Wiki Posts
Search

Narita - Terminal 3

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: united mileage plus
Narita - Terminal 3

On April 8 Narita will start using a new Terminal to handle Jetstar and some other low cost airlines. It will take some time to get to the new terminal so if you have flights going in or out of there you should go to the airport site and learn about the new Terminal 3. I just made a Jetstar reservation to Osaka and found this terminal change on my confirm. On a positive note - it says the terminal will have the largest food court of any airport in Japan.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:49 am

More precisely, the list of airlines moving in is Jetstar, Spring Japan, Jeju Air and Vanilla Air. All other airlines (including LCC Peach) are staying put, at least for time being.

To get to T3, it's either a 500m walk (officially 15 minutes, although that's a pretty unambitious pace), or a 10-15 min free shuttle bus ride from T2.

Official T3 site:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/t3/en/
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:18 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpatokal
To get to T3, it's either a 500m walk (officially 15 minutes, although that's a pretty unambitious pace), or a 10-15 min free shuttle bus ride from T2.

Official T3 site:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/t3/en/
Those valises and strollers don't walk themselves...otherwise I concur.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by fdflys
On a positive note - it says the terminal will have the largest food court of any airport in Japan.
Unfortunstey, according to the English website, said food court is pre security. There appears to be exactly one cafe air side.

I can't understand why airside dining options are so limited in Japan. Perhaps Japanese don't like to hang out and eat/drink at the airport like us Americans. Perhaps that actually makes more sense.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ainternational
Unfortunstey, according to the English website, said food court is pre security. There appears to be exactly one cafe air side.

I can't understand why airside dining options are so limited in Japan. Perhaps Japanese don't like to hang out and eat/drink at the airport like us Americans. Perhaps that actually makes more sense.
I just wish that they had konbini post-security. Those places are great for souvenirs.

(Yes, I know T1 has the Lawson, but the convenience aspect is lost once you pass security...)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Because it's not uncommon practice to check-in <30 min before your flight and then head through security 10-15 min before on a Japanese domestic flight.

Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gnaget
Because it's not uncommon practice to check-in <30 min before your flight and then head through security 10-15 min before on a Japanese domestic flight.
Sure, that makes sense, but I'm talking NRT/HND international terminals.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I've got an arrival in to T3 at the end of April

Will post comments if I can remember.

-mrploddy
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Sure, that makes sense, but I'm talking NRT/HND international terminals.
I routinely show up at T-60 for international flights out of NRT. This usually leaves about 5-10 minutes before boarding after clearing immigration/security, and minimizes time in Duty Free Land.

In 50+ departures with this strategy, I've never missed a flight... security queues are more or less nonexistent, and if immigration is backed up, the airline reps will bail you out (though with the automated gates this is more or less a non-issue anyway for residents).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Yes, I have done the same, although I would allow a slight buffer in case of mishap and enough that would allow 20-30 min in a lounge. I never board until 20-30 min before departure.

United sets the departure time on the monitors 15 min before actual departure time.

Originally Posted by Scifience
I routinely show up at T-60 for international flights out of NRT. This usually leaves about 5-10 minutes before boarding after clearing immigration/security, and minimizes time in Duty Free Land.

In 50+ departures with this strategy, I've never missed a flight... security queues are more or less nonexistent, and if immigration is backed up, the airline reps will bail you out (though with the automated gates this is more or less a non-issue anyway for residents).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Looks like a negative 5 star hotel has opened in the terminal 3.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/...408001067.html

Last edited by O Sora; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:58 pm
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by O Sora
Looks like an negative 5 star hotel has opened in the terminal 3.
The third photograph makes it look like this "hotel" has an athletics track, though
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
The third photograph makes it look like this "hotel" has an athletics track, though
Yeah, that is to clearly mark which way for the passengers to go, for T3 is shared by domestic and international LCCs.

The "hotel" looks packed every night.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20...YT1T50021.html
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Is it possible that number of people overnighting at the terminal can exceed estimate by the airport authority? During the media coverage of opening day of the Terminal 3 it was widely reported that food court area will open 24 hrs. (food shops will close but area will be open to public) and passengers on early departing flights or late arriving flights can sleep at food court area.

The link O Sora provided shows already couches in food court area are often completely occupied by people spending overnight and some are sleeping on the floor or on wooden chairs in dining table area. If the trend continue and more and more people spend overnight at the Terminal 3 then there will be need of more area where people can spend overnight.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united mileage plus
The sofa's are next to the food court. There's not that many of them and I doubt that they would welcome overnight guests. On a more important note, those planning to use Terminal 3 should be prepared for a hike from Terminal 2 (or conversely, a roundabout ride on their shuttle bus). The walkway is long and winds through a covered passageway outside Terminal 2. It's on the arrivals level so if your hotel shuttle drops you at departures you will have to go downstairs. The passageway begins near the first doors at Terminal 2 (about bus stop 4) and at the end you take an escalator to the check in area. I was there in April 12 and it was still very much a work in progress. The check in area is full of confused people and customer service people trying to console them. After you get your ticket you walk through a store filed area to the food court (many choices) and adjacent to the food court is security. Security is divided into two pathways - domestic and international. Choose the right one. The security people are nice but a bit overwhelmed. After security (I was flying domestic) you will walk another long set of escalators and hallways until you finally descend down an escalator to a single long hall of numbered gates (and more of those low sofa's to sit on). It's very light and airy. There's a kiosk with drinks and snacks. The whole place looks like it was built from an Ikea catalogue. Industrial chic. Right now there's a bit of chaos - passengers and workers all feeling their way around. It's Japan so I think they'll sort it all out quickly. In the meantime give yourself extra time for all the walking between terminals, security and gates. Lastly, there is a shuttle bus (gate 24 Term 2) that will take you to an entrance for Terminal 3 but it will go in a complete loop in front of terminal 2 before arriving there. This could be disorienting - the roadway in front of Terminal 2 is one way so that have to go all the way across and all the way back and then over to Terminal 3 (which is actually next door).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.