Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
First time in Japan

So i have a friend who will be traveling to Tokyo in October. He was there during the World Cup with his friends and he said he can't remenber much about Tokyo..the guy actually took a cab from Narita to Tokyo. So this time he is going with his wife and two young kids. The wife is doing the planning this time. Flying 12 hours from YYZ to NRT and then taking the NEX to Shinjuku. The wife said no to Ueno (my suggestion ). They only want to take direct trains to some where ..so Shinjuku it is the wife concluded. I think they're mad so i keep trying to tell her to go Keisei and stay in Ueno.But their parenting is kind of weird and everywhere they go they just seem to sirens a lot of time in toy stores only so the wife says we're probably going to spend a lot of time in kiddyland (in harajuku area). They're staying at a air bnb near the Washington hotel near the TMG. Am i over reacting that they're going to get lost. After all it is Shinjuku station...and yes they happened to arrive around rush hour too. Luggage...kids...3 and 6..
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta
Recommend the bus. Much easier with kids and luggage. If they don't listen to you, well it's their trip.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Some people are so trapped by their idée fixe that it's pointless to argue.
My guess is that they'll do just fine ...
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:51 am

Maybe they wanted to stay in a neighborhood with fewer brothels and fewer aggressive touts on the street.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:29 am

Personally I'd rather stay in Shinjuku than Ueno for a vacation in Tokyo. If they're staying right next to Washington Hotel, then the limo bus makes the most sense as long as the timing works out. Otherwise I too would opt for the direct NEx over Skyliner. I'm sure they'll get lost a bit here and there, but they'll probably do fine in the end.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Eh, it's their trip. Give them a copy of Lonely Planet and wish them a happy vacation.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by nishimark
Recommend the bus. Much easier with kids and luggage. If they don't listen to you, well it's their trip.
The people who owns the air bnb suggested limousine bus which stopsnext door to the building but their kids are not good with motionsickness and puke simultaneously on the dad when they were in London last year
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA, NW
When I was a kid, car trips were one of the few times we were allowed to drink cola drinks, but there's an ingredient in them that actually soothes nausea.

Give each kid one of those little cans of Coke from a vending machine before the bus trip.

Unless, of course, the children are the kind of precious snowflakes between whose lips soft drinks are never allowed to pass.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ginger ale is even better than Coke.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
puke simultaneously on the dad
that's lovely. that's perfect timing and coordination.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:04 am

The northern end of the Shinjuku NEX platform leads to a walkway where there's a lift to the main station's ground level. From there they can catch a taxi although crush hour will be tricky. With kids I would have stayed farther south somewhere along the Yamanote line for quicker trips to Daiba and Tokyo, but the Omotesando Hills area is likely enough for the youngest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.