Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st time to Japan, where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by frenchie2
When I check in, I usually tell the rest of the family wait on the side and I would go to the check-in desk alone, this way, they don't see the kids. And in Japan they don't ask for passport to make a copy (unlike in China).
On my past couple of trips to Japan, I have been asked for my passport so that the clerk can make a copy.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Why? What is wrong with that room?
I've actually looked specifically into that hotel / room yesterday and it seems like a good fit for me / my family.

--
Renovated Standard Twin Room
Room sleeps 4 guests (up to 3 children)
--

It is cheaper if I'd change child age from 14 to 12 on Expedia site and I don't see a big deal with that.
I don't mean to be brusque, but you don't seem to be reading what I said.
Again:
1). If you use a non-Japanese third-party booking site, the info doesn't always translate accurately especially for esoteric situations like what you're trying to pull off (fitting 4 people into a single room is by no means esoteric in the States, but this is Jpn).
2). A bed in twin room is almost always 100-120cm wide and will not fit 2 adults or 1 adult + 1 child (unless the child is really small).

You need to go to the hotel's website or contact the hotel directly for the accurate info. In any case, I just looked up Royal Park Shiodome for you. Their standard twin has two 110cm wide beds. So it won't work for you, even if you got an extra bed. But they do have the Hollywood twin type that I had recommended. Hollywood twin is effectively 220cm wide.

Book directly with them for 3 adults + 1 child in a Hollywood twin room, including an extra bed for your 14yo. If you feel that all four of you could fit on the Hollywood twin (it's possible) and if you want to ask the hotel if they'll do you a favor and let your 14yo sleep for free, you could certainly try in order to save the cost of an extra bed.

ksandness is correct. Sometimes hotels in Jpn will ask for your passport.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... And in Japan they don't ask for passport to make a copy (unlike in China). ...
This is somewhat inaccurate. Some hotels may not ask but many hotels will ask to copy the passport.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
This is somewhat inaccurate. Some hotels may not ask but many hotels will ask to copy the passport.
Copy of everyone's passport (i.e. including kids) or only of the person who is checking in?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't mean to be brusque, but you don't seem to be reading what I said.
Again:
1). If you use a non-Japanese third-party booking site, the info doesn't always translate accurately especially for esoteric situations like what you're trying to pull off (fitting 4 people into a single room is by no means esoteric in the States, but this is Jpn).
2). A bed in twin room is almost always 100-120cm wide and will not fit 2 adults or 1 adult + 1 child (unless the child is really small).

You need to go to the hotel's website or contact the hotel directly for the accurate info. In any case, I just looked up Royal Park Shiodome for you. Their standard twin has two 110cm wide beds. So it won't work for you, even if you got an extra bed. But they do have the Hollywood twin type that I had recommended. Hollywood twin is effectively 220cm wide.

Book directly with them for 3 adults + 1 child in a Hollywood twin room, including an extra bed for your 14yo. If you feel that all four of you could fit on the Hollywood twin (it's possible) and if you want to ask the hotel if they'll do you a favor and let your 14yo sleep for free, you could certainly try in order to save the cost of an extra bed.
There is no reason to become defensive. I've asked a simple question.

Here is a picture of the room:

Bed width is 110 cm. I don't see a problem with that. Kids usually share a bed when we stay at hotels and I share a bed with my wife all the time :-).
It seems like all US booking sites (orbitz, expedia, ) allow to book 2 adults & 2 children to that room. But hotel website does not allow that; although, they do define a child up to 12 on their reservation site.

I could not find the policy about the number of children for that room on hotel's website.

Like I wrote above - I have to use expedia. I've bought $1000 coupon on dailydeals on Wed. (still waiting for the coupon delivery) and don't already have a choice at this point.

Last edited by LoveMountains; Apr 18, 2016 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:58 pm

Okay, you posted your concerns so I was trying to inform you about Japanese hotels and tell you what your best options are. And if you really think two people can share a 110cm bed, then fine. I've said all that needs to be said. I apologize for the tone used.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:09 pm

I booked the St Regis Osaka at the old rate of 12K point per night. It has two double beds and will fit 2 adults 2 child. The thing is, online, you can only put in 2 people when you book on points. I might called in later to add a child, or I might leave it as is.
Just to report back, I contacted the hotel directly and asked them to add 2 children into my reservation. No problem at all, they asked for the age and gender of the kids so that they can prepare the welcome gift!
Old May 1, 2016, 11:18 pm

That's great. I think it's good that you let the hotel know up front.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:29 am

Just to report back, I contacted the hotel directly and asked them to add 2 children into my reservation. No problem at all, they asked for the age and gender of the kids so that they can prepare the welcome gift!
Thanks for the info.
I am planning to book Westin Osaka. It is 10k / night with 5th night free.
Online reservation allows 2 adults + 1 child.
I am planning to book online and then will probably call like you did.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by LizGross144
This week we booked the single night where we will be paying with cash, not points. We're spending New Year's Even in Mayajima, at the Watanabe inn (a 3-room ryokan). We will be on the island for Chinkasai, their New Year's Eve fire festival, and immediately following our hosts will prepare a fantastic NYE dinner. We're staying right next to the Daishon temple which will celebrate Jyoyano kane, and thousands of people will be making their first temple visit of the year. In the morning, we'll enjoy Osechi, the traditional New Year's breakfast

Not the quiet New Year's Eve we were originally planning, but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I'm already looking forward to!
That sounds pretty awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.