Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Really? I had no idea. Where is it?
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/customer_s...er_haneda.html

I did not know either until recently.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aug 21st 4:30pm.

Immigration at Terminal 2 was ugly. I had to wait 15 min (using the APEC lane).

Reentry was 40+ deep.

Foreigners was full.

Japanese queue was 30-40+.

Customs had 10+ per lane.

It did take a total of 30 min from parking to domestic checkin desk
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Just a quick update from my trip.

Landed at 4pm last week (mid-week). The queue at immigration was a touch over 30 minutes for foreigners. The Japanese line was over twice as long as the foreigner one, but I don't know how long they had to queue for.
Our bags were waiting when we got to the baggage hall, but there was a fifteen minute queue at customs, which surprised me as everyone (Japanese and foreigner) was stopped and questioned.

The JR office also had a twenty minute queue.

So, overall it took over 90 minutes from getting to the gate to leaving the airport. A longest ever record for me. But Japan is totally worth it, trust me!
Just to confirm, this does indeed refer to NRT Terminal 2. I think I was fairly lucky at customs. The agent in my line didn't stop anyone for too long. In other lines when they stopped someone to search bags, the queue would just stop. I can easily see it being thirty minutes long.

I didn't see a Japan resident line, but the Japan citizen line was at least twice as long as the foreigner line. IDK how long they had to wait for though.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Arrived HND 9pm last night.
Immigration - No lines for Japanese, Foreigners, Re-Entry or ABTC. Crew line was the longest
Customs - 2 minutes
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I second 5k hours. I arrived on JL 91 from Seoul Gimpo at 9:20 or so the other week. Literally NO wait whatsoever. When we departed on Sunday night at 7:00ish back to Seoul, there was also no wait to get through departure immigration.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

It's completely unpredictable. I arrived KIX at 3.32pm on a (slightly delayed) CX flight from HKG. As we got off our plane, passengers started spilling out of a NH plane that had just arrived, and another plane was docking at its stand. The shuttle train had just left, so I ran to the immigration hall, and indeed managed to arrive before anyone else. A minute through immigration, minimal wait for bags, nobody at customs, at bus ticket counter at 3.48pm, with 20 minutes to spare for a bus I would have certainly missed if I'd gotten to the immigration line 10 minutes later, with several hundred people ahead of me.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Very pleased today arriving on NH7 into Narita, 7-8 minutes from my seat to the curb.

First off the plane and no lines at immigration, one (very fast) Japanese passport holder in front of me at customs. It helped that the gate was fairly close to the immigration area as well.

Probably my fastest yet, almost on par with Haneda.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
ICN-NRT on OZ, arrived Tuesday at 1730.

30 minute wait at immigration. People in front of me were mainly PRC/Koreans/other Asian. Each one took about 5 minutes, the officers were flipping through everyone's passports for ages before even putting them into the reader, then took another long time before even starting the biometrics.

On my turn (European passport) and also for the few Americans, no dilly-dallying, passport straight into reader and fingers straight onto scanner - but then the machine took a while to do anything. Once it printed the sticker then sent straight through.

Bag was already off the belt and waiting, but customs wanted to look through it as well (but they didn't look through my backpack or rollaboard)

Before entering the immigration queue, there was someone making sure the forms had been properly filled out, so this wasn't the cause of any of the slowness.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:44 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by :D!

Before entering the immigration queue, there was someone making sure the forms had been properly filled out, so this wasn't the cause of any of the slowness.
Been like that for years.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Narita Airport T1 yesterday about 4pm. Foreign line looked pretty quick, Japanese like not many. I use the automatic gate for re-entry, only one other foreign re-entry in front of me and only 1 Japanese person using the Japanese automatic gate, only took about 70 seconds. I noticed the automatic gate has been updated with "Trusted Traveler" sign as well and noticed there was a card reader machine installed that was not installed there before, not sure if this is for the trusted traveler system or not.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Akihabara
I'd also mention that in my experience applying for this at Narita seemed to be more successful than at Haneda.

I initially tried at Haneda but my fingerprints were too weak to be picked up. The guys there just shrugged their shoulders and said sorry..can't help you. Then I tried again at Narita and there's a lady there who has been doing this for like 8 years and knows a bunch of tricks to get it to work. I eventually got registered after much persistence and I've since never had any issue using these gates.
I aslo had the same problem, finally the system could read my prints but when I tried to go through it could not recognize, I ended up giveing up !
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
I noticed the automatic gate has been updated with "Trusted Traveler" sign as well and noticed there was a card reader machine installed that was not installed there before, not sure if this is for the trusted traveler system or not.
Next to the passport reader? I think that's also a printer. The Trusted Traveler Program uses a registered user card to record up to 15 entry "stamps/lines" or something similar apparently.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Landed into KIX, they have a completely new system that seems to speed things up massively. Basically, they have a couple dozen "mini-terminals" where an immigration officer (looks like newbies or trainees) will take your fingerprints and photo and then send you to a separate line with immigration officers who do the final inspection and put the sticker on your passport. It took 5 minutes tops, after coming at the tail end of a couple of fully-loaded arrivals.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
Landed into KIX, they have a completely new system that seems to speed things up massively. Basically, they have a couple dozen "mini-terminals" where an immigration officer (looks like newbies or trainees) will take your fingerprints and photo and then send you to a separate line with immigration officers who do the final inspection and put the sticker on your passport. It took 5 minutes tops, after coming at the tail end of a couple of fully-loaded arrivals.
That's fantastic news! Thanks for the update Pickles.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:26 pm

I tried to look through the thread but couldn't find anything which answers my question -

What is Haneda like at 5am-6am? Looking at the arrivals list, there are a few widebody flights arriving quite close to each other so I would guess it will be quite busy, but how long should I expect to wait in practice?

I have a flight arriving at around 6am and would want to be landside by about 7am in order to visit Air-BigCamera before my onward flight departing 0850. Does it sound doable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.