Wiki Posts
Search

12 nights in Kansai, how to split time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Award flight on United.
It seems like most people are suggesting daily train rides. Day trip everything.

I guess I will look into Hiroshima, but it seems really out of the way.
Hiroshima is VERY day trippable from Kansai if you have a JR pass for the Shinkansen. Look up the timings for Osaka to Hiroshima on yperdia.com

You could get the JR West rail pass which makes it very affordable https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/ and would cover all your day trips as long as you stuck to JR lines.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Several people have mentioned that it is a hassle to move to a different hotel/city. I don't quite understand, being that I've never been to Japan, but is there something unique about Japan that causes moving to be such a hassle?
The argument is that your time spent in moving your luggage around could be better spent actually getting out and about.

If you were for example to make Osaka your base of operations there is a Shin Kaizoku train that gets you from Osaka to Kyoto in less than 40 minutes.

With everywhere in such close proximity it's perfectly possible to have 1 hotel and just day trip everywhere and save yourself the hassle.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
One option we used when moving between hotels was Yamato Transport Co. (black cat logo). We had planned to travel from Osaka to Bunny Island to Miyajima. We didn't want to carry our luggage with us on this journey. We dropped off two suitcases to the concierge lounge at the Ritz Carlton in Osaka the evening before we checked out and our suitcases were delivered to our Ryokan in Miyajima the next day. Given that we traveled via trains, ferries and a taxi, having the luggage delivered was very helpful (and reasonable at $25).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Raven_FL
One option we used when moving between hotels was Yamato Transport Co. (black cat logo)
Just a note. Hotels typically have a particular transport company(ies) that they do business with. Yamato is one of the largest in Japan, but may not be available at your particular hotel. The same is true at convenience stores and at airport locations. Doesn't matter, as prices are very competitive among the serveral companies and they all provide nearly identical service as far as luggage shipping.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Over a stay of 12 days, I wouldn't mind changing hotels once or twice... but I just don't see the point of moving from one city to another in the Kobe-Osaka-Kyoto triangle. If I were moving, I'd be looking for variety. Perhaps I'd spend a couple of nights at a rural onsen in the region, or perhaps throw in a couple of nights at a Kyoto ryokan. But YMMV, as they say, and the OP has researched thoroughly and knows best what works for him.

Last edited by jib71; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrploddy
Hiroshima is VERY day trippable from Kansai
But I didn't see anything of interest in Hiroshima. Searching online just brings up numerous WW2 monuments (which is of minimal interest to me).

Originally Posted by jib71
If I were moving, I'd be looking for variety.
Exactly, variety. Also, I don't have "luggage".
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Exactly, variety. Also, I don't have "luggage".
Well, not exactly exactly. By variety, I meant a change of environment from urban to rural or modern to traditional, rather than moving to a largely similar environment. So you and I are not on the the same wavelength, but that's to be expected. Not sure why you have luggage in quotation marks. Is it a code word for something else?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
But I didn't see anything of interest in Hiroshima. Searching online just brings up numerous WW2 monuments (which is of minimal interest to me).
Well, the city was blasted to smithereens in a novel way in August 1945, for which there is a very worthwhile museum and park to visit. It isn't like visiting some statue or something. And there's also Miyajima, which is pretty cool.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, the city was blasted to smithereens in a novel way in August 1945, for which there is a very worthwhile museum and park to visit. It isn't like visiting some statue or something. And there's also Miyajima, which is pretty cool.
Yes, that fact alone would make it worth visiting, especially for people who talk as if nuclear war would be some bloodless video game.

Unless you have time to travel to Nagasaki, which you probably don't.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Miyajima, which is adjacent to Hiroshima, is one of the most beautiful places in Japan (IMO). If it was me, I'd daytrip there from Kansai and skip Hiroshima all together
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Well, not exactly exactly. By variety, I meant a change of environment from urban to rural or modern to traditional, rather than moving to a largely similar environment. So you and I are not on the the same wavelength, but that's to be expected. Not sure why you have luggage in quotation marks. Is it a code word for something else?
I knew what you meant since you typed what you meant earlier. I'm pretty sure we are on the same wavelength.

Luggage implies suitcases and other large bags/containers. I will have one small backpack to carry around.

Originally Posted by angra
Miyajima, which is adjacent to Hiroshima, is one of the most beautiful places in Japan (IMO). If it was me, I'd daytrip there from Kansai and skip Hiroshima all together
Looks interesting, but the train fare is prohibitive to me.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

UPDATE
Ended up doing 4 nights Kyoto, 2 nights Kobe and 6 nights Osaka. If I could do it all over again, I would have took a day off Osaka and added it to Kyoto.
The leaves changing colors ended up being a highlight of the trip.

12 nights, 2 people, we spent about $1700 excluding long haul flights. I was surprised at how affordable everything was.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, NW
UPDATE
Ended up doing 4 nights Kyoto, 2 nights Kobe and 6 nights Osaka. If I could do it all over again, I would have took a day off Osaka and added it to Kyoto.
The leaves changing colors ended up being a highlight of the trip.

12 nights, 2 people, we spent about $1700 excluding long haul flights. I was surprised at how affordable everything was.
Yes, I keep telling fellow Americans that I can travel at a higher level of comfort in Japan than I can for the same price in the States, and they don't believe me, because some television programs in the 1980s featured travelogues in which they did everything in the most expensive way possible (e.g. taking a cab for the 60km from NRT to central Tokyo instead of the much more reasonable train, ordering a full cooked Western-style breakfast at a 5-star hotel, gourmet restaurants, gawking at the luxury goods in the Ginza department stores), instead of the way I travel (trains and buses, breakfast buffets at business hotels, tiny neighborhood restaurants, shopping where everyday Japanese people shop).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MP
Japan has basically had 25 years of no inflation (I have been here 10+ years and prices have barely changed) but yes, in general Japan is very affordable. However, if you want to blow a ton of cash that is also entirely possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.