Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 19, 17, 8:52 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: cgtechuk
Wiki Link
Useful threads:


Late-night HND arrival - hotel/transport options

Which city to visit: Nagasaki vs Hiroshima

Suggestions for a Do

Park Hyatt Bar (Lost in Translation - YouTube Vid)

Hotel Options

Hotel High End (>200)
Conrad Tokyo (380 - personal favourite of henkybaby)



Hotel Mid End (100<>200)
Asakusa, Next to Sensoji Shrine
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International 120


Other Options (<100)
Minato District
Hotel Risveglio Akasaka (90, booked by henkybaby)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 15, 17, 10:52 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,853
The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Lots of people will have short visits to Japan (TYO mostly) soon, thanks to Qatar Airways (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...up-thread.html).

This seemed like as good a place as any to exchange tips on (amongst others):
  • Best areas to stay in TYO
  • Best hotels (high/mid/basic)
  • Great TYO restaurants
  • Best day trips ex TYO
  • Best way to get to/from HND/NRT (DOH-HND arrives late)
  • How to get tickets for the Suzuka F1 Grand Prix
  • Best 2 to 3 day breaks ex TYO
  • Public Transport - buy in advance

Etc. Maybe also arrange some 'Do's', while we are at it.

Please, ask away!
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,365
What about JAL domestic flights. According to their website, the SAKITOKU for flights after 26th March will be available from 26th January. Is that for all of 2016 or just the next 3 months or so.

Same goes for some hotels? Do they open for reservation only three months ahead? I've been looking at some hotels, that have no availability after a certain date.

PS: I didn't plan on staying in Tokyo.
WorldLux is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:14 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
What about JAL domestic flights. According to their website, the SAKITOKU for flights after 26th March will be available from 26th January. Is that for all of 2016 or just the next 3 months or so.

Same goes for some hotels? Do they open for reservation only three months ahead? I've been looking at some hotels, that have no availability after a certain date.

PS: I didn't plan on staying in Tokyo.
Flights will just be for the next three month block unfortunately, although should be no need to rush to get the cheapest fares as long as you check around the date they are released.

Hotels vary, it also seems to be more common in Japan for hotels not to load the cheapest advance purchase rates more than 3-6 months out even if they're accepting bookings, so unless you're going at a particularly busy time such as Sakura season or Golden Week it sometimes makes sense to wait.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,333
Good thread idea by the way.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:17 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: South East England
Programs: BAEC, MileagePlus
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Good thread idea by the way.
Seconded, nice!
xhemp is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:22 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,819
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
What about JAL domestic flights. According to their website, the SAKITOKU for flights after 26th March will be available from 26th January. Is that for all of 2016 or just the next 3 months or so.

Same goes for some hotels? Do they open for reservation only three months ahead? I've been looking at some hotels, that have no availability after a certain date.

PS: I didn't plan on staying in Tokyo.
Yes, you're looking too far I think. Consider looking again when you are three months out. That said, nothing in Japan is ever dirt cheap so I wouldn't have huge expectations of grabbing a bargain.

If you are going on a busy day, you could make a refundable reservation now to guarantee a price ceiling but still take advantage of any lower offers you saw.
Calchas is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:26 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,853
Here is a thread for those interested in either Hiroshima or Nagasaki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...hiroshima.html

I am still interested in some off the beaten path tips for excursions from TYO, either day trips or 2 or 3 day trips. Also, what is the weather like in early October? I wanted to go see the snow monkeys in Hokkaido but is that too soon?

Suzuka F1 is also an option but I arrive on the 7th so I could only do the race day. I heard that they only sell 3 day passes so that would be a waste of money. True? Any tips? Anyone a racing driver or big sponsor?

I have only been to Japan 3 times and have not ventured much outside Tokyo, Osaka and Kioto... I need some inspiration!

Last edited by henkybaby; Jan 15, 17 at 11:37 am
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow, UK
Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Lots of people will have short visits to Japan (TYO mostly) soon, thanks to Qatar Airways (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...up-thread.html).

This seemed like as good a place as any to exchange tips on (amongst others):
  • Best areas to stay in TYO
  • Best hotels (high/mid/basic)
  • Great TYO restaurants
  • Best day trips ex TYO
  • Best way to get to/from HND/NRT (DOH-HND arrives late)
  • How to get tickets for the Suzuka F1 Grand Prix
  • Best 2 to 3 day breaks ex TYO
  • Public Transport - buy in advance

Etc. Maybe also arrange some 'Do's', while we are at it.

Please, ask away!
Excellent Idea as I have no idea where to start with accomodation etc, especially my poor choice of week lol
cgtechuk is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Posts: 8,365
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Flights will just be for the next three month block unfortunately,
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Yes, you're looking too far I think. Consider looking again when you are three months out.
That's what I suspected. Still somewhat strange with todays 24/7 connectivity.

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
That said, nothing in Japan is ever dirt cheap so I wouldn't have huge expectations of grabbing a bargain.
Yeah. But JAL has fare loaded into their system that seemed way overpriced (oneways to Kyushu starting at 400$/person). I'll probably book award flights once my travel plans are defined to be on the safe side and cancel them once the discount tickets are in.

I was just surprised that the airlines were doing it too. For individual Shinkansen journeys (where a Railpass is more expensive), I've pretty much walked up the the ticket office and booked same day departures.
WorldLux is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:50 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,853
I have added a Wiki.
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 262
Great topic!

This will be my first time in Japan but since I was already planning a trip for end of this year I already have a couple of pointers and points of interest. I have been using Japan Guide as main point of research because it has plenty of information.

Currently I have the following plan:

- Tokyo + day trip to Nikko + day trip to one of the following: Lake Kawaguchiko, Hakone or Kamakura.
- Kyoto + Osaka + day trip to Nara.
- Mayajima + half a day in Hiroshima + Himeji Castle (to visit on the way between Kyoto and Hiroshima).

I would love to stay in a Ryokan with Onsen around Lake Kawaguchiko, it would be a unique experience and most of them have an excellent view of Mount Fuji. But it is quite expense...

Last edited by justatourist; Jan 15, 17 at 12:20 pm
justatourist is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:53 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,819
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Also, what is the weather like in early October?
Wet and humid in my experience [admittedly in northern Osaka not Tokyo].

Bring an umbrella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo#Climate
Calchas is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:58 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,853
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Wet and humid in my experience [admittedly in northern Osaka not Tokyo].

Bring an umbrella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo#Climate
But...

The best time to visit Tokyo is March, April, October, and November. The weather is nearly perfect, the summer rains and heat have passed, and sightseeing is at its best.
Wait and see, probably.
henkybaby is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 12:00 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,819
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Yeah. But JAL has fare loaded into their system that seemed way overpriced (oneways to Kyushu starting at 400$/person).
JAL only loads full-fare Y/J/F fares on to the public facing GDS for domestic flights. You may find a better deal from their website closer to the time.

Award flights are usually a good deal (in my calculation) if you have the miles.
Calchas is offline  
Old Jan 15, 17, 12:05 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,853
Originally Posted by justatourist View Post
I would love to stay in a Ryokan with Onsen around Lake Kawaguchiko, it would be a unique experience and most of them have an excellent view of Mount Fuji. But it is quite expense...
There is a halfway point. I was looking at a similar trip and this cheap (for the area) B&B/Onsen came recommended. It is not top of the line of course but authentic it is: https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Rev...hi_Prefec.html
henkybaby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: