Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nozomi Luggage Space

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Nozomi Luggage Space

I've been trying to find detailed information about the luggage space on the Nozomi, without success. I understand there's space at the end of the cars but what about above? I have a Travelpro Crew 10 25in Expandable Spinner, does anyone have an idea if this will fit above the seats?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The length is pretty immaterial but the width is important. The racks above the seats are like bus racks, open flat racks that will accommodate almost any length. You could put skis up there although you would piss everyone else off. The space overhead is shared with everyone. My 21" carry-on roller bag fits but hangs out over the edge and makes me nervous so I usually put it behind the last row. My smaller day trekker backpack always goes overhead as it has my cameras and laptop inside.

People are pretty cooperative about making all bags fit in the space at the end of the car. You do, however, need to be sure your bag is near the top of the "pile" before arriving at your stop if it is very crowded as there won't be a lot of time to rearrange things when you get there.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:56 pm

Also the "end" of the cars depends on which direction the train is travelling (to Tokyo or from Tokyo, etc). It can be row 1 or row 12/15 (or how many rows of seat the car has), so if you are going to reserve the seat(s) at the end of car, just be sure that the last row.

My friend and I took the Hokuriku Shinkansen one time (green car) to Kanazawa and the space at the last row was enough to fit two 25"/28" full size luggages on each side.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta
I think that yours will fit fine on the rack above your seat if behind the seats is full. The rack is never fully used, unlike overhead bins in an airplane.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Sounds quite similar to the racks above the seats on the trains in Europe, which I'm not worried about after all of your response. Thanks all!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Travelpro Crew 10 25in Expandable Spinner, does anyone have an idea if this will fit above the seats?

No problem whatsoever.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by seanmh
Sounds quite similar to the racks above the seats on the trains in Europe, which I'm not worried about after all of your response. Thanks all!
I prefer the rack as compared to behind the last seat. I just grab it and go when it's time to get off.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:30 am

I've been to Japan 5x and taken used Shinkansen maybe 3 or 4 of those trips, I've never taken Nozomi trains (Japan Rail Pass is ineligible) but I've never had trouble w/room for my large suitcases at the ends of each car. There's usually some room behind the last row of seats.

I agree that I wouldn't want to put a huge suitcase overhead.

About the worst case is that it's in aisle.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by cwerdna
I've been to Japan 5x and taken used Shinkansen maybe 3 or 4 of those trips, I've never taken Nozomi trains (Japan Rail Pass is ineligible) but I've never had trouble w/room for my large suitcases at the ends of each car. There's usually some room behind the last row of seats.
All Tokaido Shinkansen rolling stock is pretty much the same when it comes to overhead space and the luggage space at the ends of the train car.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

There was plenty of space in the overhead for our luggage. Worked out perfectly. Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.