FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Mid-to-High end Tokyo Food recs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1787385-mid-high-end-tokyo-food-recs.html)

angra Aug 28, 16 6:00 pm

oh that's not my blog :) Just one that I like for good reviews.

evergrn Aug 28, 16 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by MisterSelfish (Post 27131681)
My folks are flying in for the holidays. Somehow I managed to sweet talk them into staying at our place and watching my daughter for a week. It may or may not have involved wine last Thanksgiving. It probably also helps that she's their only grand child so far.

Never heard of Gajoen, but the area looks pretty - I'll check it out.

Lucky you. Alas we don't have a single relative in N.America to come and look after our kids.

Gajoen is not an area, but a complex in an area called Meguro. It's primarily a wedding/banquet venue, but it's a really stunning place with a large glass atrium that exudes traditional Japanese elegance.

http://thenextstopper.blogspot.com/2...en-meguro.html

http://adventuresofanette.blogspot.c...to-giblis.html

fimo Aug 28, 16 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by angra (Post 27131274)
You can always try some super-fancy tonkatsu at Butagumi (review). I gave it a try on my last visit and enjoyed it, though it did lead me to question just how much yen I wanted to spend on Katsu.

Butagumi has another branch in the basement of Roppongi Hills, right next to Afuri ramen. It's easier to get to and i understand has much more accessible pricing. It's open kitchen with counter seats on three sides, and very striking visually. On my last trip we stumbled upon this and ended up eating at Afuri (which is now my favourite ramen as I love the light yuzu scented stock), and doing a takeaway from Butagumi for supper later. It held up really well, we stayed in an Airbnb and so used the fish roaster to warm up the katsu.

A sushi place I can recommend is Kyubey at Ginza. It's quite a large establishment but divided into small rooms so it does have that intimate feel. Large means easy to get a seat, I didn't even bother with reservations, I simply swung by after a morning excursion at Tsukiji to put my name down for lunch. They only accept reservations for the 1130AM lunch seating, subsequent seatings are first come first serve. Knowing that we'd have eaten quite a bit from Tsukiji we figured it would be perfect timing to go at 1130 when they open to put our name down for a later lunch. The omakase is about 7500Y and up, the itamae are friendly and speak english, and entertained all manner of questions from me as I was interested to know the japanese names of the seafood I had.

Another place I can recommend is Imahan for sukiyaki. The beef is amazing, service is top-notch, and they have multiple branches over Tokyo, I went to the one at the top floor of Takashimaya Shinjuku. I usually eat off hours to avoid crowds, so had an early dinner, just did a walk in waited maybe 5mins for a table to free up.

txflyer77 Aug 28, 16 10:43 pm

I'll second Butagumi and Afuri. Stumbled onto both when I was staying at the Grand Hyatt. I'm heading to Tokyo with friends for a week next month and plan on taking them to both.

LizGross144 Aug 31, 16 6:55 pm

Following this thread, as I have a similar request. I'll be in Tokyo Dec 25-29, and spending Jan 1-5 in Osaka, where I hope to prevail over the holiday closings.

In Tokyo we're staying at the Hyatt Regency, so I've definitely earmarked Imahan for sukiyaki. Sounds memorable AND convenient.

We are adventurous eaters that like to eat whatever is authentic local cuisine. We're considering a lunch at Narisawa, and will be eating our fair share of sushi (there are plenty of threads to give us that information). We expect to spend at least 5,000 yen per person for dinner, and will go up to 30,000 for 1-2 meals per trip (Narisawa and Tempura Matsu in Kyoto will probably be those meals for us)

lobsterdog Aug 31, 16 10:49 pm

Since OP will be staying at the Andaz, I would highly recommend Anpuku in Toranomon Hills. Their main focus is fusion-style udon noodles, but you can also get charcoal-grilled meats and fish and other upscale izakaya-style dishes.

They also have a very nice selection of maybe two dozen craft sake from around Japan, and you can optionally have them served in small-size tasting glasses, so you can try several different types of sake during your meal.

Anpuku is in the Toranomon Hills shopping complex, where the Andaz is located, and there are lots of other restaurants there as well. I'm not sure what days they will be closed for the holiday though, so check their schedule ahead of time.

bocastephen Nov 28, 16 3:37 pm

After deciding to give the A5 Wagyu lunch set a try at Matsurokuya and just missing the cutoff for the first sitting, we decided to do Katsu instead and found an absolutely delicious off-the-beaten path location of Imakatsu near Roppongi. Just around the corner from Matsurokuya and across from a Mini-stop convenience shop, the restaurant opens at 1130A for lunch and serves delicious, perfectly prepared Katsu in pork or chicken at far lower prices than Maisen or some of the other 'branded' Katsu shops.