Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

early thoughts on a trip (March 2018)

Old May 10, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hi,

Just got tickets for March so I will have a lot or research to do. Maybe someone here is nice enough to add her/hip opinion.

We arrive Friday at 9pm in Haneda 03/23
2 nights in Tokyo to recover (when we flew New York - Delhi last year we could do much the day after) and maybe just see some very local sights > ANA Intercontinental (one paid one free weekend night in a club level room)
afterwards .... not so interested in technology more in history, Buddhism, ...
and my wife wants to visit Okinawa as she was born there (US Army base).
03/25 Sunday Train to Kyoto for a few days
Train to Osaka for a couple of days
Flight Osaka - Okinawa
Okinawa - couple of days?
04/02 Flight Okinawa to Tokyo
one night in Tokyo as the Haneda to JFK return is at 10am Tuesday 04/03

Does the routing sound reasonable or should we go another way? Any stop on the way? Does a JP Rail pass make sense for the above? Any advice appreciated! Definitively will search a lot more but it is always good to have some ideas from experienced people (this makes it easier to search).

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, NW
First of all, and this is standard advice in this forum, there is no need to change hotels between Kyoto and Osaka. They are less than an hour apart by train, and there are multiple routes.

Even if your flight to Okinawa leaves from Osaka (does that mean KIX or ITM?), you can easily make it there in time for your flight unless it leaves at 6:00AM or some other ungodly hour.

Since your interests are in history and Buddhism, spending more time in Kyoto than in Osaka makes sense. I think you'd appreciate a side trip to Nara, which was the capital in the eighth century and whose sights are conveniently located close together in a park-like setting.

Since you're making a one-way trip from Tokyo to the Kyoto-Osaka area and then flying to Okinawa, a JR Pass will not be cost effective.

Although Kyoto is more interesting for those who want to explore history and Buddhism, Tokyo is not without interest in this area. You might appreciate seeing a Kabuki play (you can buy tickets for individual acts, and there is English narration available via headphones) and visiting the Edo-Tokyo Museum and the National Museum in Ueno Park (drab and old fashioned, but full of things that would probably be interesting to you).

A daytrip to Kamakura, which was the shogun's capital in the early medieval period, would let you see the Great Buddha and more temples and historic sites. If you go on a weekend, you may be approached by a volunteer guide, a student of English who will show you around and will ask only that you pay for his/her admissions and lunch

There are entire guidebooks devoted to both Tokyo and Kyoto, including side trips, and you will have plenty of time to read them.

I've never been to Okinawa, so others can advise you on that.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by blitzen
Does a JP Rail pass make sense for the above?
Your train journey will be:

Narita Airport Tokyo Kyoto Osaka

Other journey will be on air for Osaka-Okinawa and Okinawa Tokyo (Haneda)

Above train journey will cost you 17,010 yen (US$ 149.16) per person if you buy a ticket for each train ride. 7 Days JR Rail Pass is US$ 255.00 per person.

Unless you are planning to do extensive day trips from Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka (enough that you likely will have no time at Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka) it will be better buying tickets for each train ride.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Just got tickets for March so I will have a lot or research to do.
Book everything well in advance. IIRC March is usually very busy.

ANA Intercontinental (one paid one free weekend night in a club level room)
IMO an average hotel. Not bad, not outstandingly good. Rooms were clean, staff friendly, breakfast excellent.

03/25 Sunday Train to Kyoto for a few days
^ But don't forget that Tokyo has lots to offer too. Kamakura, Nikko are all within reach from Tokyo. There are many shrines in Tokyo that are worth a visit.

Train to Osaka for a couple of days
While Osaka is nice, I don't think that it is necessary to spend a couple of nights there just after spending a couple of nights in neighboring Kyoto. Rather than changing hotels there, I'd probably more nights in Kyoto (You can do Nara from there as well).

On my first trip to Japan (already quite some time ago), I visited Nara on a day trip from Kyoto and traveled the next day to Hiroshima (stopping of at the Himeji castle). I spent 1 night in Hiroshima, visited the peace park the next morning continued by train to the Itsukushima Shrine and from there to Osaka.

Another rather popular trip is the one to Mt. Koya and sleeping a night in a buddhist temple. Can be done from Osaka.

Does the routing sound reasonable or should we go another way? Any stop on the way? Does a JP Rail pass make sense for the above?
You could leave Okinawa out given that you'll have enough to see and discover on Honshu. That said, Okinawa may be an interesting way to end your trip in Japan: While it is relatively cold on Honshu, you'll probably be able to enjoy a couple of summer weather in Naha.

If you only travel Tokyo->Osaka/Kyoto oneway, a rail pass makes AFAIK no sense. BTW: If you include Okinawa in your trip remember that JL and NH have air passes if you arrive in Japan on a *S or OW airline. IIRC the price of a flight segment is 90-100$.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ksandness
First of all, and this is standard advice in this forum, there is no need to change hotels between Kyoto and Osaka. They are less than an hour apart by train, and there are multiple routes.

Even if your flight to Okinawa leaves from Osaka (does that mean KIX or ITM?), you can easily make it there in time for your flight unless it leaves at 6:00AM or some other ungodly hour.

Since your interests are in history and Buddhism, spending more time in Kyoto than in Osaka makes sense. I think you'd appreciate a side trip to Nara, which was the capital in the eighth century and whose sights are conveniently located close together in a park-like setting.

Since you're making a one-way trip from Tokyo to the Kyoto-Osaka area and then flying to Okinawa, a JR Pass will not be cost effective.

Although Kyoto is more interesting for those who want to explore history and Buddhism, Tokyo is not without interest in this area. You might appreciate seeing a Kabuki play (you can buy tickets for individual acts, and there is English narration available via headphones) and visiting the Edo-Tokyo Museum and the National Museum in Ueno Park (drab and old fashioned, but full of things that would probably be interesting to you).

A daytrip to Kamakura, which was the shogun's capital in the early medieval period, would let you see the Great Buddha and more temples and historic sites. If you go on a weekend, you may be approached by a volunteer guide, a student of English who will show you around and will ask only that you pay for his/her admissions and lunch

There are entire guidebooks devoted to both Tokyo and Kyoto, including side trips, and you will have plenty of time to read them.

I've never been to Okinawa, so others can advise you on that.
Thanks a lot. Will look into Nara and Kamakura ... (great to have some search terms). And the inside scoop that we can stay in Kyoto and just make a day trip (or the trip to the airport) via train.

Great to have a community like this
Old May 10, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Your train journey will be:

Narita Airport Tokyo Kyoto Osaka

Other journey will be on air for Osaka-Okinawa and Okinawa Tokyo (Haneda)

Above train journey will cost you 17,010 yen (US$ 149.16) per person if you buy a ticket for each train ride. 7 Days JR Rail Pass is US$ 255.00 per person.

Unless you are planning to do extensive day trips from Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka (enough that you likely will have no time at Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka) it will be better buying tickets for each train ride.
I even plan to get from the arrival airport (Haneda) to the hotel via taxi so the value of the pass is even less. But as things are likely to change once the governance steps in (aka my wife) ....
Old May 10, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The above advice is excellent. I would add that you might want to visit the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. In Osaka, IMO the main tourist place of historical interest would be the castle. Otherwise, Osaka is just a big modern business city that seems much less international than Tokyo.

Note that the Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka areas have somewhat different cultures and cuisines, including the preparation of tempura. If you're interested in these aspects, plan to have a multicourse traditional seasonal meal in Kyoto. Also in Kyoto, don't miss the area with the geisha, ideally strolling the side streets in late afternoon to early evening.

Do you want to try to spend a night in a ryokan?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I even plan to get from the arrival airport (Haneda) to the hotel via taxi so the value of the pass is even less. But as things are likely to change once the governance steps in (aka my wife) ....
Sorry about that, you are arriving at Haneda Airport. Then your JR train ride will cost you 14,450 yen (US$ 126.71) per person. I do think you will be better off buying train tickets for each ride you make. It will be very difficult to break even with JR Rail Pass of US$ 255.00.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Book everything well in advance. IIRC March is usually very busy.
Will do suspected this and as a german I have to plan in advance (in my DNA). I was surprised to so easy get ANA First tickets using Virgin Atlantic points.

IMO an average hotel. Not bad, not outstandingly good. Rooms were clean, staff friendly, breakfast excellent.
Just need something easy (things to walk to) with a lounge (if we don't feel like doing much). And the Free Weekend Day voucher makes the price reasonable. But open to other options. Just the first to have a starting point.

^ But don't forget that Tokyo has lots to offer too. Kamakura, Nikko are all within reach from Tokyo. There are many shrines in Tokyo that are worth a visit.
Agreed. My wife isn't interested in Tokyo but that will probably change. Easy to add night in the beginning or the end

While Osaka is nice, I don't think that it is necessary to spend a couple of nights there just after spending a couple of nights in neighboring Kyoto. Rather than changing hotels there, I'd probably more nights in Kyoto (You can do Nara from there as well).

On my first trip to Japan (already quite some time ago), I visited Nara on a day trip from Kyoto and traveled the next day to Hiroshima (stopping of at the Himeji castle). I spent 1 night in Hiroshima, visited the peace park the next morning continued by train to the Itsukushima Shrine and from there to Osaka.

Another rather popular trip is the one to Mt. Koya and sleeping a night in a buddhist temple. Can be done from Osaka.
OK Osaka seems to be a day trip and/or being replaced by other stops. Mt Koya sounds interesting.

You could leave Okinawa out given that you'll have enough to see and discover on Honshu. That said, Okinawa may be an interesting way to end your trip in Japan: While it is relatively cold on Honshu, you'll probably be able to enjoy a couple of summer weather in Naha.
Okinawa is a "must" as my wife wants to see where she was born

If you only travel Tokyo->Osaka/Kyoto oneway, a rail pass makes AFAIK no sense. BTW: If you include Okinawa in your trip remember that JL and NH have air passes if you arrive in Japan on a *S or OW airline. IIRC the price of a flight segment is 90-100$.
Great info. As I arrive on ANA that will work.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The above advice is excellent. I would add that you might want to visit the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. In Osaka, IMO the main tourist place of historical interest would be the castle. Otherwise, Osaka is just a big modern business city that seems much less international than Tokyo.

Note that the Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka areas have somewhat different cultures and cuisines, including the preparation of tempura. If you're interested in these aspects, plan to have a multicourse traditional seasonal meal in Kyoto. Also in Kyoto, don't miss the area with the geisha, ideally strolling the side streets in late afternoon to early evening.

Do you want to try to spend a night in a ryokan?
Thanks! A night in a ryokan sound interesting. Any recommendations?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Sorry about that, you are arriving at Haneda Airport. Then your JR train ride will cost you 14,450 yen (US$ 126.71) per person. I do think you will be better off buying train tickets for each ride you make. It will be very difficult to break even with JR Rail Pass of US$ 255.00.
No worrries. While the $ might not have been exact I got the idea. Thanks for your help
Old May 10, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Thanks! A night in a ryokan sound interesting. Any recommendations?
Stop of somewhere nice for a night or two. Somewhere with an Onsen.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'll offer one slight criticism of your itinerary. I think as you plan and research, you'll find you want more time in both Tokyo and Kyoto.

Given your interests, I would consider skipping Osaka to get the extra days. You can still fly from KIX to Okinawa, it's about an hour train ride from Kyoto right to the airport train stop.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I'll offer one slight criticism of your itinerary. I think as you plan and research, you'll find you want more time in both Tokyo and Kyoto.

Given your interests, I would consider skipping Osaka to get the extra days. You can still fly from KIX to Okinawa, it's about an hour train ride from Kyoto right to the airport train stop.
Or ITM (Itami Airport) which is closer from Kyoto than to KIX.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord

hi i don't take it as criticism. It as a suggestion so I am glad for the advise. Seems like Osaka. Am be skipped for othe attractions/destinations.

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.