Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Very long layover at KIX / Osaka Kansai airport

Old May 17, 2015, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: The Embassy

I'm flying BKK-(JAL728)-KIX-(JAL60)-LAX in J. There's an 11 hour layover in KIX, 06:30 - 17:30.

I had planned to get out and do a little sight-seeing. My Japanese friend has summed up Osaka as: "has a twenty-year-old castle and a bunch of office buildings".

How long will it take me to get in to town from the airport? What time should I head back to the airport to be safe, given that I'll already be checked in?

What is there to do in Osaka? Searches so far have shown up only really "eat", and "Visit Spaworld", allegedly home to "ONSEN FROM AROUND THE WORLD". Would it be practical to get the train somewhere else (Kyoto?), or will I be cutting it a little fine? My flight arrives just before rush hour, and leaves in the middle of rush hour - is that something that should worry me for getting the train (or a taxi?).

I've read a single review of the lounge in Osaka, which suggested it's dreadful. I'm OWE - what are my options at KIX? AFAICT, it's just "Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge - Wing". Is this accurate? Is it really so bad?

Finally, all four of my sectors are on a 787. It looks like the seats are "JAL Shell Flat NEO". Is that right? I'm 5'11 and broad - am I likely to be comfortable?

Sorry for the wall of questions, and thanks.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I can help you a bit with Osaka, but not specifically about the JL 787 as I haven't flown it.

Here's a really good site to look at for train times and cost in Japan:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/

They also have an app for iPhone or Android but it's Japanese only:
乗換案内 (You want the one published by Jorudan Co., Ltd). I believe the website is still functional enough on a mobile device, but if you want to use the app, entry in standard alphabet works and it'll pick up your intended stations if entered correctly, you can compare to your guidebook for Japanese characters.

From KIX (called Kansai Airport if you're entering it on Jorudan or 関西空港 on the app) to downtown Osaka will take 45 minutes to an hour depending on which train line you use (there are 2 operating the same route, neither is terribly fast). Regardless of what you do during the day, unless you're really itching to spend a long time in the lounge (it's nothing special as you've already uncovered in your research) then I personally wouldn't bother getting back to the airport until 1 hour before flight time, Japanese security and immigration is extremely efficient and rarely takes very long outside of peak holiday dates. If you want extra padding go for 90 minutes, but no reason for more.

As for Osaka, your friend is more or less right, it's not a terribly exciting city for a tourist. It's a shame too you're really arriving too early to do much until 9 or 10am so it cuts a bit into your practical time even though you have 11 hours. For food, the local specialty is called Kushiage. Essentially that's deep fried stuff on a stick. Mostly various kinds of meat but also fish, vegetables, and even ice cream. Any kushiage restaurant that's equipped for tourists will have an English menu but most likely the staff will not speak any English, be prepared to point to the menu and they'll write the order in Japanese. Also, no double dipping in the sauce bucket on the table, that's a serious taboo because it's shared by all diners throughout the day. So that'll pass an hour of your day, you could pass another hour going to the castle and some more time people watching and browsing shops in the Namba and Nipponbashi areas (they are next to each other). The more interesting nightlife though doesn't pick up until after 7pm where you can watch salarymen drink themselves silly.

If you want to go to Kyoto, it's certainly possible but plan out what you want to do as it's still quite a large and spread out city, and definitely plan your return time and don't miss it. There is a direct train service called Haruka(はるか) (It's JR and requires a special ticket, so go to the JR office at the airport train station, not the Nankai line office which is the competing private line) that runs about every half hour during the time you'll be there, it's not terribly expensive (about 3,000 yen each way) and takes about 75 minutes. It's a bit under 90 minutes on the regular trains and under 2,000 yen that way but you'll be changing train lines once or twice that way and would be far more confusing if you're not familiar with the Japanese train system. Using Haruka you could easily be in Kyoto station by 9:00am (your first available train is either 7:27am or 7:41am depending on weekday or weekend, both arrive the same time though) and leave back to the airport at 2:15pm-2:45pm (again depends on weekday or weekend, those arrive at airport station at 3:34pm or 4:04pm respectively). That gives you enough time to see a few well planned sights there and it's a far more interesting city for sightseeing. If you're willing to spend $50 for what is going to amount to 5 hours in Kyoto is up to you, but I have a feeling if you decide to stay in Osaka all day you'll wish you would have, plus you'll still spend $15 round trip to downtown Osaka and back.

Whichever you do, don't worry about rush hour if using trains, but don't carry your luggage (it's crowded... very crowded), there are plenty of coin lockers in the airport to store your carry on bags, a really large one will only cost you 500-1000 yen for a whole day and you pay when you pick it up on the modern ones (which I think all at the airport are, but could be some old style too). If you're boarding the Haruka to Kyoto though I'd advise paying a couple bucks extra for a reserved seat so you don't risk standing up in an unreserved car. During rush hour in downtown on the regular trains, you'll get to witness a very unique part of Japanese life, everyone crowds into the train to a point you can't move your arms. Its unfortunately necessary because if you try to be polite and wait then the next train is just as crowded when it comes. Any ideas of personal space is right out the window during peak times (though Japanese don't respect personal space on trains or when walking anyway, just something you get used to).
Old May 17, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The aquarium in Osaka is worth a visit. If you would find that kind of sightseeing interesting.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Another option to consider is visiting Himeji castle.

It's about equidistant timewise as Kyoto from the airport. And there's basically the castle and then shops around the castle and you're done for Himeji.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:18 pm

If you want to visit Kyoto or Himeji, JR Kansai Area Pass for one day is a very good deal. It covers Haruka Express and local JR trains in the area and costs less than $20. It can be ordered online or purchased from JR station at KIX.

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-...pass?ap=j0095g
Old May 19, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Kallio
If you want to visit Kyoto or Himeji, JR Kansai Area Pass for one day is a very good deal. It covers Haruka Express and local JR trains in the area and costs less than $20. It can be ordered online or purchased from JR station at KIX.

+1 to this n support the kyoto option. Tag the bags thru or checkin at kix, then put ur rollerboard in a locker. A 2200yen 1 day train pass n some loose change for local kyoto transport is good!
Old May 20, 2015, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Kallio

Great point. I hadn't even thought about the day pass since I'm generally traveling with my Japanese SO so ineligible (at least she is). For the OP this is a great deal.

Quite curious, I know the main JR nationwide pass is only available to tourists (and they checked closely for the tourist entry stamp in my passport to issue it when I used one years ago), also the Narita Express discounted deal is supposed to be for tourists only, so residents like myself are at least technically ineligible. For these regional passes like the Kansai Pass mentioned here, the English website only says that a foreign passport is needed, it makes no mention of having a tourist entry stamp (sticker), have any other foreign residents had success in buying these?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: JL/Emerald, NH*G, DL/ElitePlus, HHonors G
Interested in USJ? lol I did that last time with a layover of 8h
Old May 20, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reimondo
Will I be able to get by there without Japanese?
Old May 20, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: JL/Emerald, NH*G, DL/ElitePlus, HHonors G
You should. You only need to deal with 2 counters, both should speak English: Shuttle bus and USJ entrance.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Will I be able to get by there without Japanese?
Easily. Really getting around in major cities and from city to city is very easy without Japanese. It's small towns and the countryside where it gets far more challenging. JR (the main train company) is better than most tourist facing business about having some staff with at least basic English skills too.

Originally Posted by reimondo
Fair warning though about Japanese amusement parks. Lines are beyond belief for any popular attractions. 3 hours is not unheard of for something new-ish and may be worse on weekends. The parks clearly don't believe in limiting ticket sales for crowd control. You can easily spend an entire day at Fuji-Q Highland (between Tokyo and Nagoya) or Tokyo Disney and only get on 3 or so rides, Japanese just think it's "normal".
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Your question is better suited for Tripadvisor (I am the Osaka expert under a different name there).

Anyway, if you opt for Kyoto, get the 1-day Kansai Area Pass. The Haruka train takes roughly 75 minutes from KIX to Kyoto. You can visit a couple of places. Consider Kiyomizu-dera and Higashiyama to start, plus a couple shrines in the area nearby. Finish at Gion, head back to Kyoto station and onto KIX.

If you go for Osaka, there might not be too much going on so early. You could start your day taking the train to Tennoji. Atop Tennoji station, the Abeno Harukas observation deck offers a stunning view. The Kintetsu Department store just beneath is excellent. It also has a lot of food choices but most only start opening for lunch. Before or after lunch, take the train to Namba and roam Namaba and Dotonbori just to people-watch and take in the atmosphere. When you are ready to head back to KIX, take the Nankai train (Airport Express commuter style train or the more expensive Rapit) back to KIX. Both trains take around 35-45 minutes. Avoid the local train that stops much more frequently.

Jourdan is a good train site but I tend to use Hyperdia: http://www.hyperdia.com
Old May 21, 2015, 12:49 pm

Question BKK to LAX 7/18/2015

Flying back to LAX on JL728 from BKK to Osaka, Kansai International TERMINAL 1. Looks like I am going to be there a while. My flight lands at 6:30 am and my flight out to LAX leaves at 5:30 pm.

I would rather not venture out too far. Just want to take in a little bit of the local flavor...Lunch (where is a good japanese place?) ... maybe a little shopping...

I heard Namba is not too far away? Plenty of time to get back to the airport? Would bus or train be better? Can you tell me exactly where to go to buy tickets to Namba? How is the line at Customs/Immigration coming back?

Is this doable? What time should I head back? What should I be worried about? So many questions... sorry. Just didn't want to sit at the airport for 11 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eBalita; May 21, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Old May 21, 2015, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, eBalita.

As this thread has become KIX and area specific and not airline specific, it has relocated to the Japan Forum.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old May 21, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions so far. HyperDia suggests the LTD. EXP HARUKA 6 will take 96 minutes, as opposed to 75. Is that right?

I am worried I will not make the 07:27 landing at 06:30; for that reason I'm tempted to wait until I land to purchase the ticket, in case the flight is delayed. Does that seem sensible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.