Reload this Page >

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Old Sep 12, 16, 7:56 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by LC USC View Post
So anyone wanna be the guinea pig to test the scenario? :P

I don't own nor want an Apple Watch so someone else will have to take one for the team!
I'll probably bite the bullet (but will wait for independent confirmation from Twitter/etc. that it works with at least a Japanese iPhone 6S or earlier).

I have both a Japanese iPhone 6S and an US iPhone SE, so I can test if pairing the Japanese Apple Watch with an SE will allow me to use Suica. If not, I can give up my small phone dreams and go back to my ginormous iPhone 6S
Old Sep 12, 16, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'll probably bite the bullet (but will wait for independent confirmation from Twitter/etc. that it works with at least a Japanese iPhone 6S or earlier).

I have both a Japanese iPhone 6S and an US iPhone SE, so I can test if pairing the Japanese Apple Watch with an SE will allow me to use Suica. If not, I can give up my small phone dreams and go back to my ginormous iPhone 6S
I just researched this topic a little bit more and found this gem: http://japanese.engadget.com/2016/09...hone-5-felica/

Basically, from the official website: http://www.apple.com/jp/apple-pay/getting-started/ where they lay out the options for using Apple Pay (the combination of iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch) and what is possible with each combination, you can see that, by pairing with an iPhone 5 or newer AND Apple Watch Series 2 (I assume the Apple Watch has to be Japan model, following the iPhone route), you CAN use Apple Watch Series 2 for transit.

Also, SUICA from JR East is probably just one of the firsts (iD from NTT Docomo, QuickPay, are also mentioned in the same link) in line for ApplePay to be used more widely in Japan, as the underlying technology is FeliCa and there's no reason other FeliCa based payment systems couldn't use ApplePay if they work with Apple for the integration.
Old Sep 12, 16, 10:47 pm
KPT

Sweet! Guinea pig status, here I come!
Old Sep 16, 16, 12:13 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by photaco View Post
It shouldn't matter how many people in Japan use Suica, when interoperation is a thing...

I think you vastly underestimate how many people in Japan will actually be able to use this.
Basically everyone buys a train pass for their work - these are (almost all) IC cards and, in general, the train pass is only issued on that company's IC card. For example, in Kansai there is Icoca (from JR West) and PiTaPa (basically everyone else) - they're interoperable, but you can't get an Osaka subway train pass on Icoca. This winds up being a huge thing - there is no real advantage to this for people who don't have JR East train passes (actually, there is a disadvantage as you go from one card to this plus a second card).

Until Apple gets other operators on board it is basically worthless for most of the population.
Old Sep 16, 16, 12:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, OZ*G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by acregal View Post
Basically everyone buys a train pass for their work - these are (almost all) IC cards and, in general, the train pass is only issued on that company's IC card. For example, in Kansai there is Icoca (from JR West) and PiTaPa (basically everyone else) - they're interoperable, but you can't get an Osaka subway train pass on Icoca. This winds up being a huge thing - there is no real advantage to this for people who don't have JR East train passes (actually, there is a disadvantage as you go from one card to this plus a second card).

Until Apple gets other operators on board it is basically worthless for most of the population.
There's the possibility that they thought JR East was enough to start, given it covers roughly half of Honshu... right? I thought JR East was responsible for Tokyo, the surroundings, and everything north of it and south of Hokkaido.
Old Sep 16, 16, 4:11 am
KPT

Also, don't forget the points. This IS Flyertalk, after all. You may not be eligible to get the Suica/PASMO/etc. bonuses that you normally get if you autocharge through the respect network.
Old Sep 16, 16, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Also, don't forget the points. This IS Flyertalk, after all. You may not be eligible to get the Suica/PASMO/etc. bonuses that you normally get if you autocharge through the respect network.
This is actually a bonus for me (tourist) since I load my IC transit card with cash as I don't have mobile suica. 1x to Apple Pay to recharge Suica beats no points. And I'd be able to load it when I remember instead of stopping at a station kiosk or combini. It'd be useful to load credit while at the airport arrivals, for example, and to be able to check the balance with an iPhone from anywhere in the world.
Old Sep 16, 16, 8:49 pm
KPT

I mean, it's a boon for me too because I can just use whatever credit card I want, such as a Japanese AMEX card which doesn't have these features.

That said, we would be counted as less than 0.1% of the usage of the product
There are millions of people who have standard 定期券 and/or SUICA/PASMO based credit cards with their own points systems. People will waste seconds, if not minutes, getting points for a purchase even if the time spent wasn't worth it.
Old Sep 16, 16, 10:44 pm

More information time!

According to JR East https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160906.pdf (PDF in Japanese), you can register multiple SUICA cards (regular pass, monthly pass, My Suica?) onto your iPhone then Apple Watch? (sorry I don't have Apple Watch so I don't know how Apple Pay works exactly on the watch).

You can also recharge the regular pass or renew the monthly pass using Apple Pay through iPhone with American Express, JCB, MasterCard, and View Card (the credit card issued by JR East). VISA is missing from the list in the document, so not sure if they will allow recharge/renew with foreign credit cards registered with Apple Pay.
Old Sep 16, 16, 10:48 pm

Sweet! Guinea pig status, here I come!
More more information from a FAQ: http://ushigyu.net/2016/09/08/iphone-7-felica/

Looks like you do NEED an iPhone 7 to read SUICA then transfer to Apple Watch Series 2, so if you haven't bought it/bought it but hasn't opened it yet, stop!

This is a disappointment.
Old Sep 17, 16, 2:35 am
KPT

That's just bad. Good thing I didn't hit the order button yet.

EDIT: It's also weird that it contradicts the official Japanese Apple Pay intro page too.

Last edited by KPT; Sep 17, 16 at 2:57 am
Old Sep 17, 16, 6:58 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by jamar View Post
There's the possibility that they thought JR East was enough to start, given it covers roughly half of Honshu... right? I thought JR East was responsible for Tokyo, the surroundings, and everything north of it and south of Hokkaido.
In terms of geographic area, about a third or so - Chubu and Kansai (and Chugoku and Hokuriku) are different companies. Even for people living in Kanto, the fact that you can't get a train pass on (most, I assume - it is that way in Kansai) non-JR lines is a huge minus. You can use it on non-JR lines, but if your train pass isn't on JR East it is a huge minus.
Old Sep 18, 16, 8:21 am

I'll be going to Japan late October and my wife and I will both have the new iPhones. We'll let you know the result but would also appreciate feedback from anyone going earlier.
Old Sep 18, 16, 8:34 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by arct View Post
I'll be going to Japan late October and my wife and I will both have the new iPhones. We'll let you know the result but would also appreciate feedback from anyone going earlier.
Only iPhones purchased in Japan are compatible with the contactless terminals that are installed at Japanese railway stations etc. Unless you purchase your devices in Japan, they will not work with most systems in Japan:
http://www.nfcworld.com/2016/09/07/3...ple-pay-japan/
Old Sep 18, 16, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
Only iPhones purchased in Japan are compatible with the contactless terminals that are installed at Japanese railway stations etc. Unless you purchase your devices in Japan, they will not work with most systems in Japan:
http://www.nfcworld.com/2016/09/07/3...ple-pay-japan/
If my phones have apple pay accounts active, will this work with anything else in Japan?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: