Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Private Onsen - Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka "kashikiri"

Private Onsen - Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka "kashikiri"

Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only (nude) mixed bathing places that I’ve ever been aware of in Japan are almost all rustic, rural places. They are not generally well developed and certainly not “deluxe”.

Here’s about as comprehensive a list as you can hope to find for Hokkaido
https://www.food-travel.jp/category/hokkaido

Places where swimsuits are required are another matter.

For instance, there are public baths within JR Gala Yuzawa station (Shinkansen line). As well as the usual segregated baths, there is a bigger area with a variety of small swimming pools, and part of this complex is a heated open air hot tub which over looks the snowy landscapes (in March there are some nice cherry trees nearby). In this pool complex, swimming costumes are mandatory, so it’s a way for couples to have a kind of public rotenburo experience with a mountain view.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kOLs_I-YOf...oc/s1600/2.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XKFL9V8o3T...o/s1600/14.jpg
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:03 pm

Is it reasonable to think I can find an overnight ryokan, with a good meal, near Tokyo, for a single person? I'd appreciate if someone can help point me in the right direction.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mxqisit
Is it reasonable to think I can find an overnight ryokan, with a good meal, near Tokyo, for a single person? I'd appreciate if someone can help point me in the right direction.
Search with a Japanese booking site (Japanican, rakuten, jalan) or agoda/booking.com on a weekday.
Sample: https://travel.rakuten.com/hotellist...fset=0&rooms=1
Hakone is easy enough to get to from Tokyo. Kusatsu is also well regarded if you're looking for an onsen town feel but requires a change on the train to bus or highway bus https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7400.html Some larger ryokan will also run a shuttle bus to specific train stations.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
On the subject of kashikiri/private baths, my SO is much less comfortable with being nude in public than I am. We are planning 3-4 days in Hakodate/Sapporo/Otaru during the Ice Festival and were hoping to go to spend one day/night at a premium onsen. I know that most are not coed baths but she's indicated that if they were she'd be much more comfortable. Is there anywhere that fits the bill for this? I'd rather not be pigeonholed into a private onsen situation.
One place with coed onsen that's pretty famous is Manza Prince Hotel. It's easy to get to from Tokyo, as I believe they still run a bus service from the Karuizawa bullet train station to the hotel. Hotel itself is a bit rundown as is the case with most Prince Hotels. However, the onsen quality there is pretty fabulous, although I've not been in their coed bath.

As Laplap says, most coed baths (other than the one in Manza) are located in older, semi-historical type ryokans... type of places that appeal to certain crowd, but does not to me. I have little reservations about going butt-naked in communal onsens, but I'm opposite of your SO and I just wouldn't feel comfortable in coed baths. I've never been in one. I've also heard that many women bathe with towels wrapped around their bodies in coed onsen, which sort of goes against onsen etiquette and norm.

Try to talk your SO into trying the communal onsen thing once. I understand the fear. But once she experiences one, she might be hooked. Perhaps the best place to ease her into that might be somewhere like Hakone or Atami or Noboribetsu, where there's a ton of other foreigners.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
One place with coed onsen that's pretty famous is Manza Prince Hotel. It's easy to get to from Tokyo, as I believe they still run a bus service from the Karuizawa bullet train station to the hotel. Hotel itself is a bit rundown as is the case with most Prince Hotels. However, the onsen quality there is pretty fabulous, although I've not been in their coed bath.
In the Hokkaido link I posted, the first entry is the Yunokawa Prince Hotel.
https://www.food-travel.jp/hokkaido/yunokawaonsen.html

The Manza Prince is also featured (but not in Hokkaido, obviously!)
https://www.food-travel.jp/gunma/manzaprince.html

That seems to be it for Prince Hotels - good catch, evergrn!

I’ve absolutely no interest in mixed gender bathing (although we got an absolutely lovely family bath in the Matsushima Century Hotel - were given a choice of free perks when checking in, and booking an hour was one of the options (hire charge is usually over 3,000yen an hour. Here’s a photo https://goo.gl/images/aq4EFH ).
Am finding more non Japanese East Asian visitors in the Onsen and Sento I do frequent. Only time I ever encountered other Caucasians was in the Green Plaza in Hakone, a few young Italian ladies were entering as my daughter and I were leaving. For me, a big part of why I don’t feel self conscious is because nobody else does. Not sure how I’d feel around people who were embarrassed; emotions can be contagious. For someone aiming to lose “public bath virginity”, actively seeking other foreigners (presumably from a similar background) doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me. But that’s just my take. If they are Germans or Fins - great!

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 11, 2018 at 6:13 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Free agent
I appreciate the help. I'm trying to slowly bring her over to being comfortable with it but it's already proving to be a very tough road. She's totally comfortable around me but can't get over the embarrassment factor of a public bath.

It would certainly make my trip planning a lot easier to get her over her fear. I don't know whether having non-Japanese people there would help or hinder. It's really tough to say. It's confusing for me because I wasn't brought up to be ashamed of nudity and didn't realize that this would be a problem until I brought it up during some trip planning discussion.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I appreciate the help. I'm trying to slowly bring her over to being comfortable with it but it's already proving to be a very tough road. She's totally comfortable around me but can't get over the embarrassment factor of a public bath.

It would certainly make my trip planning a lot easier to get her over her fear. I don't know whether having non-Japanese people there would help or hinder. It's really tough to say. It's confusing for me because I wasn't brought up to be ashamed of nudity and didn't realize that this would be a problem until I brought it up during some trip planning discussion.
You are far more likely to find hotels with a family bath for hire than a co-ed arrangement. And it will be a lot cheaper than getting a room with its own private bath. Why not just try to find one place on your itinerary with such a facility and then she can have her bathing in Japan experience with you? Just make sure you put your rental request in when you book.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:34 am

That is my current plan. I'm looking at a bunch of ryokan onsen in Hokkaido with private bathing rooms. The coed idea was more of a workaround than a fixed decision. I wanted to avoid getting pigeonholed but it looks like that's the best solution to the problem. I will be taking at least two day-trips to onsen by myself as well as going to a sento or two in Tokyo. Although if you guys keep it up with the great suggestions, I may have to add a third day!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case:
Tokyo Onsen

I used to have a lot more time back when I created that thread.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:46 am

Good lord. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.