Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Which is preferred: Tokyo --> Osaka/Kyoto or Osaka/Kyoto --> Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:11 am
Original Poster

First time trip to Japan. Trying to catch the cherry blossoms. Will be going last week of March 2018 and first few days of April (roughly). 10-12 days.

Which itinerary is preferred? Starting in Tokyo and then heading south? Or starting south and moving up to Tokyo?

We'll be a family of 4, including 2 elementary school aged kids. Another family of about the same age will be joining us, if it matters.

Due to points (likely flying ANA), if we want to start in Osaka, we would either have to fly to Tokyo and then a domestic to Osaka or take a bullet train from Tokyo. Can't fly directly to Osaka. No issues starting in Tokyo and leaving out of Osaka.

I suppose I could do a roundtrip Tokyo - Osaka - Tokyo, but that seems like extra unnecessary travel.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. Such as how long to stay in each city? Potential luggage issues since the kids might not be able to pull their own weight? I'm not opposed to side trips, but I'd rather limit them in order to more fully experience Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka (in that order). TIA
Old May 22, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I can't think of any inherent reason to prefer one over the other, maybe others will. If the points work better for you to start in Tokyo, I see no particular reason to fight against that.

Balance between the two cities is heavily dependent on your interests. Tell us what you hope to get out of Japan and we can converse on the topic.

Especially given that there is time, I highly suggest getting a guidebook from a company that you usually like, and starting your investigation there. I think we can help a lot in crafting your itinerary, but need first steps on your part to get pointed in right direction.

Luggage: there is a cheap luggage transport service that you can use to get past the luggage issues, but it does take a little bit of planning ahead (not much) since it is next-day rather than same-day delivery.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta
Seems like the question has been answered for you, since only possible arrival point is Tokyo. Do some research, here's a good place with a variety of itineraries and full of good information:
http://www.japan-guide.com
Of course, feel free to ask here about details.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by codex57
Due to points (likely flying ANA), if we want to start in Osaka, we would either have to fly to Tokyo and then a domestic to Osaka or take a bullet train from Tokyo. Can't fly directly to Osaka. No issues starting in Tokyo and leaving out of Osaka. ...
Seems like you answered your own question here.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA, NW
At the risk of sounding like a tape loop, there are entire guidebooks devoted to both Tokyo and the Kyoto/Osaka area.

You have plenty of time to read up on both regions, so start reading, and then come back with specific questions.

But yes, I think that starting in Tokyo is the obvious choice. Even if you have to do a roundtrip on the train (which would make a JR Pass worthwhile), train travel is much less hassle than plane travel.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Yeah, it doesn't really matter, greatly, which way you do them. With your itinerary start in Tokyo and then go to Kyoto and Osaka. Especially with young kids who probably won't enjoy too many long travel days.

How you split them, as said above, depends on your interests. I'd say spend most of your time in Tokyo and Kyoto and less in Osaka as the first two have lots more to do. You really need to get a good guide book or look on Japan guide to see what's available. For daytrips you could try Nara or Himeji.

For luggage you can use Yamato which has a next day delivery service across Japan. It's very reasonable and (I'm pretty sure) all hotels will arrange the service at reception/ the concierge.
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/tourist/hotel/
Old May 22, 2017, 9:49 am

Not sure how dedicated you(r family) is for the cherry blossom, whether you'll chase the blossom

(Aka book refundable hotels, have flexible plans until the forecast comes out and keep re-evaluating ...

usually opens south-to-north, see graph
https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/japan-cherry-blossom-forecast
Old May 22, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I would suggest 5 days Tokyo and 6/7 in the Kansai area. The extra time in Kyoto/Osaka would permit day trips to Himeji, Nara and even Hiroshima, returning to the same hotel at night.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

The main goal is to find some cherry blossoms in bloom somewhere. I just can't tell if it's really necessary to "chase the blossom".

We really don't have a preference as to which way to start and which to end. I've seen itineraries for each way and some people seem to care. Was just hoping others commented as to whether they thought it really mattered or not. Because if it does matter (much better chance of seeing cherry blossoms, some other reason I'm not aware of, etc), I'm willing to go through the hassle of flying into Osaka. If there isn't, like most seem to say, I'll just start in Tokyo.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Since there is variability in when they bloom from year to year, your best tool is schedule flexibility. If you put yourself in a position to where can you chose to make a daytrip to a cooler or warmer climate on many of your days, that will probably do more to increase your chances than anything else.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 pm

In addition to schedule flexibility, you can also go to an area with different elevations. Mount Yoshino has a longer bloom season and can be reached by train from Osaka or Kyoto
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4152.html
https://japancheapo.com/entertainmen...-blossom-spot/

I have flown into HND red-eye and onward to KIX so I could arrive as early in the day as possible. If I were arriving at NRT in the afternoon, I probably wouldn't fly and would start in TYO. Train is easier with multiple kids and luggage delivery between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka.

ANA does code share with United which runs SFO-KIX. It is usually more expensive than SFO-NRT/HND.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:23 pm

If it weren't for your booking situation where you can't directly fly into Osaka, then I would suggest you start out in Kyoto, then Tokyo for the second half of the trip.

Tokyo is such a massive place with complicated train system and various neighborhoods some of which aren't necessarily tourist-oriented. Kyoto is much less hectic with tourists everywhere. So doing Kyoto first will allow you to be eased into Jpn. Then once you gain confidence with the way trains work, eating out, different signs, certain customs, etc, then I think you will get more out of your time in places like Osaka and Tokyo. Tokyo is an amazing place with endless things to explore.

However, with your flight situation, it's not worth deviating from just starting out in Tokyo.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, flights changed. Both starting in Osaka and Tokyo are now options.

The only issue is I have to fly to ICN first. Flight to Osaka has a 1:10 connection time. Tokyo one is 50 minutes. Is that even possible? Same airline for both segments, but I have to go thru immigration at ICN and recheck bags, correct? Airline is Asiana if it matters.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:55 am

I'm pretty sure that ICN has international transit without clearing into Korea but hopefully someone else will confirm. you might check the ICN website to be sure, regardless.

Are the tickets sold as one ticket? You said same airline, but didn't specify if same ticket. If same ticket, and your flight onward from ICN isn't the last of the day, I'd say you should be fine.

I echo the comment above that Osaka is a gentler introduction to Japan than Tokyo, though I wouldn't make it a huge factor.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by angra
I'm pretty sure that ICN has international transit without clearing into Korea but hopefully someone else will confirm.
I flew from SIN to KIX via ICN on KE this March. Didn't have to clear immigration nor recheck bags. Went through transit security, though, and that took about 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.