Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo - First Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Tokyo - First Visit

Going to Tokyo for the first time in two weeks. SO EXCITED! I have a few questions.

I arrive at HND from LAX at 10:30 PM. Any suggestions for an ATM at the airport? How about in Tokyo near Park Hyatt?

Will taxis be readily available at that time? Do taxis take credit and cash?

For some reason, I'm a bit nervous landing so late at night.

ERQ
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
From what I recall, there are about 3 ATMs immediately outside the sterile areas of arrivals, all along the wall behind you back as you exit that area.

Be aware that not all ATMs in Japan work smoothly with American bank cards. 7-11, Post Offices, and the Airport are all safe havens.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:38 pm

7-11 ATM's are the ones I always look for and they're extremely easy to find. That said, I always recommend getting some yen at your departure airport just in case; you never know what might happen. You can easily get some yen at LAX. Exchange rate won't be the best but just consider the extra $3 or $4 you might pay to change $100 to be part of the cost of your trip - shouldn't be too hard to absorb.

Taxis do take both credit and cash. If you end up paying cash, just remember not to tip. (You won't have the option if paying by credit card.)
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by basscadet75
Taxis do take both credit and cash.
Probably most do, but not all. Well, I don't take taxis much in Tokyo. But at least in other areas of Kanto, there're taxis that don't take credit card. You should always ask if they take credit card before getting on the taxi.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Here is a map of the international arrivals lobby. Note the pair of ATMs flanking the gateway from the sterile to open areas. These definitely work with US cards.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: AAdv, Mileage Plus
I took that same flight twice already this year. Rest assured the airport is still buzzing at that time.

I can't speak about ATMs, but I know the money exchange office in the arrivals terminal is still open at that time. I prefer bringing USD to Japan and changing it to Yen because I know places that offer very competitive rates. The office in Haneda airport is decent, I think the real time rate was 1USD=115Y and I was able to get it for 1USD=112Y, no commission fees. The office is to the left once you exit baggage claim area.

Near Park Hyatt, in Shinjuku, there is an area known as piss alley. In Japanese, it's something like omoideyokochyou which translates to memory lane. I know how to get there by exiting from the east exit of the JR shinjuku station. Once exiting, take a left and you will see a huge smoking area and pass this area there is a tunnel. Enter the tunnel and on the other side is piss alley. In piss alley, there are many exchange offices offering the best rates I've found in Tokyo. There you can get yen within 1-2 yen of the real time rate. Sucks that the yen is much stronger now than at the beginning of the year.

I hardly take taxis in Japan, but I would venture to guess you will have zero problems finding a honest one at Haneda. The couple of times I've taken taxis in Japan, they all took ccs.

If you feel adventurous, take the tokyo monorail to hamatsucho and transfer to the JR yamanoate line to Shinjuku to get to Park Hyatt. The lines will still be operating. It won't be crowded at that time and you can "get your feet wet" with the transit system before your next full day in Tokyo.

Tokyo and Japan are fabulous. Enjoy!!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
OP - taxis are no issue at all at that time and from haneda I've never had one that didn't take CC....

When you come out of customs just walk straight and take the escalator down to street level - go out the door and turn right - the taxi line will be there. Please be aware that a taxi will be expensive - I'd think around 7,000 yen...
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
OP - taxis are no issue at all at that time and from haneda I've never had one that didn't take CC....

When you come out of customs just walk straight and take the escalator down to street level - go out the door and turn right - the taxi line will be there. Please be aware that a taxi will be expensive - I'd think around 7,000 yen...
If the OP is staying at the Park Hyatt, then the expense of a cab probably isn't a concern, but taking the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then the Yamanote Line to Shinjuku Station and taking a cab from there would be more of a Tokyo adventure. However, between jet lag and unfamiliarity with the city, a cab may be a better option.

Cab drivers most likely know where the Park Hyatt is, but you may have a problem with the driver understanding what you are saying, in which case, you may have to resort to using Japanese pronunciation:

Pah-ku Hai-ya-to Ho-teh-ru
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
If the OP is staying at the Park Hyatt, then the expense of a cab probably isn't a concern, but taking the monorail to Hamamatsucho and then the Yamanote Line to Shinjuku Station and taking a cab from there would be more of a Tokyo adventure. However, between jet lag and unfamiliarity with the city, a cab may be a better option.

Cab drivers most likely know where the Park Hyatt is, but you may have a problem with the driver understanding what you are saying, in which case, you may have to resort to using Japanese pronunciation:

Pah-ku Hai-ya-to Ho-teh-ru
Thank you to everyone with your replies.

@ksandness - I was curious about this. Through Google maps, I found this Japanese writing which I assume is "Park Hyatt." I planned to hand a written note with the destination. Can anyone confirm? Can anyone give me the address in Japanese?

パーク ハイアット 東京

ERQ
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

My partner and I will be using the mass transit system after we get settled into our hotel. We will be traveling with 4 pieces of luggage, which I think is a bit much for the trek to the hotel.

Interestingly, Park Hyatt Tokyo quoted 50,000 Yen for a hired car from HND! This seems a bit excessive given that a taxi ride should be around 7,000 Yen. If the quote were 25,000 Yen, I would've considered it for the ease and convenience.

ERQ
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
I found this Japanese writing which I assume is "Park Hyatt." Can anyone confirm?
...Can anyone give me the address in Japanese?
パーク ハイアット 東京
Yes, "パーク ハイアット 東京" means Park Hyatt Tokyo.
The full address (2, 3丁目-7-1 西新宿 新宿区 東京都) is really unnecessary.

Every taxi driver will know the location of the Park Hyatt.
Have a good trip !
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
...a taxi ride should be around 7,000 Yen. If the quote were 25,000 Yen, I would've considered it for the ease and convenience.
Just take a regular taxi from the airport, which should be in the 7,000-8,000 yen range.
Don't stress about it; the driver will get you to the hotel without any problems.

http://www.taxiautofare.com/jp/Defau...yatt&Time=1534
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:25 pm

Any cab driver servicing the Haneda Airport International Terminal who doesn't understand "Park Hyatt" needs to find a new line of work!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:13 pm

Write down the address if you can. I actually did take a cab to the Park Hyatt once, with a friend visiting from overseas, and the driver tried to take us to the Hyatt Regency.

Every cab driver has a first day of work. Some of them are laid-off office workers, not lifetime drivers. They're human beings, not machines, and they have a hard job.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: Dirt
Or just print this out and hand it to the driver: http://www.parkhyatttokyo.com/Contac...aneda_text.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.