Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cgtechuk
Useful threads:

Late-night HND arrival - hotel/transport options

Which city to visit: Nagasaki vs Hiroshima

Suggestions for a Do

Park Hyatt Bar (Lost in Translation - YouTube Vid)

Hotel Options

Hotel High End (>€200)
Conrad Tokyo (±€380 - personal favourite of henkybaby)

Hotel Mid End (€100<>€200)
Asakusa, Next to Sensoji Shrine
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International ±€120

Other Options (<€100)
Minato District
Hotel Risveglio Akasaka (±€90, booked by henkybaby)
Print Wikipost

The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
MyFlights app reports that my PNR has changed from Airbus A350 to B787 on the DOH-BRU sectors
It's the same seat, albeit cabin pressure is better on B787 - it should be a good news, no?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by megaloman
It's the same seat, albeit cabin pressure is better on B787 - it should be a good news, no?
I've been on a QR 787 before! I want to try a new aircraft
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
I've been on a QR 787 before! I want to try a new aircraft
I've flown so many A350s by now, including QR one! Would love to try their 787 now
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm traveling on this fare in October and wanted suggestions for a hotel for a four night stay in Tokyo. It will be my first time in Tokyo. Right now, I'm deciding between the Intercontinental ANA or the Hilton Tokyo, as I have IHG Spire Ambassador and Hilton Diamond status. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Hilton Tokyo as it looks like they have a special for 4 night or longer stays, a Junior Suite would be 39,480 Yen/night where at the Intercontinental, a Premier room would be 38,594 Yen. In fact, the Junior Suite at the Hilton is cheaper than the Executive room for the same nights right now.

I've been reading the individual threads for each hotel in the Hilton and IHG subfora, but I was wondering if anyone had stayed at both and could compare how each rate regarding:
  • Quality of rooms/view
  • Quality of lounge/lounge access
  • Location (I like to wander on foot when I'm in a new city, so I'd like to know how each rate for walkability)
  • Chance of upgrade to a suite if I book the cheapest room/what level room would I need to book to get a good chance at a suite
  • Other status benefits
  • Any other thoughts and recommendations

Right now, booking the Hilton Junior Suite seems like the clear winner, especially if I can get that rate with the Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit, since it's only 9000 yen/night +taxes more than the cheapest room at either hotel. But if I could book the cheapest room and save 9000 yen/night and still get upgraded to a suite, I'd want to consider that.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
As someone with no experience of either hotel, but making a similar trip in November, I will offer 'other thoughts and recommendations'.

I did ponder similar choices, and ended up questioning staying in any major chain hotel at all unless it was all redemption based, for a leisure trip.

Cash bookings are overpriced (x2 or more) compared to renting an apartment, a nice one.

If the stays are critical to maintaining status etc. then that's another matter. Everyone prefers different things, but for me I usually forgo the familiarity of hotels like this for something more "authentic" when I can.

I would give consideration to proximity to the Yamanote line on the Metro, which the Hilton certainly has.

If it has to be one of the two, given the choice as presented, I'd go Hilton.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting suggestion, do you mean renting an apartment with AirBNB or something similar?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
My trip is next weekend and we are in Japan for 11 days. We decided to do half Tokyo and half Kyoto/Osaka/Nara.

We looked into AirBnB to get somewhere cheap but decided against it in the end as the extras made it no real cheaper than a hotel.

We are not into big hotels so given that every other corner in Tokyo seems to have an APA hotel for around Ł60 a night that will be nice enough for us. Not really fussed on the size of it to be honest but location was the hardest part to figure out, We looked at Minato / Roppongi / Shibuya / Shinjuku and Ginza. Decided on Minato.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
My trip is next weekend and we are in Japan for 11 days. We decided to do half Tokyo and half Kyoto/Osaka/Nara.

We looked into AirBnB to get somewhere cheap but decided against it in the end as the extras made it no real cheaper than a hotel.

We are not into big hotels so given that every other corner in Tokyo seems to have an APA hotel for around Ł60 a night that will be nice enough for us. Not really fussed on the size of it to be honest but location was the hardest part to figure out, We looked at Minato / Roppongi / Shibuya / Shinjuku and Ginza. Decided on Minato.
Having similar location anxiety.....what sold you on Minato in the end?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by phoneticduck
Having similar location anxiety.....what sold you on Minato in the end?
Hi, I had a look through some of the posts in this forum and PM'd someone who was active in a lot of the posts the best locations to stay in as they stay in Tokyo, I then had a check on the Japan Travel Subreddit on Reddit and Minato although not a location is a ward with good transport links around Tokyo so we went with that. The final deciding factor was that we get into HND late at night and wanted somewhere that was quite easy to get to from the airport
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
AA to HND or JAL to NRT

I'm looking to get a flight from LAX to Japan and was wondering what the better economy option would be between taking AA to HND or JAL to NRT. I know HND is way closer and easier to get to Tokyo but is the flight experience going to be much worse than JAL? They're both priced the same with similar times so wanted to know what ppl would take if they had a choice.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
In terms of hard product, JL might have a small edge over AA given that JL has a 3-3-3 config. on their 77W and a 2-4-2 on their 787.

I'm not sure why you are posting this in the QR Sake sale travel advice thread.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Any seasoned Tokyo travellers already out there, who can help me get the most out of our Visit?

Flying on NRT at 1840 on Saturday, so hope to be at the hotel around 20:00. We are staying at the place @henkybaby recommended (minato area). Back on Tuesday with the 22:20 flight.
Since we are on European time, I want to hit the streets directly after we checked into our hotel and don't adjust to the timezone difference to much (hence: stay up late, be out of bed on time).

What is the best strategy to get most out of our 1 evening, two full day's and 2/3 day?
Interested in culture and customs (not those at the border ;-) ) and food.
We did a "food tours" in different countries/cities and really liked it, because you can learn a lot of a culture by what they eat, how and when. Any recommendations are very much appreciated, since we are traveling in the beginning of June.
Not that much interested in museums, or it must be historical like war.

All tips on places to visit, restaurants to eat, things to see are really appreciated! I just realised that it is only a couple of days in Tokyo, and i want to hit the ground running
Old May 5, 2017, 12:11 pm

As my sake fare isn't till later in the year I can't recommend anything yet, but i did enjoy this
and these guys share a similar approach to places by experiencing the culture via food.

On the timezone switch, I'm considering making the adjustment to Tokyo time before I get on the plane, so that when I land I'm ready to hit the sack. Each to their own, but for me I always struggle to sleep on planes.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Case
Any seasoned Tokyo travellers already out there, who can help me get the most out of our Visit?
Just hit the streets of Tokyo. It's not that difficult to be honest. You can do a neighborhood approach (visiting 1 neighborhood in the morning and another one in the evening).

2 1/2 days is honestly not that much. As a first timer, I would definitely limit it to the essential sights and try as much different food as possible. There's so much different food, I can't get back home at all or in an even remotely similar quality.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Originally Posted by WorldLux

2 1/2 days is honestly not that much. As a first timer, I would definitely limit it to the essential sights and try as much different food as possible. There's so much different food, I can't get back home at all or in an even remotely similar quality.
Which essential sites should i not miss as a first timer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.