Community
Wiki Posts
Search

registered sex offender traveling to Japan question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

registered sex offender traveling to Japan question

Hello all, so my spouse is a registered sex offender and we want to travel to Tokyo but cannot find any information whether registered sex offender can enter Japan or not. Tried to email the embassy, but no response. Anyone has any insights on this please? We don't want to spend several money and end up being denied at the port of entry in Tokyo.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Your spouse might just apply for a visa to be certain.

Good luck!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Your spouse might just apply for a visa to be certain.

Good luck!
Are you saying that apply for visa even though US passport does not require a visa to enter Japan?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:09 pm
Suspended

If I've read correctly, the Japan immigration form has a question asking whether the traveler has ever had any criminal convictions. I'm not sure if that is still the case. I'd think you need to get this very specific question dealt with before planning a trip by consulting the embassy or consulate.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I would call the Japanese consulate rather than emailing them, given your spouse has been convicted of a misdemeanor/felony, and the entry form clearly asks whether you have ever been convicted of a crime (regardless of severity). Given the nature of the crime there is a possibility that you will not be admitted to Japan under the Visa Waiver Program and would have to apply for a visa.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Japanese law states that a non-Japanese citizen who committed a crime outside of Japan which is equivalent of one year or longer jail sentence in Japan will not be allowed entry into Japan.

I do agree with other that your spouse do need to contact Japanese consulate. One important thing to remember is that obtaining Japanese visa is no guarantee of entrance to Japan. An officer at a passport control at arriving airport at Japan has final say in if a person is allowed into Japan. Having valid visa or not is irrelevant.

This is not just in Japan. The U.S. make same point regarding the U.S. visa. The U.S. dose mention in writing to visa applicants that obtaining the U.S. visa does not guarantee entrance to the U.S. Immigration officer at first entry point of the U.S. has final discretion on deciding a person is allowed into the U.S. or not regardless of a person having the valid U.S. visa.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:20 pm

I would think there's quite a few people out there, even amongst educated white-collar business travelers, who have convictions on their record for some misdemeanor... perhaps higher % than we think. I wonder if one smear on your record like that will make any foreign travel a difficult proposition for you forever and ever. If a person checks off that he/she's been convicted on that Jpn immigration form, I wonder if that automatically leads to denial of entry under visa waiver every time.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Interesting question
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by evergrn
I would think there's quite a few people out there, even amongst educated white-collar business travelers, who have convictions on their record for some misdemeanor... perhaps higher % than we think. I wonder if one smear on your record like that will make any foreign travel a difficult proposition for you forever and ever. If a person checks off that he/she's been convicted on that Jpn immigration form, I wonder if that automatically leads to denial of entry under visa waiver every time.
Generally a misdemeanor conviction will not carry a sentence of more than a year, which seems to be the standard quoted above. The other question might be does any felony conviction automatically bar entry?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Generally a misdemeanor conviction will not carry a sentence of more than a year, which seems to be the standard quoted above. The other question might be does any felony conviction automatically bar entry?
[emphasis added] Some misdemeanors do have greater than 1 year....

Either way, this is where one would hire an immigration lawyer. No need to have any surprises on entry. We have people turned away by the US on a whim all the time. Just happens. We then have to sort it out after the fact....but that is easier since its usually at a pre-clearance airport in Canada....so not a big deal but getting turned around in japan...that would suck.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mkjr
Either way, this is where one would hire an immigration lawyer.
If OP is planning visit to Japan as a vacation, then it may not be worth going through that much trouble (both time and money) to secure spouse’s trouble free entrance to Japan.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If OP is planning visit to Japan as a vacation, then it may not be worth going through that much trouble (both time and money) to secure spouse’s trouble free entrance to Japan.
really? i would consider it prudent. but each to their own. then again, it costs me nothing for immigration law advice... ;-)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by mkjr
really? i would consider it prudent. but each to their own. then again, it costs me nothing for immigration law advice... ;-)
I think they meant as opposed to simply avoiding travel to Japan.

I suspect that the rather grim sounding "sex offender" label may well make this a no-go despite the fact it may have been attached for something as minor as urinating in public.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I think they meant as opposed to simply avoiding travel to Japan.

I suspect that the rather grim sounding "sex offender" label may well make this a no-go despite the fact it may have been attached for something as minor as urinating in public.
i don't subscribe to the don't bother even trying approach. who knows. many celebs seem to figure out how to travel with some pretty nasty criminal records. some even travel to japan.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by evergrn
If a person checks off that he/she's been convicted on that Jpn immigration form, I wonder if that automatically leads to denial of entry under visa waiver every time.
No. An interview will be carried out and a decision will be made.

Someone posted on tripadvisor a while back, and s/he was admitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.