Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ski-in/out resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
Imagine trying to mix ski resort with social distancing.
Several super-spread events in North America and Europe stem from ski resorts (Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Italy, Austria). I think ski resorts are probably quite prominent in policy makers' minds. It would not surprise me if virus mitigation measures were to be applied, long after they are lifted for other sectors in the economy, to ski resorts, which attract people from far and wide, who socialize and bring asymptomatic infections home. Ditto for beach resorts and cruise ships.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Several super-spread events in North America and Europe stem from ski resorts (Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Italy, Austria). I think ski resorts are probably quite prominent in policy makers' minds. It would not surprise me if virus mitigation measures were to be applied, long after they are lifted for other sectors in the economy, to ski resorts, which attract people from far and wide, who socialize and bring asymptomatic infections home. Ditto for beach resorts and cruise ships.
No skiing or beach resorts? You might as well put me out.

There was a study published on Science saying that social-distancing is expected to be needed all the way into year 2022 or until a successful vaccine comes along. Likely no vaccine available till after the next ski season.

I'm trying to decide what to do with Epic Pass for next year. It's definitely the cheapest now. It covers Park City, Whistler, Keystone, Rusutsu and Hakuba. If there's no skiing, will I get my money back? Then again, Vail Resorts are already going to lose $200million from this season alone due to ski resorts closing ~1month early. They may even go out of business if there's no skiing next year, and then we don't get the money back. (If I don't get money back from Vail Resorts, I may not be horribly upset. They have given me so much joy over the years, and for that I'm grateful.)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm trying to decide what to do with Epic Pass for next year. It's definitely the cheapest now.
Take my advice and spend the money on magic beans.
freecia likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Have you already purchased your plane tickets and everything?
I only have flights booked, but those are award / miles redemptions so I'm out at most 75 bucks (cancellation fee). Don't dare to book anything other than that, even if I am an optimist :P
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:54 pm

Have any of you ski'ed Appi Kogen before? Next season* I will have my toddler (~1.5 years old), and likely my parents tagging along, so I sort of need a place where they have stuff to do while the wife and I hit the slopes, and Appi on paper seems like it might fit the bill (there's childcare, and my parents won't have to go outdoors in the cold if they don't want to).

* Yes ... I'm being optimistic, perhaps ... but I refuse to believe that I will need to skip two ski seasons lol.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Have any of you ski'ed Appi Kogen before? Next season* I will have my toddler (~1.5 years old), and likely my parents tagging along, so I sort of need a place where they have stuff to do while the wife and I hit the slopes, and Appi on paper seems like it might fit the bill (there's childcare, and my parents won't have to go outdoors in the cold if they don't want to).

* Yes ... I'm being optimistic, perhaps ... but I refuse to believe that I will need to skip two ski seasons lol.
I have not been to Appi, although I’ve studied their trail map quite closely. It’s a huge mountain, but somehow it sounds like it’s somewhat off the gaijin skiers beaten path, which makes me wonder how their daycare would be in dealing with English speaking parents. Maybe you can research that. The terrain / lift layout is weird, with many intermediate/novice runs having short advanced portions at the top... may or may not be a problem for you.

Have you looked into Tomamu or Sahoro?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:35 am

Have you looked into Tomamu or Sahoro?
Yes, these 2 resorts are on the shortlist as well; I'm just trying to broaden the shortlist to include somewhere that's reachable by land from Tokyo (where I'll be flying in/out of) instead of hopping on another flight to Hokkaido. As things go it's unlikely to be able to firm up a place or make any sort of hotel bookings until later on this year anyway
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Yes, these 2 resorts are on the shortlist as well; I'm just trying to broaden the shortlist to include somewhere that's reachable by land from Tokyo (where I'll be flying in/out of) instead of hopping on another flight to Hokkaido. As things go it's unlikely to be able to firm up a place or make any sort of hotel bookings until later on this year anyway
I think you're looking for:
1. decent mountain
2. ski-in/out
3. childcare that takes an 18mo old
4. some things to do for non-skiers
5. Honshu
6. decent accommodation

I haven't actually skiied at any of these (I've just been to Naeba), but let me list some places that might meet most of the above requirements:
- Appi
- Alts (seems like a nice hotel)
- Grandeco (seems like a nice hotel, but limited terrain)
- Naeba (hotel not great)
- Ski Jam Katsuyama (one problem is, Tokyu Harvest Hotel is difficult to book unless you're a member)
- Dynaland (technically not ski in/out)
- Tangram + Madarao Kogen (2 adjoined hills; Tangram has much better hotel, but seems like there's daycare at both)

Appi and Ski Jam are the largest out of the above.
But Tangram + Madarao combined is a pretty decent size mountain.
Alts and Grandeco probably have the nicest hotels.
Grandeco, Ski Jam and Tangram are all Tokyu resorts... Tokyu hotels are bookable, although the ones called Harvest are hard to book, or maybe impossible. In fact, I'm only able to stay at one when I go with my family. But Grandeco and Tangram also have non-Harvest hotels that you should be able to book (Tangram expensive usually).
Again, I don't have firsthand experience at any of these places. But I do research skiing in Jpn quite a bit.
shuigao likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:34 am

I haven't actually skiied at any of these (I've just been to Naeba), but let me list some places that might meet most of the above requirements:
- Appi
i ended up making refundable reservation @ Appi but taking into account the global situation and teh fact that Japan's 2nd wave is now 1,000 cases a day ... it's starting to look extremely unlikely that tourism will resume anytime earlier than summer 2021 ...
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
This doesn't fit Shuigao's exact requirements, but some data points:

- My favorite ski in / out in Japan is Hilton Niseko Village, followed by Sahoro and Tomamu
- If non-hotels are included, the condos near the Ace Family Chair in Hirafu are really good too. Basically ski-in / ski-out

In addition, we spent a few weeks driving around Hakuba and Karuizawa before we left and Japan shut down (right around the time of the Diamond Princess):

- The Courtyard by Marriott is not ski-in / ski-out, but is really nice. Many rooms have in-room onsen. If you have a car it makes going to most slopes a non-issue
- The Marriott Karuizawa is is some ways nicer (bigger rooms, better in-room onsen) but accessibility to the slopes is a bigger pain
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Going out of business

Two major ski areas out of business, presumably as result of Covid.

Mizuho Highland in Shimane.
Mt Racey in Hokkaido.

The latter in particular is a big complex with gondola, hotel and everything. Hope someone buys them and reopens them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.