Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

International Drivers Permit absolute must?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Drivers Permit absolute must?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:10 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

To clarify about the German/etc license. There are two different conventions, and the IDP will be different based on whichever convention your country has ratified. If you carry a German/etc IDP, it will not be valid in Japan. I would fully expect rental places to know this, and certainly the police would, and results could be rather unpleasant if you got into an accident. I’m scratching my head why people say that the wrong permit should be fine. Japan is the last country where I’d expect that they don’t know or are willing to bend the rules. I had a German DL years ago, and back then the requirement was to obtain a translation from the German embassy in Tokyo. So the auto club translation rule is actually an improvement.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
You need a valid drivers license (Japanese license or a foreign license and IDP.) If you have one and aren't carrying it in the vehicle it's a 3000 yen fine. If you don't have one, it's a 3 year jail sentence, 500,000 yen fine, and probable denial of any future entry into Japan.

Probably a good idea not to drive without an IDP.
That being said, I've done it and rented a car at least once in Japan and the world continued to turn. For my next trip I got one, but note that it's not a very tamper-proof document so if you have an expired one, it's straightforward to extend its validity.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
it's not a very tamper-proof document so if you have an expired one, it's straightforward to extend its validity.
Yah it’s just a piece of paper no one reads that has zero business expiring after only a year when license and passport are the real documents and they’re good for 10yrs or more.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Yah it’s just a piece of paper no one reads
I'm not willing to push my luck on that for $25. I was upset when my current IDP was filled out by a person somewhat in cursive and not the most legible handwriting. I was able to rent three cars in Japan using this IDP. Everything's accurate and current but akin to reading Japanese handwriting when you don't even read basic Japanese text all that well. It makes me think many rental agents casually check the basics are complete but don't scrutinize it heavily when you take the car out. The police might have a different approach and an agent might be very by-the-book if I brought back a damaged car...

Over five years ago a Uniqlo/Muji? JP sales associate ask me to re-sign the signature slip as the signature was different. I carefully did so. She stared at it a few more times and seemed to have to talk herself into it (If this happened more frequently, probably would have made a pseudo hanko or something). They're much less particular these days with IC/chip & electronic sign panel where the store tries to get me on DCC.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
I'm not willing to push my luck on that for $25.
Actually I wasn't suggesting you don't need IDP with valid date. You definitely need it. But it's bogus that this piece of paper is only good for a year, and I was just agreeing with Richard that one could easily change the validity date. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by freecia
Over five years ago a Uniqlo/Muji? JP sales associate ask me to re-sign the signature slip as the signature was different. I carefully did so. She stared at it a few more times and seemed to have to talk herself into it (If this happened more frequently, probably would have made a pseudo hanko or something). They're much less particular these days with IC/chip & electronic sign panel where the store tries to get me on DCC.
OT, but .....I had a similar incident with a client submitting paperwork to the Bank of Japan with respect to some kind of investment in Japan. The BoJ official was quite persistent until I asked them if they were making an accusation that the signature had been forged. After that everything was fine and dandy.

Regarding the IDP, I've had mine checked a couple of dozen times by police and rental agencies. Nothing ever more than a cursory glance, but I'm sure they would look more carefully if you were involved in a serious accident. The one thing the rental agencies do check carefully now is residence status since they've gotten guidance from the police not to rent to foreigners on long term residence unless they have a Japanese license.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I have a Belgian license and got it sorted out at the JAF office near Hamamatsucho station within a few hours. Dropped it off mid-morning and then went back after lunch to pick it up. The translation is tied to the duration of validity of your license so it's a better deal than having to pay for a 1 yr IDP if you will be travelling to Japan regularly.
freecia likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So I am a bit confused by all this again. The IDP is not valid with a German license then? As for residential status, I now have Swiss residency, so I will have to change my license for a Swiss one. But I'm not so sure they will issue an IDP with a new license, read something about it being a bit tricky.

I'm beginning to find this all such a PITA that I'm considering booking a tour, or just using local transport. I'm not a massive fan of car rentals and the crap and dishonesty practiced by the companies anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
So I am a bit confused by all this again. The IDP is not valid with a German license then?
Correct. The same rule applies to licenses issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco, or Estonia.
In case that's not clear, the countries that this rule applies to are Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco, and Estonia.

As for residential status, I now have Swiss residency, so I will have to change my license for a Swiss one. But I'm not so sure they will issue an IDP with a new license, read something about it being a bit tricky.
Whether or not Switzerland will issue an IDP is of no consequence, because a Swiss license is subject to special rules in Japan. That's because it's a license issued by Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco, or Estonia.

Did you know that the rules that stipulate that holders of licenses issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco, or Estonia must carry their license and a translation issued by JAF or the embassy of the country that issued the license?

An IDP issued by Switzerland is as much use in Japan as a Swiss chocolate teapot (Yum).

I'm beginning to find this all such a PITA that I'm considering booking a tour, or just using local transport. I'm not a massive fan of car rentals and the crap and dishonesty practiced by the companies anyway.
A month ago, you didn't seem so phased by it. All you need to do is take your license to JAF.
I will just pick one up from JAF once there,
But, hey, if you don't like renting cars, that's another matter.
evergrn likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I do hope we don't have to go through this again when someone from Estonia visits.
evergrn likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Not me anyway, I'm from Scotland originally. Thanks very much jib71, that makes it totally clear. So I will just go to JAF in Sapporo with my license and off we go!~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.