Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

J-Residents - How to Earn Miles in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J-Residents - How to Earn Miles in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Question J-Residents - How to Earn Miles in Japan?

Hey guys! Background for me is that I'm seriously considering a job offer in Tokyo.

I've looked though ANA and JAL rewards, as well as a slew of other sources. Mileage accumulation seems like a much different (and less fruitful) game on that side of the Pacific. For example, some cards charge 10,000 yen AF just so you can earn 1 mile per 100 yen. With no bonus categories!

Do you guys have any tips or methods, for building miles through JPY? Feel free to mention helpful sites/resources. Thanks!!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:33 am

Never tried it myself and also not sure of the exact mechanics but an easy way would be to link your PASMO to a miles earning credit card like the ANA To Me JCB card.
Japanese link: http://www.to-me-card.jp/campaign/tome_ana/

I say easy in that spending money on trains and charging your PASMO is something that is done frequently. But otherwise the application process, information gathering, and other details can be hard to navigate for non-Japanese speakers.

Simple approach would be to get a no forex fee US issued credit card using your US address.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:35 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I suggest you do a search for -- but the short answer is to try and churn US cards using your US address (assuming you have one and have a SSN). Otherwise, prepare to start flying -- most programs outside of the US are not nearly as generous with mileage bonuses and credit card miles.

For more details I suggest you ask in the fora of the respective mileage programs.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, it looks like the situation is basically what I was expecting.

I'll be paid in JPY, so I'll probably just go for a ANA CC slash one with Edy or Suica capabilities. Train costs do add up!

If I was getting paid in USD, I could keep the churn going with no-FX cards. Guess I'll just have to step up to a multinational employer!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I suggest you do a search for -- but the short answer is to try and churn US cards using your US address (assuming you have one and have a SSN). Otherwise, prepare to start flying -- most programs outside of the US are not nearly as generous with mileage bonuses and credit card miles.

For more details I suggest you ask in the fora of the respective mileage programs.
Note also though if you hold a domestic credit card for ANA / JAL, you only need to do mileage run once, and by applying respective ANA Super Flyer Club / JAL JMB Global Club, you will continue enjoying the elite service until you stop paying the credit card fee.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
One of my Japanese friend went back to Tokyo 2~3 years ago and is on a high paid job. However it took her two years just to get her credit card limit raised from 100,000 yen to 200,000 yen (no more I believe).

So I won't bet on mileage accumulation especially if you are new to Japan.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:29 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
The game is slightly different here -- you can maintain status, but not get as many signup bonus miles. For example I hold the DL AMEX and that grants me DL Gold while I continue to hold the card, without having actually qualified for DL Gold.

JAL and ANA have the same scheme after qualifying for Sapphire or Platinum respectively.

In some respects, this is a slightly more sustainable system where you actually have to fly, but you get all or most of the perks of the status including the bonus miles. I suppose fewer people are willing to pay the annual fee just to keep their status, and so it's not as bad to have people keep their status around (especially if it's light usage)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.