Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo hotels & more with an 8-year old

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Tokyo hotels & more with an 8-year old

Currently in the beginning stages of planning an Asia trip in December 2016. Have booked the outbound flight, working out dates for the trip back, but looks like we'll spend close to 2 weeks in Asia with our 8-year old.

This will be his 4th trip to Asia, and he really is interested in Tokyo, and that will be our first stop. Probably about 5 nights in Tokyo - staying in and around the city, and not trying to cover too much group. My wife and I have been to Osaka/Kyoto, but not Tokyo (other than transits through Narita) We're pretty self-sufficient travelers, love to eat, but don't speak Japanese....

Have read a number of the threads here, and done some research as well, and certainly understand that hotels are expensive, and rooms small in Tokyo. And that the 2 adult + 1 child equation is more problematic (and expensive) than in the states. That's fine, we'll deal with that.

So, for a first time visitor to Tokyo, any thoughts on hotels. We have some Marriott points, and Marriott status - so the courtyards or Marriotts have some appeal - but it looks like the Marriott in particular isn't in a great location. Also understand that Tokyo is really spread out, and that there's great public transportation...

Have given some thought to staying out near Disney, as we'll likely do a day there (son's first Disney experience was in HK, and we've now done both Anaheim and Orlando). Seems like hotels out there on Tokyo Bay are big, family friendly and easy access to the parks, and maybe 30 minutes into the city. So it would be convenient, but I also think that a part of the Tokyo experience is staying in the city and close to the action and hustle/bustle. Have people done say the Okura out by Disney and split time between city and Disney? Or worth switching hotels - say 4 nights in the city, 1/2 nights near Disney?

Would rather not pay 4S type of prices in the city, but you certainly get what you pay for there, it seems. Any good options for a party of 3, maybe a step down from that?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, trains into Tokyo station from Maihama (station for Tokyo Disneyland) is about 30 – 40 minutes depending on a train. However, to reach other parts of Tokyo it can be one hour each way with transfer at a large station such as Tokyo station where you may have to walk a lot for transfer.

Another thing to consider. If you are thinking of heading into Tokyo first thing in the morning from Tokyo Disneyland, spend all day around Tokyo, then come back to Tokyo Disneyland in the evening. That will be going with the flow during rush hour. Trains will be standing room only and do not expect you will able to sit down on a train. At peak of rush hour trains can get pretty pack, you will be physically touching and pressing against other people standing next to you on a train.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Feb 3, 2016 at 5:38 pm Reason: Corrected spelling of 舞浜
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
The Marriott Courtyard Ginza is in a great location for nearly everything - including some cool toy stores in Ginza, The Imperial Palace, Tsukijii, multiple subway lines (Hibiya is a great line to get around Tokyo), and of course Tokyo Station - where it is easy to jump on the Keiyo Line and head out to Tokyo Disney (Maihama station). The other nice thing is that the Limousine bus stops at this Courtyard from the airport - and the pickup on the bus from the Marriott is the last one before it heads out to the airport - so super easy to get back and forth to airport... You are right - the Marriotts in the Shinagawa area are less well located for "vacation" type travel but they are nice - just more time on the train / in a cab - although getting down to Yokohama - which I would recommend if you have a day to spare - is easy from there... Have fun!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:32 pm

2 adults plus an 8-yo is indeed tricky, but it can be done. Your options to keep the costs down would be:
1). find a "twin room" (in Jpn, a two-bed room is called twin room) where the bed width is at least 120cm, which will still be a bit tight for an adult and an 8yo. But I sleep with my 6yo daughter on a 120cm hotel bed fine. Most common bed widths in Jpn twin rooms are 100cm, 110cm and 120cm. Rarely you see 140cm twin.
2). find hotels that offer "Hollywood twin" which meaning stick two twin beds together to make one giant bed.
3). find a "triple" room, which is essentially a room with 3 single-size beds. Not many hotels have this.
4). this is in conjunction with 1),2) or 3). Find a hotel that allows elementary school kids to stay for free. But you don't find this too often. Most Comfort Hotels (they're kind of a budget-range chain) and many Richmond Hotels (high-end business hotel chain) seem to have this.

Hollywood twin is always the most comfortable way for our family (we have 2 kids) to stay in one room in Jpn. There're very few hotels in Jpn that have two legitimate double-size beds.

I would say your best bet is either stay all nights in Tokyo, or maybe just stay the last night (or last 2 nights esp if going to both Disneyland and DisneySea) near Disney. bmwe92fan's Courtyard rec is a good one. Odaiba is not a bad place to stay either... fun stuff for families, nice view of Tokyo, convenient to Disney, convenient to Shibuya and Shinjuku.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
2 adults plus an 8-yo is indeed tricky, but it can be done. Your options to keep the costs down would be:
1). find a "twin room" (in Jpn, a two-bed room is called twin room) where the bed width is at least 120cm, which will still be a bit tight for an adult and an 8yo. But I sleep with my 6yo daughter on a 120cm hotel bed fine. Most common bed widths in Jpn twin rooms are 100cm, 110cm and 120cm. Rarely you see 140cm twin.
2). find hotels that offer "Hollywood twin" which meaning stick two twin beds together to make one giant bed.
3). find a "triple" room, which is essentially a room with 3 single-size beds. Not many hotels have this.
4). this is in conjunction with 1),2) or 3). Find a hotel that allows elementary school kids to stay for free. But you don't find this too often. Most Comfort Hotels (they're kind of a budget-range chain) and many Richmond Hotels (high-end business hotel chain) seem to have this.

Hollywood twin is always the most comfortable way for our family (we have 2 kids) to stay in one room in Jpn. There're very few hotels in Jpn that have two legitimate double-size beds.

I would say your best bet is either stay all nights in Tokyo, or maybe just stay the last night (or last 2 nights esp if going to both Disneyland and DisneySea) near Disney. bmwe92fan's Courtyard rec is a good one. Odaiba is not a bad place to stay either... fun stuff for families, nice view of Tokyo, convenient to Disney, convenient to Shibuya and Shinjuku.
Thanks for the tips. In looking around, it seems as if many hotels in/around Tokyo (and Kyoto for that matter) aren't available for travel dates in late December. For example, the Courtyard Ginza isn't on Marriotts site as available. I'm thinking that this is due to being outside the booking window, vs being sold out already?

We've done #3 before in Taipei, and it worked OK but was tight in a small room. Ideally would like to find some more room, especially early in the trip when dealing with jet lag.

My understanding is that Tokyo starts to clear out as Jan 1st nears, and many attractions/museums etc are closed - which is why we are doing Tokyo as the first stop before continuing on to points further South, vs the last stop on our trip.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by socalterp
Thanks for the tips. In looking around, it seems as if many hotels in/around Tokyo (and Kyoto for that matter) aren't available for travel dates in late December. For example, the Courtyard Ginza isn't on Marriotts site as available. I'm thinking that this is due to being outside the booking window, vs being sold out already?
It must definitely be because they're not yet accepting reservations this far out. Keep checking back every month or so. Many hotels in Jpn will only open up room inventory online 3-4 months in advance.

Most attractions actually stay open throughout the holiday seasons... some will close Jan 1st. Tokyo does not really clear out in late Dec. Some Tokyoites do indeed leave the city, but Tokyo is huge and many stay and the school goes on break and so places like Disneyland will be packed. Plus there will be lots of Asian tourists.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

I liked the location of the Conrad Tokyo. There were several forms of transportation right by the hotel including a river boat and a monorail. Our room was spacious and would have easily accommodated 2 people and a child. I've been there twice, each time asking for a room overlooking the water. I enjoyed the window seat, watching the water traffic. As with many Tokyo hotels, there was a small shopping court in the basement including some affordable places to eat.

This thread is about stays 2013 and onward (despite the misleading date of the initial post.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tokyo-jpn.html
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:52 am

If I recall correctly, I do think Conrad's twin beds are actually pretty wide. Of course, it comes at a Conrad price.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:00 am

OP: btw you have to really think about the day you're doing Tokyo Disney. I don't know what days in Dec you're going. But Tokyo Disney is nothing like HK... the crowd/wait time is on a different scale. (I don't know what it's like in America) There're websites, albeit in Japanese, that provide pretty decent forecast of the expected Disney crowd levels on different dates.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In English too.
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en
You can look at the historic data on this site for a guess on crowd levels later in the year
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
In English too.
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en
You can look at the historic data on this site for a guess on crowd levels later in the year
Thanks, really helpful. I think that we ought to be "OK" on the crowds, as we arrive in Tokyo on Sun Dec 18th, and would do Disney during the week when the crowds are lower. The parks in the US are crowded, but to varying degrees - and we can usually be pretty efficient by getting there early and having fast passes reserved for later on when it's more crowded.

Will also look into the Conrad. Don't have Hilton status, but may not be a bad option.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My go-to hotel for Tokyo is this

http://www.tougane-h.com/e/

We've stayed there before with a kid in tow as they do have a few rooms that hold up to 4 (bunk beds) so you'd definitely find a room for your trio. Really reasonable rates, comfortable, quiet and clean. It has a small laundry which we find convenient and you can use a clothesline on the rooftop if you want.

Three minutes' walk to all public transport, lots of eating options from Western chains to local stuff (we prefer the latter). Ueno Park, also right there, has some nice areas especially for a kid needing a little break.

The website and booking process is available all in English. A couple of the younger staff have good English skills, the older employees are more limited but it's never been a problem and they are all as polite and helpful as they can be. The signs and instructions (thermostat, etc.) in the rooms are all bi-lingual.

Their booking window only goes out so far at a time, not sure it extends to Dec 2016 yet but you can check the prices as I don't recall they vary that much, if at all, over the course of the year.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: FT
I will be there next month with a nine year old. Many of the western chains don't fuss with kids as adults.

For example, the IC Osaka, no issue. Hotel Granvia, Kyoto, yes. They charge an extra 5900 yen for a child after 6 regardless of whether they have their own bed or not.

It really depends.

Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi no issue for child sharing same bed under 12. Same with Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku and I have had no issue with the Shangri la....well, at those prices, they had a free bed for her when she was 7.

I don't use hotel points so not sure.

The marriott in Osaka was also no issue with a 7 year old sharing the bed.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:27 pm

went to Disneyland (Tokyo) in Dec and DisneySea in April and then September before that. yes the lines are long but only really for Pooh Honey Pot (forgot the real name) but you can get a fastpass for it. The other crazy line is Toy Story, make that your first first pass. Other than that, lines move way faster and more efficiently than Disney in Anaheim. Food lines are faster too. go on a weekday and don't go on a holiday.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
My go-to hotel for Tokyo is this

http://www.tougane-h.com/e/

We've stayed there before with a kid in tow as they do have a few rooms that hold up to 4 (bunk beds) so you'd definitely find a room for your trio. Really reasonable rates, comfortable, quiet and clean. It has a small laundry which we find convenient and you can use a clothesline on the rooftop if you want.

Three minutes' walk to all public transport, lots of eating options from Western chains to local stuff (we prefer the latter). Ueno Park, also right there, has some nice areas especially for a kid needing a little break.

The website and booking process is available all in English. A couple of the younger staff have good English skills, the older employees are more limited but it's never been a problem and they are all as polite and helpful as they can be. The signs and instructions (thermostat, etc.) in the rooms are all bi-lingual.

Their booking window only goes out so far at a time, not sure it extends to Dec 2016 yet but you can check the prices as I don't recall they vary that much, if at all, over the course of the year.
Thanks. How is that area for tourists? Looks like a great value. Also thinking about Air B&B and an apartment in that area, as we are pretty self-sufficient, and having some extra space would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.