Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If too late for the monorail, wouldn’t it cost salehir 8,400yen for the fixed cost taxi service to Edogawa?
https://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/...port/taxi.html
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LapLap
If too late for the monorail, wouldn’t it cost salehir 8,400yen for the fixed cost taxi service to Edogawa?
https://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/...port/taxi.html
Is that to Edogawa proper though? The Sheraton (and Tokyo Disneyland) is just slightly over in Chiba.
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Is that to Edogawa proper though? The Sheraton (and Tokyo Disneyland) is just slightly over in Chiba.
It is just slightly over, isn’t it?
But the last trains from Kasai-Rinkai Koen to Maihama depart at 00:38 and 00:46 (on weekdays)
I’d call and enquire, and if the taxi fare to Tokyo Disneyland is much more than the 8,400yen night fare*, salehir could get a fixed fare taxi to Kasai-Rinkai Koen Station (which IS in Edogawa) and either get a local taxi to the hotel from there or just get on the train to Maihama (3 mins 140yen)

* and it might be, from the web site: “If the set-fare taxis use any routes other than the designated routes, the trip will not be eligible for set-fare rates and will be charged the normal distance based fares.” I believe that standard metered fare would be at least 12,000yen at that time of the evening.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 1, 2019 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:24 am

Hint for first time visitors

Japanese tissues suck. Just get the Kleenex brand which is available in Japan.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Japanese tissues suck. Just get the Kleenex brand which is available in Japan.
Have you tried Nepia Hana Celeb tissue, the ones with the white animals on them? I wish I had brought back a few boxes of Nepia from my last trip. It is like a nice cloth handkerchief without tissue dust but disposable. US Kleenex triple ply dust makes me sneeze even more during allergy season.
https://domoarigatojapan.weebly.com/...urizing-tissue
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since we’re going down this route (and not for the first time)

When coming to Japan, bring an effective deodorant/anti-perspirant.

Can’t think of anything sadder than a visitor, who used a locally purchased deodorant that morning, trying to quell the stench of their pits at a public restroom sink with standard Japanese tissues.
freecia and nishimark like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta
When coming to Japan, bring an effective deodorant/anti-perspirant.
Truer words have never been spoken.
estnet and roberto99 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:29 pm

Can’t think of anything sadder than a visitor, who used a locally purchased deodorant that morning, trying to quell the stench of their pits at a public restroom sink with standard Japanese tissues.
When said odorous visitor whose armpits have tissue lint suffers heat stroke. Be careful in the summer PSA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmLetF-GS4 and an inexpensive hand towel from the combini/100 yen store will work better for absorbing sweat. There's also deodorant body powder sheets/wipes in travel packs for those who need to touch up on the go. Use an umbrella/parasol in sunny weather if you need to. Parasols are common enough in Japan. It also provides a bit of a personal space.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by nishimark
Truer words have never been spoken.
I was sooo surprised when I was searching for a deodorant that the multiple people who tried to help me looked so confused and puzzled at what I was searching for and continually showed me underarm soapish wipes! Now I know why, altho I did see some western deodorants in large tourist oriented pharm type stores.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Have you tried Nepia Hana Celeb tissue, the ones with the white animals on them? I wish I had brought back a few boxes of Nepia from my last trip. It is like a nice cloth handkerchief without tissue dust but disposable. US Kleenex triple ply dust makes me sneeze even more during allergy season.
https://domoarigatojapan.weebly.com/...urizing-tissue
No I haven't, I should check it out.
I basically ignore all the Japanese brands and reach for Kleenex straight away. I don't ever remember using tissues at my family/relatives' homes in Jpn and thinking they were actually not bad. Some of those were Nepia, but I certainly don't think any of those were your Hana Celeb kind. All Japanese ones I've used are extremely thin and rougher on the skin.

I know exactly what you're saying about the dust from Kleenex. But I find the dust thing to only be an issue with their Ultra Soft variety. So I avoid those and just get the regular Kleenex in US and Jpn. In US, unfortunately Ultra Soft seems to be more prevalent than regular ones. In Jpn, I also like the Kleenex tissue that's coated with aloe or some type of emollient... comes in green(blue?) packaging (forget what it's called). That one does not create any duststorm and are extremely gentle on your skin. Perfect for when you have cold or go skiing.

Can you buy your Nepia tissues in US? I've seen Nepia sold in LA, although I don't know if it was your favorite kind.

I've been using the roll-on Jpn deodorant called 8x4 for years. I've had no issues with it, although I generally don't sweat much esp in the arm pit. I have heard such criticisms about Japanese deodorants in the past, though.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using the roll-on Jpn deodorant called 8x4 for years. I've had no issues with it, although I generally don't sweat much esp in the arm pit. I have heard such criticisms about Japanese deodorants in the past, though.
Those of us who are black or caucasian are far more likely to find Japanese deodorants to be ineffective.
There’s a variation in a gene that is common in those with East Asian ancestry that means that those who have the variation don’t get wet earwax nor osmidrosis (stinky BO). There is still a sizeable chunk of Japanese people who do have to deal with osmidrosis (roughly 20%, percentage varies with study), but they are in the minority. A much, much smaller proportion of Europeans have the variant that frees them from BO worries, most of us are smelly.
On both continents, the products on our pharmacy shelves reflect the needs of the customers in the majority.
jib71 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:17 pm

Those of us who are black or caucasian are far more likely to find Japanese deodorants to be ineffective.
There’s a variation in a gene that is common in those with East Asian ancestry that means that those who have the variation don’t get wet earwax nor osmidrosis (stinky BO). There is still a sizeable chunk of Japanese people who do have to deal with osmidrosis (roughly 20%, percentage varies with study), but they are in the minority. A much, much smaller proportion of Europeans have the variant that frees them from BO worries, most of us are smelly.
On both continents, the products on our pharmacy shelves reflect the needs of the customers in the majority.
Interesting. I have to say, though, that some of the worst-smelling people in Jpn are 50+ year-old Jpnese salarymen. Their smell is like a combo of dirty hair, BO and bad breath. They could definitely use stronger deodorant, in addition to shampooing hair and brushing teeth more often.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I have to say, though, that some of the worst-smelling people in Jpn are 50+ year-old Jpnese salarymen. Their smell is like a combo of dirty hair, BO and bad breath. They could definitely use stronger deodorant, in addition to shampooing hair and brushing teeth more often.
That could be the combined pong of diacetyl and 2-nonenal.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/20.../#.XFlDRoqnyhA
Age catches up with all of us eventually.

But there’s been a change in lifestyle that has also contributed to this problem. Setting aside the global warming phenomenon, Japanese cities have been getting progressively hotter in the last few decades - less gardens/private greenery, more asphalt and paving, more air conditioning chugging out heat, etc., etc. Also, how older men dress has changed quite radically in just a couple of generations. No more bare feet and geta and the expectation to look pressed and unwrinkled means shirts, underwear and suits made of unbreathable man made fabrics. Not to mention the hair dye, such a bother to re-apply at every bath, so less shampoos is the result. Add to this a carefree youth, free of osmidrosis and the mandatory cleaning regime that it imposes, and midoru shishuu is the cumulative result.
There’s now a whole industry of products and processes targeted at more conscientious old men who are terrified of being tainted with the 加齢臭 label. Must be worth many millions of dollars.
jib71 and evergrn like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Four persons in a Tokyo taxi

We are arriving at Tokyo Haneda and planning to take a taxi to central Tokyo. There are four of us - 2 adults and 2 children. A friend mentioned that he didn't think that Tokyo taxis accepted four people; it was a three person maximum. Is this true? I have taken taxis in Tokyo many times but never as a group of four. Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniff
We are arriving at Tokyo Haneda and planning to take a taxi to central Tokyo. There are four of us - 2 adults and 2 children. A friend mentioned that he didn't think that Tokyo taxis accepted four people; it was a three person maximum. Is this true? I have taken taxis in Tokyo many times but never as a group of four. Thanks.
Have travelled as a four person group lots of times (MrLapLap, LapChild -in her own seat, MrLapLap’s father as well as me), as well as to Haneda Airport as a group. Never been a whisper of an issue. One of you will be travelling in front. Do be aware that the boot of a standard taxi is not particularly spacious, getting four luggage cases into one may be your real hurdle.
Braniff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.