Wiki Posts
Search

Quick 1 night road trip from Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:27 am
F 1
Original Poster

Quick 1 night road trip from Tokyo

I've been to Japan a couple times now. For my upcoming April trip, I'll be hanging out in Tokyo for a few nights but am considering the idea of a one-night getaway to the countryside. Somewhere with a nice onsen. And rather than travel by train this time, I am considering taking a rental car for the journey (more to experience the adventure of driving in Japan than anything else).

With that in mind, any suggestions on destination? Previously i've visited Hakone and Izu Peninsula (which I loved).

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
You could go to Nagano or Gunma. If you did a combination of train + car rental you could go further afield into the Tohoku region.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Kusatsu Onsen (草津温泉) in Gunnma.

Yunishigawa Onsen (湯西川温泉) in Tochigi.

Both I went by car. Trains do not run directly to those areas so car is bit convenient. Both 1 night road trip distances from Tokyo. Yunishigawa Onsen is more rural than Kusatsu Onsen. Mentioned being at Izu peninsula, but was it eastern coast of Izu peninsula? Western coast of Izu peninsula has some onsen also. There is no train service at western coast of Izu peninsula and car is convenient for western coast of Izu peninsula.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:03 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle

Both I went by car. Trains do not run directly to those areas so car is bit convenient. Both 1 night road trip distances from Tokyo. Yunishigawa Onsen is more rural than Kusatsu Onsen. Mentioned being at Izu peninsula, but was it eastern coast of Izu peninsula? Western coast of Izu peninsula has some onsen also. There is no train service at western coast of Izu peninsula and car is convenient for western coast of Izu peninsula.
Yes it was the eastern coast, which I accessed by train. You're right, I should consider the western coast. The ocean views were great.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
Not sure if cost is an issue, but when I've traveled by car in Japan, the price of gas plus the price of the expressway always seemed to make things more expensive than I bargained for! Of course it is possible to avoid the expressway, but with really slow speed limits, it can make getting places take a really long time. The train/car rental combo recommended above seems like a good idea.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle

Kusatsu Onsen would be a good place to drive to. Great onsen town. Stop by Karuizawa (old town area) on the way back. Oku-Karuizawa (north of Karuizawa further up into the mountains) is just great in the summer time with chic farm shops, bakeries and cafes... not sure about April, though.

Central/western Izu might be cool to drive down to, as well. Some of the best onsens in Izu are in that part of Izu peninsula, which are often hard to access by public transport.

Got dragged up to Yunishigawa Onsen a couple of times. Stayed at an old hotel (Bankyu or something) last time, which was not kept up well. So it may have had to do with the lodging, but I just didn't enjoy it much. There's not much town to speak of, pretty desolate area.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:49 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manderwa
Not sure if cost is an issue, but when I've traveled by car in Japan, the price of gas plus the price of the expressway always seemed to make things more expensive than I bargained for! Of course it is possible to avoid the expressway, but with really slow speed limits, it can make getting places take a really long time. The train/car rental combo recommended above seems like a good idea.
Yes, good point. A trip by car (especially since without passengers to split the cost of gas/tolls, etc) isn't the cheapest-- but I've done the trains so many times already, I thought I'd try something a bit more challenging. What are speed limits like on expressways?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by F 1
What are speed limits like on expressways?
Depends on the expressway. I'm only really familiar with Kanestu (one that heads up north towards Gunma/Niigata) and Chuo (one that goes to Yamanashi). Speed limit at former is mostly 100kph, latter mostly 80kph. Most people probably stay below 20 over speed limit.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
I used the Hokuriku expressway when I lived in Japan. I think it was officially an 80 speed limit, but generally it was cool to go about 100 if you're in a white plate car. If you're in a yellow plate car, probably better to stay close to the posted limit.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Express way within Tokyo Metropolitan area (首都高速) has speed limit of 60 km/hr. or 37 mph. Yes, it is toll express way but speed limit is that slow within Tokyo.

Other parts of express way in Japan has standard speed limit of 100 km/hr. or 62 mph. Hill or curve area of express way can have speed limit reduced to 80 km/hr. or 50 mph.

Whether Japanese drivers follow the speed limit or not are totally different topic.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:29 am
F 1
Original Poster

bump this thread for a follow-up question:

best advice on where/how to rent a car from tokyo?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by F 1
best advice on where/how to rent a car from tokyo?
Where do you want to drive?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:39 pm
F 1
Original Poster

I have a feeling i'll be renting to drive from Tokyo to Gunnma.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Take train to the outskirt of the city and pick up the car there.

Nissan - English online booking
Toyota - English phone booking, discount for Hertz card holders
Tocoo (broker) - English online booking
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by F 1
I have a feeling i'll be renting to drive from Tokyo to Gunnma.
If you wanted to start driving from the northern edge of the Yamanote line, you could pick up a car near Ikebukuro station: http://sasp.mapion.co.jp/b/nrs/info/...Recommendation

If you want to get further out before you start driving, you could take the train to, say, Kawagoe (worth a visit in itself) and collect a car there: http://sasp.mapion.co.jp/b/nrs/info/...endation&ret=3

Of course, there are endless other possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.