Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

possible to check suica balance online?

Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Not that it is a matter of life and death, but when I was in Tokyo last time I was going to return my suica at NRT, but things got out of hand that morning. Long story short, I took a taxi from Ikejiri to NRT and forgot the whole thing..
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:27 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I don't think there is a way. (Unless you buy a card reader).

Last edited by jib71; Aug 12, 2009 at 6:29 am
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
I don't think there is a way. (Unless you buy a card reader).
Would
Thanks for answer. It was pretty much what i was expecting, but I didnt know that they sold card readers.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by northridge
Thanks for answer. It was pretty much what i was expecting, but I didnt know that they sold card readers.
Here you are

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/search/i...+&SearchMode=p
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Thanks. Dont think im gonna buy one though, even the price is not bad. What about the software, I doubt it is in english.
They also got readers compatible with Playstation and some of them are also build into laptops, pretty cool. I think you can use them for buyng stuff online and refill your suica/passmo?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by northridge
some of them are also build into laptops, pretty cool.
I've heard that those laptops with bulit-in Felica reader automatically launch a pre-installed utility program when you touch your Suica/Pasmo/Edy etc onto their palm rests.

I think you can use them for buyng stuff online and refill your suica/passmo?
Refilling Service by JR EAST has just started, but it is for View Card holders only.
( "Suica Internet Service" website in Japanese language)
http://www.jreast.co.jp/suicainterne...situation.html

Last edited by O Sora; Aug 13, 2009 at 12:40 am
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with using Suica to buy stuff is that I thought there was a limit of Y20,000 that could be stored on it -- so if you use it regularly for purchases, you might be refilling it all the time.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The problem with using Suica to buy stuff is that I thought there was a limit of Y20,000 that could be stored on it -- so if you use it regularly for purchases, you might be refilling it all the time.
For that purpose, JR and some other railway companies have started automatic refilling service though, again, it is not for foreign tourists.

("Suica Auto Charge" info in Japanese)
http://www.jreast.co.jp/card/functio...rge/index.html
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: EVA Silver, United Gold, NWA Gold
Sorry to gravedig but this is one of the first posts that comes up in Google when searching for how to check your Pasmo balance online, so I thought I'd post a solution for anyone else who comes across this post first.

If your phone supports the NFC function then you can install an app which allows you to check your balance by pressing your card against the back of your phone. There are a variety of apps available, some in English and most in Japanese, and most are free. I installed one called Suica Reader. After installing I just pressed my card against the back of my phone and it displayed my current balance and history of use. The details in the history are all in Japanese but the current balance and the user interface are all in English. Despite the name the app works for both Pasmo and Suica cards which both apparently use the same system.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If your phone supports the NFC function then you can install an app which allows you to check your balance by pressing your card against the back of your phone.
To clarify, you're referring specifically to the FeliCa NFC enabled phones (prevalent in Japan, Hong Kong, and other parts of Asia) and not other versions of NFC that come with phones prevalent throughout North America and Europe, correct?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jlick1K
Sorry to gravedig but this is one of the first posts that comes up in Google when searching for how to check your Pasmo balance online, so I thought I'd post a solution for anyone else who comes across this post first.

If your phone supports the NFC function then you can install an app which allows you to check your balance by pressing your card against the back of your phone. There are a variety of apps available, some in English and most in Japanese, and most are free. I installed one called Suica Reader. After installing I just pressed my card against the back of my phone and it displayed my current balance and history of use. The details in the history are all in Japanese but the current balance and the user interface are all in English. Despite the name the app works for both Pasmo and Suica cards which both apparently use the same system.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
To clarify, you're referring specifically to the FeliCa NFC enabled phones (prevalent in Japan, Hong Kong, and other parts of Asia) and not other versions of NFC that come with phones prevalent throughout North America and Europe, correct?
I was successful with the first Suica card reader app I tried - very cool! Ordinary North American Android phone.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
jlick1K has posted on the thread which is 8 years old. I do not know what was like 8 years ago, but situation today is this.

You can verify the balance of SUICA at JR ticket machine at JR station which accepts SUICA.

Also can verify the balance at convenience stores which accept SUICA, cashier can verify the balance, or if you purchase something the receipt will have the balance printed.

As you use SUICA to ride JR trains, as passing by the gate at a station small display on the gate will show the balance.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
jlick1K has posted on the thread which is 8 years old. I do not know what was like 8 years ago, but situation today is this.

You can verify the balance of SUICA at JR ticket machine at JR station which accepts SUICA.

Also can verify the balance at convenience stores which accept SUICA, cashier can verify the balance, or if you purchase something the receipt will have the balance printed.

As you use SUICA to ride JR trains, as passing by the gate at a station small display on the gate will show the balance.
I'm glad jlick1K posted this, it was really cool to put a free app on my phone today and see my Suica card's history (and current balance) - sitting at home in North America.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:18 pm

jlick1K, I was successful with a Suica reader app on my Android phone. Do you know of a similar app for iPhone?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mnbp
I'm glad jlick1K posted this, it was really cool to put a free app on my phone today and see my Suica card's history (and current balance) - sitting at home in North America.
Yes, it is cool but being in North America pretty much there is no practical use to know live balance on SUICA card immediately when you want to know. When in Japan where people really may need to have live balance of SUICA card there is no need to have a cell phone which internet functionality. Can get the balance as you use Scuica.

Also I remember that somewhere in FlyerTalk rule not to respond to the thread more than five years of inactivity, since the information on the thread is likely not current anymore. Encourage to start the new thread. I was talking more about that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.