Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Efficiently Laying over in Narita from NRT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Efficiently Laying over in Narita from NRT

I'm putting up this post both to organize my research from the board and to solicit corrections, or suggestions.

I will have a 6:30 layover in NRT on a Tuesday afternoon. Normally I attempt to layover 12+ hours in Japan to go into Tokyo, but in this case, I don't think I'll try to get into Tokyo as that will probably leave me very tight to make my flight.

Instead, I plan to try laying over in the town of Narita. Based on reports from past flyers, and the requirement that it's not worth leaving the airport unless you can be absolutely guaranteed at least an hour in Narita, it appears that this layover can be accomplished easily with 5 hours or more, total available (meaning that my 6:30 should be more than sufficient).

Putting this plan together, I have assumed a leisurely pace and added in time to just miss a train, etc. I would assume that you could probably shave :30 or more off of this timetable if you were very familiar with the particulars of the trains, the routes, &c.

T-5:00 Arrive NRT
T-4:20 Finish Clearing Customs
T-4:10 Deposit Luggage at T1 left luggage facility (Y 500)
T-4:00 Depart NRT for Narita (Keisei mainline, not Sky Access trains, runs every 20 minutes)(Y 260)
T-3:30 Arrive Narita. Find Unagi Don (Y 5000) (Suragaya is highly reviewed, 1km from the station and closes at 17:00. Kawatoyo moderately highly reviewed, 0.7km from the station closes ?).
T-3:15 Arrive Jet Lag Club (Y 2000+ ... how much can you drink?)
T-2:45 Leave Jet Lag Club
T-2:30 Arrive at Keisei Nartita Station for Keisei Mainliner back to NRT (runs every 20 minutes) (Y 260)
T-2:00 Arrive Back at Narita, retrieve baggage
T-1:40 Head for Security
T-1:00 Through Security, Arrive at Lounge
T-0:40 Leave Lounge for Gate
T-0:00 Depart

This brings the total minimum cost of the layover to Y 8100 or more and the total minimum ("safe") time to 5 hours+.

Any other advice on restaurants, where to go, etc, is very welcome.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If you're in town between 8:00AM and 4:00PM, Shinshoji, the big temple near the center of town is worth seeing, and it has lovely wooded grounds. It's slightly less than a mile from the two stations.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE

T-3:30 Arrive Narita. Find Unagi Don (Y 5000) (Suragaya is highly reviewed, 1km from the station and closes at 17:00. Kawatoyo moderately highly reviewed, 0.7km from the station closes ?).
T-3:15 Arrive Jet Lag Club (Y 2000+ ... how much can you drink?)
T-2:45 Leave Jet Lag Club

Skip the Jet Lag Club and visit Naritasan and the adjacent gardens instead. Don't bother with the calligraphy museum. Better selection of unagi restaurants near the temple anyway.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lovely15
Better selection of unagi restaurants near the temple anyway.
Do you know if any/most/some/etc of them open for dinner (like 8pm-ish)? I've got an overnight layover and while no point going to the temple at night, I wouldn't mind going for some eel n rice.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:01 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP seemed to omit the madatory kombini shopping/dining....
Old May 6, 2015, 5:02 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
With 5 hours to kill, the trip to Ueno would be easy, too.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, NW
I know there's a good eel restaurant across from the tourist information center, but I've been there only during the day, so I don't know how late it is open.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
depends on the size of the bag

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
T-4:10 Deposit Luggage at T1 left luggage facility (Y 500)
It depends on the size of the bag. I have one there now (opposite the entrance to the JR station) and they are charging me Y 310 for a small bag).

That is got to be the best deal anywhere! At Union Station in Toronto, for example, they charge $6 and will only take your bag for less than 24 h. Also, they thanked me for my business! Welcome to Japan!!
Old May 12, 2015, 12:45 am
Original Poster

I'm doing this right now, and my standard Rollaboard and small backpack fit into a Y400 locker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.