Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Futuristic new tech unique to Japan. Do they still get cool stuff before we do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futuristic new tech unique to Japan. Do they still get cool stuff before we do?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I know the akih... (sp) district is the place to be for electronics stores but:

* What are the best gadget stores there? If I could only visit one, which would it be and why?

* Is there cool tech I can buy in Japan, but would delayed in coming to the U.S.? An example or two please.

* Is there cool tech that will never make it to the U.S.? Just really odd gadgets. I don't mean the culture of odd gadgets that no one would really use--seems to be a whole art in Japan--but useful gadgets.

I'm not interest in Anime or Manga. Talking about electronic gadgets, ala Think Geek, etc.
3D TVs - I didn't notice as many 3D tvs displayed with prominent demo stations in front of electronic shops during a recent trip compared to a few years ago. Have you searched for 3D TV blogs in Japanese?

Akiba's gone very Anime and Manga oriented over the last decade or so. I'm sure there are still hardware component shops but there are also a lot of maid cafes. Just want to put this upfront as it is quite different from the tech amazement and awe one would get a decade or two ago if you're used to a big US city and gadget nerd.

My favorite electronic one stop electronics shop is Yodobashi Akiba. If you want to see some items which will never make it the the US - check out the beauty electronics section. There are several beauty gadgets made for the domestic market like sonic skin toning machines, nano facial steamer, and heated mascara curlers. Some of the other household goods like mini clothing steamer iron and a machine which grinds tea leaves and brews tea (similar to the fancy IoT coffee machines in the US) are "only in Japan" items in small appliance home goods section. The advanced massage chairs are fun for button mashing.

As for tech gadgets to buy - check out the power cords section. Elecom, Panasonic, Sanwa, and Yazawa have thoughtfully produced rotating power taps and extensions. Immensely useful gadgets to carry when traveling.

There are some good headphone stores and displays, too. I've never seen as much headphone variety in a US electronics/audio store http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...hone-retailer/
Old May 16, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moretimeoffguy - I'm seeing your posts, but, actually, what I'm reading is:

"Is there such a thing as CEATEC?"

"I want to go to CEATEC"

"I really, really want to go to CEATEC"

"Why can't CEATEC be on when I'm visiting?!?"
Old May 16, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
moretimeoffguy - I'm seeing your posts, but, actually, what I'm reading is:

"Is there such a thing as CEATEC?"

"I want to go to CEATEC"

"I really, really want to go to CEATEC"

"Why can't CEATEC be on when I'm visiting?!?"
Your interpretation. My reality: wife would clobber me if I changed our travel dates. Since we're traveling to coincide with our Anniversary. :-)

But seriously. At least in the late 90's, Japan was heads and shoulders above the U.S. with various little things I saw as a casual traveler--arcades full of drum / guitar / and other novel controllers. A wide screen TV in every apartment, etc. I didn't attend CEATEC then... looking for a similar experience like back then in the present. And yes, wondering if there is such an experience to be had--outside of CEATEC if that's your read.

I know I'll have an interesting trip, period. Already gotten great advice and excited about my visit. If I'm now upping the ante, guilty as charged. :-)
Old May 18, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

A simpler way to put it: I want to see Japanese tech in situ that one doesn't find often, or at all, in the U.S. Sorry for over-complicating things. Still glad I started this thread. Perhaps it will help others. And thanks so far to all who've contributed.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:03 am

I want to see Japanese tech in situ that one doesn't find often....
How about the world's shortest escalator?
Old May 24, 2017, 7:16 am

And here's a sake vending machine with thirty different kinds of sake - I'll bet you won't see one of those outside of Japan!

(There's also a bigger one in Niigata with more than 100 kinds of sake.)
Old May 24, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
And here's a sake vending machine with thirty different kinds of sake - I'll bet you won't see one of those outside of Japan!

(There's also a bigger one in Niigata with more than 100 kinds of sake.)
I've seen sake and beer vending machines in the Japanese countryside of Shikoku. So I'm looking forward to the crazy selection of vending machines in Tokyo. Love the 1950's retro-future Automat vibe Japan seems to have. Like a pseudo-Jetsons. Of course I'm sure their technical Universities are working on the real thing, e.g. nanotech / molecular manufacturing. :-) As are we in the U.S.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

A simpler way to put it: I want to see Japanese tech in situ that one doesn't find often, or at all, in the U.S. Sorry for over-complicating things. Still glad I started this thread. Perhaps it will help others. And thanks so far to all who've contributed.
Fax machines?
Old May 25, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good distraction for tech lovers on a long flight
Chindogu

Last edited by rickg523; May 25, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 10:14 am

Hey, I'm finding this thread fascinating and appreciate OP for starting it.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Japanese Toilet

TOTO has come up with new toilet NEOREST NX (website Japanese only). Suggested retail price of 570,000 yen (US$ 5,025 or € 4435).

TOTO said target market for NEOREST NX is upper class residential and luxury hotels. It is washlet type toilet, where sensors on this toilet make everything automatic, hence no control panel like usual washlet toilet we see. But five thousand grand for a toilet!?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codex57
Hey, I'm finding this thread fascinating and appreciate OP for starting it.
You're welcome. I'm confident there's more to say on the subject. Again, talking about tech in situ, already out there in the wild in Japan, that you wouldn't typically see in the U.S. presently.

Haven't heard much about the current state of Japanese arcades vs. U.S. arcades.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Haven't heard much about the current state of Japanese arcades vs. U.S. arcades.
Why do you think arcades in the U.S. is no longer one of prime places for teenagers to hang out these days? Because most of kids are playing games at home using consoles connected online, teenagers do not have to leave their home heading to a mall to play games. Same thing in Japan.

Sure if you look around, you can still find arcades in Tokyo but for computer video game makers arcades are no longer place they use to display their new products. If you are talking about Pachinko then that is different story. What is Pachinko without “Pa”?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
What is Pachinko without “Pa”?
Machinko
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I've heard Round One arcade is worth a visit. Something like 10 stories tall in Shinjuku.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.