Wiki Posts
Search

Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Narita Airport (T2) to Sengakuji Station A07
Seems there is usually one that departs at 11:02pm, but it gets particularly tricky to work out when an earlier one might be.
Am looking to get one that costs around 1,350yen per adult and takes 75-80 minutes. Ideally no transfers. Am arriving with MU at 9pm, two adults, one kid and luggage.
Assuming that you need around 40 minutes to get from arrival gate to the station, this might work. Change at Aoto or Keisei Takasago. Need to check which of those is recommended - I think Keisei Takasago is just a walk across the platform.

From Hyperdia, the full list of Access Tokyo trains is available if you click the "interval timetable" link under one of the Access Tokyo trains in the results.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by jib71; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:02 pm Reason: Unfinished sentence in original post.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
For those looking to purchase Shinkansen tickets in advance either for the Tokaido or Sanyo lines, there's an app called smartEX. I believe you can reserve up to a month in advance. You can link the app to an IC card and not worry about paper tickets. However this option is only available for single tickets. One great thing about the app is that you can see the seat availability on dates of travel. This is great if you're going to travel on or around major holidays like New Year's. Currently, the app is only supported for citizens from the following countries: US, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, and Taiwan
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:13 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by jib71
Assuming that you need around 40 minutes to get from arrival gate to the station, this might work. Change at Aoto or Keisei Takasago. Need to check which of those is recommended - I think Keisei Takasago is just a walk across the platform.

From Hyperdia, the full list of Access Tokyo trains is
I'm not sure I understand the above series of trains. If you change at Keisei-Takasago, what are you changing to? It appears to be the same train. When you get to Oshiage, you have precisely 0 minutes to make the connection? Looking at the map (Apple Maps...) the Keisei line and the Askausa subway line butt up together at Oshiage - it appears one ends and the other starts ... presumably you don't change trains? What does the two-down-arrows symbol at Keisei-Takasago and Oshiage mean? Does it mean you just continue and don't actually change?

I was looking at trains from Narita to Asakusa and got a similar result, though in this case it's two-down-arrows all the way. Does that mean you just stay on the same train all the way? Somewhat confusing....

Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by tt7
I'm not sure I understand the above series of trains. If you change at Keisei-Takasago, what are you changing to? It appears to be the same train. When you get to Oshiage, you have precisely 0 minutes to make the connection? Looking at the map (Apple Maps...) the Keisei line and the Askausa subway line butt up together at Oshiage - it appears one ends and the other starts ... presumably you don't change trains? What does the two-down-arrows symbol at Keisei-Takasago and Oshiage mean? Does it mean you just continue and don't actually change?
The two-down-arrow symbol means your train transitions from one line to another line at that station (eg, from Keisei track to Toei Asakusa track) but you still stay on the same train. Yeah, confusing.

When you go from Yokohama Chinatown to Tokorozawa, for instance, you're on the same train the entire time but your train goes over at least 5 different lines.
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by tt7

I was looking at trains from Narita to Asakusa and got a similar result, though in this case it's two-down-arrows all the way. Does that mean you just stay on the same train all the way? Somewhat confusing....
The itinerary that I posted above shows a change at Aoto from the Access Tokkyu train to a local train on the Keisei Oshiage Line. (The orange "Tra." icon represents transfer, I guess). Between Keisei Takasago and Aoto, the Access Tokkyu and the local train run parallel. So either station can be used to transfer from one to the other. Hyperdia presents these two options as separate itineraries in its search results:

The double arrow icon represents a through train - In the case of trains that roll over from one company's line to another (e.g. Keisei Oshiage line to Toei Asakusa Subway Line), it makes a lot of sense to me. In the case of the double arrow at Keisei Takasago, I'm not even sure why it's there. I presume that the train is moving from one bit of track that's operated by Keisei to another stretch of track that's also operated by Keisei. Perhaps the double arrow at this point is just an instruction to skip to the next song on your iPod.

Hyperdia results page
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you jib71 for going through the options ^

Looking through MU’s flight history there is a strong possibility that our scheduled 9pm arrival will be considerably earlier.
But it will have been a long day with a long Shanghai layover () and I don’t think any of us will be feeling too sharp when we arrive at NRT.

I was hoping there was a handy timetable somewhere of all the trains that went directly from NRT to Sengakuji during the day (tt7’s 10:07am departure is obviously another one) but I feel better knowing I haven’t just missed finding it through idiocy.

In summary - Thank you for holding my hand and confirming the 22:06 options. It seems more probable than I had initially thought that we will be using them. Good to get a handle on them now rather than after the trip from London.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Narita Airport to Sengakuji Station - summary

The Keisei trains that run directly from Narita Airport to Sengakuji Station (which is very close to Shinagawa and a convenient station to arrive from if then taking a taxi towards Azabu Juban or Roppongi - in fact the money saved by not using the NEX will cover the connecting taxi fare if there are two or three people travelling together) seem to be quite frequent throughout the day right up until 18:07 Narita T2, 18:04 for T1, with up to two trains an hour.

Unfortunately, after the 18:04/07 departure the rest of the trains (which also run throughout the day) involve a simple platform cross change at Aoto or Keisei-Takasago as jib71 has described. There is one final exception which is the 23:00/02 departure which goes to Sengakuji directly.
The adult fare for these direct trains is 1,380yen and journey takes roughly 75 minutes. (As a comparison; from NRT to Shinagawa by NEX is 3,190yen and usually takes about 65 minutes)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
For those looking to purchase Shinkansen tickets in advance either for the Tokaido or Sanyo lines, there's an app called smartEX. I believe you can reserve up to a month in advance. You can link the app to an IC card and not worry about paper tickets. However this option is only available for single tickets. One great thing about the app is that you can see the seat availability on dates of travel. This is great if you're going to travel on or around major holidays like New Year's. Currently, the app is only supported for citizens from the following countries: US, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, and Taiwan
SmartEx also offers a discounted Green Class ticket on the first hour of trains with sufficient advanced purchase & availability.

Last edited by freecia; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:18 pm

If you leave Narita via the Skyliner, you can exchange a pre-purchased voucher or buy a ticket from a human at the Skyliner Information office to the left of the escalator rather than the L shaped office by the ticket machines and gate. This video helpfully shows the office location and the line is usually much shorter there https://youtu.be/BWbsj7V7AIk?t=30

I used Klook to buy a PDF ticket voucher from Ueno to Narita and it has the advantage of being able to earn/use Klook points plus Apple/Android Pay with the Klook app. I had some Klook points from purchasing a regional JR Pass, but they also offer other experiences in Tokyo and other countries in addition to hotspot rental or roaming sims. I combined my purchases with Cyber Monday coupon and referral coupon (thanks @kaka). The pricing in JPY->USD seemed close to interbank forex rates and coded as travel on my CC card bill.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:29 am

Klook has made its way to Jpn now?
@ freecia: We learn something new from you every month.

I've only associated them with HKG.
At first I didn't trust Klook when I saw their fishy discount price for HK Disney.
Now I rely on Klook every time I go to HKG.
Hopefully they'll be offering discount Limo Bus tickets and 5000y meet-and-greet minivan transfers from HND to Shinjuku soon.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
had a question on transport.. I land at HND around 2240 and need to get to Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel (Disneyland).. what do you suggest would be the best option.

I checked the limobus but I think that doesnt run after 11pm and I dont think I will be out of the airport till 1130-45 at the minimum
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by salehir
had a question on transport.. I land at HND around 2240 and need to get to Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel (Disneyland).. what do you suggest would be the best option.

I checked the limobus but I think that doesnt run after 11pm and I dont think I will be out of the airport till 1130-45 at the minimum
That's a tough one, since the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel is way on the other side of Tokyo. You will be getting out of Customs and Immigration after 11:00PM if your flight is on time, and the subways and JR trains start shutting down around midnight.

Unless others know of a later train or bus, you have two options:
1. Take a taxi. This will be very expensive, at least US$150 for the 25km distance, more if you start your trip after midnight, according to what I can find online.
2. Cancel your first night's reservation and stay at a hotel closer to the airport or at least to central Tokyo. Proceed to the Sheraton the next day.

I assume your goal is to visit Tokyo Disneyland, because that particular Sheraton is inconvenient for any other purpose. Even if you can't check into your room when you arrive at the Sheraton, the front desk will hold your bags until check-in time and probably move your bags to your room after check-in time, so that you can go off and enjoy Disneyland.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ksandness
That's a tough one, since the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel is way on the other side of Tokyo. You will be getting out of Customs and Immigration after 11:00PM if your flight is on time, and the subways and JR trains start shutting down around midnight.
Cutting it close, but how about Limo Bus to "nearby" destination and then taxiing from there, if OP doesn't/can't overnight near HND? Would probably be cheaper than a single cab ride. There's a 23:40 to Gyotoku Station, or if earlier 23:20 to Shin Urayasu Station.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness

Unless others know of a later train or bus, you have two options:
1. Take a taxi. This will be very expensive, at least US$150 for the 25km distance, more if you start your trip after midnight, according to what I can find online.
2. Cancel your first night's reservation and stay at a hotel closer to the airport or at least to central Tokyo. Proceed to the Sheraton the next day.

I assume your goal is to visit Tokyo Disneyland, because that particular Sheraton is inconvenient for any other purpose. Even if you can't check into your room when you arrive at the Sheraton, the front desk will hold your bags until check-in time and probably move your bags to your room after check-in time, so that you can go off and enjoy Disneyland.
Thanks for the suggestion and yes visiting disneyland for a couple of days before moving south of Japan. I checked the airport hotels and they are pretty much coming up to 160-180USD so my thinking is no point on wasting the money on that I'll check what time I can exit by and as per suggestion above take whatever transport may be available to go straight to the hotel
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salehir

I'd get the mono-rail from Haneda to Tennozu-Isle (13 mins). From there I'd get a train (Rinkai line) to Shin-Kiba (11 mins). At Shin-Kiba, I'd either get a train to Maihama (Keiyo line towards Soga 6 mins) and then a hotel shuttle (if available) or taxi, or just get the taxi from Shin-Kiba station (about 6 miles away, taxi fare approx 3,000yen)
You’d need to catch the monorail at 23: 31, but I think it’s possible.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 1, 2019 at 3:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.