, and museums in Tokyo. I have a healthy list of places to try (food-wise) and intend to visit Akihabara for anime-related needs. Completely open to other recommendations.

I will be going next month (mid-August) and will be staying in Shinjuku (Park Hyatt). I am currently batting around the idea of taking a day or two to go to Hakone.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Really? Right in the middle of the worst of the summer heat/humidity AND during the height of Obon? Sounds like a potential horror show, especially for travel in and around the country.

Can you change your dates?

As for favorites, I'd say Hibiya Park near Ginza for a nice place to sit and enjoy for a bit, as well as Ueno Park for site-seeing. The multi-building National Museum complex is in Ueno Park too, right across from Ueno Station. I'd also be sure not to miss Hama-rikyu Imperial Garden, near Tsukiji.

My favorite museum is the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku (Sumo Town), which is one stop past Akihabara on the train. While there, you could stop in at the tiny sumo museum right next-door at the Kokugikan Arena if you wish.

There are temples all over Tokyo. One of the classics is Senso-ji (Asakusa Canon) in Asakusa. There is a nice water-taxi that travels between Asakusa and Hama-rikyu if you decide to see both.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:45 pm

Comiket is also in mid-August. Depending on your needs, I'd probably avoid Akihabara a day or so before/after in case out-of-towners will be hitting up both. More people + heat + humidity + tiny stores + insufficient air conditioning = more scents ...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
My favorite museum is the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku (Sumo Town), which is one stop past Akihabara on the train.
+1
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Really? Right in the middle of the worst of the summer heat/humidity AND during the height of Obon? Sounds like a potential horror show, especially for travel in and around the country.

At least he's not going to Kyoto in August. I have never suffered from the heat as much as when I spent two weeks in Kyoto in August for a "dry run" of a student trip, after spending the earlier part of the summer in China. When I went back to Tokyo for a day before flying home, it actually felt comparatively cool, because the air moved occasionally.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by hairpeace
I am looking for recommendations re the best temples, parks, and museums in Tokyo.
My recommendations

1. Meji Jingu shrine - Not the prettiest, but i always enjoy walking through the woods towards the shrine. It's a respite from the noisy loud Harajuku.

2. Yasukuni war museum (Yasukuni shrine) - Just to read/listen to the alternative views of the history of WWII from the Japanese perspective.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:29 am

You can't tour the imperial palace, but you can walk through the grounds via Hibiya Park and visit the little museum that contains a rotating collection of the imperial art collection.

In Ueno, the Shitamachi Museum offers glimpses of life in prewar Tokyo, complete with rooms and "shops" furnished with authentic period artifacts.

The town of Kawagoe offers a neighborhood of Edo-period buildings that survived somehow.

But why not buy a guidebook such as the Insight Guide to Tokyo and discover things that we have never even heard of?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
You can't tour the imperial palace, but you can walk through the grounds via Hibiya Park and visit the little museum that contains a rotating collection of the imperial art collection.
You can join a free guided tour of parts of the Imperial Palace. However, prior registration is required. You can refer to this website for details to register. If time permits, it is a nice experience to visit the Palace:

https://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/english/about/koukyo.html
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Plat
Depending on how broadly your anime interests range, I'd recommend the Sudio Ghibli Museum: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en

"Spirited Away", "My Neighbor Totoro", etc. were all Ghibli productions.

Tickets available at any Lawson convenience store. It is a museum aimed at children but I really enjoyed it anyways. Great gift shop too.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Nice collection of temples and little parks in Yanasen:
http://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/g...ourse/004.html

And it's within striking distance of the big national museums in Ueno.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
You can join a free guided tour of parts of the Imperial Palace. However, prior registration is required. You can refer to this website for details to register. If time permits, it is a nice experience to visit the Palace:

https://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/english/about/koukyo.html
That's new since my last trip, then.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by jcp3rd
Depending on how broadly your anime interests range, I'd recommend the Sudio Ghibli Museum: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en

"Spirited Away", "My Neighbor Totoro", etc. were all Ghibli productions.

Tickets available at any Lawson convenience store. It is a museum aimed at children but I really enjoyed it anyways. Great gift shop too.
+1

I went a few years back and loved it! Recommend that you book online (or call them to book your dates first), then collect your tickets at Lawson.

You can also ask your concierge to assist you with the booking. I had issues with collecting my tickets from the machine and got the concierge to assist.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
That's new since my last trip, then.
You did know about it, but must have forgotten:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ace-tokyo.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.