Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by mkjr
for the swallows, visiting fans are typically on the third base outfield and generally on the side of the visitors dug out, which you should be able to glean in the pics here.
For any readers trying to figure this out in the future - it flows from the side of the field that the home team's dugout is on.

Most teams' ticket purchase websites that I have used lately have indicated the home team's side, but not necessarily in English.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here's an article in English about the seating etiquette:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2...nese-baseball/
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
“the baseball team I do not care to say the name out loud.”
Team Voldemort
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:27 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We went to a Yomiyuri Giants game a couple of days ago. It was against the Yokohama Baystars. Most of of the third-base side of the stadium was filled with Baystars fans. This surprised me, since I had read online that Giants games are mostly Giants fans, but for a few select visitor seating sections.

We sat on the third base side, upper deck, about halfway between third base and the left field foul pole. There was only a smattering of Giants fans around us. Which was too bad, since we wore our SF Giants gear and were hoping to be part of the crowd. On the other hand, it was a blowout by the Baystars, so we got most of the cheering action around us.

All in all, the game was great fun and we were really glad we went. Nothing like an American game as far as the crowd is concerned.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
We went to a Yomiyuri Giants game a couple of days ago. It was against the Yokohama Baystars. Most of of the third-base side of the stadium was filled with Baystars fans. This surprised me, since I had read online that Giants games are mostly Giants fans, but for a few select visitor seating sections.

We sat on the third base side, upper deck, about halfway between third base and the left field foul pole. There was only a smattering of Giants fans around us. Which was too bad, since we wore our SF Giants gear and were hoping to be part of the crowd. On the other hand, it was a blowout by the Baystars, so we got most of the cheering action around us.

All in all, the game was great fun and we were really glad we went. Nothing like an American game as far as the crowd is concerned.
So the 1st base/right field side is the traditional Giants fan side?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:15 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by codex57
So the 1st base/right field side is the traditional Giants fan side?
Yes.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:33 am

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by mkjr
for the swallows, visiting fans are typically on the third base outfield and generally on the side of the visitors dug out, which you should be able to glean in the pics here.
We just went to the Tigers vs Swallows game at Jingu Stadium. Sat on the third base side. 3rd row from the front.

First, what great sight lines. We sat right behind the Tiger's bullpen. Can't believe how close you are to the field.

Second, what a small small stadium. The outfield wall should be a monster wall to adjust for the size of the stadium. - that being said, it was pretty funny to see Randy Messenger hit a home run. Pitcher's should be able to do that so easily.

Third, bathrooms. I have seen bathrooms in China that were better designed. They need to do an upgrade. The lineup for the women's bathroom was so long that my wife missed two innings.

Fourthly, what crappy food selections. They should create some iconic food specific to the team. Tiger's okonomiaki. Giant BBQ, Yakult milk duds..... something. (and no, Tiger's Koshien curry does not count)

Lastly, the Tiger fans seems to have taken over more than half of the stands. Atmosphere was less noisy than Koshien but it felt like a home game.

Japanese baseball, while at times pretty bush, still is a great way to spend an evening. Now have to decide which stadium to visit next.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Fourthly, what crappy food selections. They should create some iconic food specific to the team. Tiger's okonomiaki. Giant BBQ, Yakult milk duds..... something. (and no, Tiger's Koshien curry does not count)
Agree with you on that one.

At one game I saw some fans gulping down a platter of hot dogs (sans bun) Just a heap of wieners slathered in ketchup and mustard. I think they were selling KFC as well.

No wonder so many fans stop for food on the way to the game (on the walk from the subway station to the stadium there are all kinds of opportunities plus vendors selling bento boxes).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:30 am

At Koshien I tried the yakitori (yum) and the teriyaki pizza (not so yum).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Kyocera Osaka Dome

We went to the annual "Coming of Age" promotion game between ORIX Buffaloes and Softbank Hawks. Lower third base side (visitors) and sections of the visitors and home outfield is complimentary.

First, as a baseball stadium. It was very comfortable. Indoor, air conditioned, fairly modern designed bathrooms that can absorb the mad rush. The sight lines were decent. We had two foul balls land near us. One row in front and one two rows behind.

That being said, it did lack a bit of atmosphere. Maybe because we were sitting in the complimentary area, we had less committed fans but it really lacked something that both Kosien and Jingu stadiums had. I saw many reading email, playing games and many left after the 9th inning even when we were obviously going into extra innings.

Second, the food offering was much better. It had Mos Burger, Bento dinners, standard stadium concession however they also had a couple of Buffaloes specials that were a step in the right direction. The "toribo" is their team special snack. It is very similar to the KFC "chicken fries" concept. Battered, fried, chicken meat shaped like a stick and heavily salted. This item must help beer and cold drink sales.

The other interesting food item is their foot long hot dog. It was more like a European wiener slathered with mustered and ketchup in a hot dog bun but I appreciated the fact it felt like ball game food.

Of note, the Aeon Mall next door has a 5 hour free parking with 2,000 yen purchase. Not a bad deal considering the ridiculous parking prices nearby.

Thirdly, transportation was very good. Near the JR Taisho station and the Hanshin Stadium station, people can get to and away fairly easy.

The walk off home run in the bottom of the 12th inning was an interesting way to end the game.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Bumping thread. I've added a few new photos, as my first visits to Koshien Stadium and Mazda Zoom Zoom Stadium were during preseason games before half empty stadiums.

I re-visited both earlier this year for proper regular season games. I've also added some more info about seat selection at Yokohama Stadium, I think I've been there 6-7 times now. I just left Japan today and probably won't be back until the 2019 season.

I also ran across this very good recent overview of visiting various stadiums in Japan: https://thetruejapan.com/tokyo-baseb...-of-the-crowd/
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:19 am

Inspired in part by this thread and in part my pre-existing love of NPB games, in August, I'll be visiting the six main home stadiums for games that I've not been to before. That would be Lions, Marines, Hawks, Carp, Eagles, and Fighters, over a ~10 day stretch.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angra
Inspired in part by this thread and in part my pre-existing love of NPB games, in August, I'll be visiting the six main home stadiums for games that I've not been to before. That would be Lions, Marines, Hawks, Carp, Eagles, and Fighters, over a ~10 day stretch.
Nice! Have a good time. Watch out for the sun if it’s a day game for the Marines. Have you gotten all the tickets already?

One of these days I’d love to see a comprehensive step by step guide to how to buy tickets yourself for each and every team. The Lions Marines Fighters and now Carp have easy to use websites, I forget about the Hawks and Eagles.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:50 am

The fighters game that I plan to attend is not yet (as far as I can find) selling tickets, but I have the other five purchased.

I think that making and maintaining that guide might be more work than it first appears. I'm not saying no one should do it, but the options have gotten pretty varied, and it seems to change/evolve frequently. Maybe a wiki at the top of the other currently active thread might make sense so that it can be updated as time goes on. And a simplifying assumption that the purchaser is currently outside Japan and has no Japanese phone number or in-place assistance to lean on would be in order to keep the number of possibilities manageable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.