Wiki Posts
Search

Using suica

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Fiirst day strategy in Japan

I believe that I can only use cash to buy an suica card when I arrive at NARITA. I understand Suica cannot be used on the Narita express, so I will have to buy a separate ticket. Are these assumptions correct?

If so I plan to purchase a Suica at Narita iand put 10,000 yen on it so I can use it for subway trips in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukukoka. In addition, I plan to buy food at stations in Tokyo, Niigata, Akita, Osaka., and a few others. Is this a good plan for using the Suica?

To do this I would have to an ATM before going to the Japan rail office at NRT.

Thank you.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by steve4031
I believe that I can only use cash to buy an suica card when I arrive at NARITA. I understand Suica cannot be used on the Narita express, so I will have to buy a separate ticket. Are these assumptions correct?

If so I plan to purchase a Suica at Narita iand put 10,000 yen on it so I can use it for subway trips in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukukoka. In addition, I plan to buy food at stations in Tokyo, Niigata, Akita, Osaka., and a few others. Is this a good plan for using the Suica?

Thank you.
Not sure about all your questions, but yes, before you go to the JR Office, there are ATMs and a money exchange window in the arrivals lobbies of both terminals. As a foreign visitor, look for Citibank or 7-Bank terminals. I found a 7-Bank terminal at the far left end of the arrivals lobby of Terminal 1 on my last trip in 2014.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

The suica map seems to indicate that one could use suica from Narita to shinjuku. Is this the case?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The suica map seems to indicate that one could use suica from Narita to shinjuku. Is this the case?
Yes, it's possible to do so without buying a seperate ticket like you would for the NEX. Take the Keisei Sky Access Express to Shinagawa or Shimbashi and transfer to the Yamanote line.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA premier gold

Thank you.
Will you be using a Japan Rail Pass? If so,the pass is good for use on Narita Express. Just get a reserved seat when you get your railpass at Narita. You can also get Narita Express tickets using your Suica at the ticket booth.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

I want to start the rail pass on the following day so I would buy the suica to use on the Narita express. I would stop at the atm to get yen to load the suica. I would validate my rail pass and make reservations for subsequent trips on the following day. Then I would use my yen to load the suica and then go tap into the system to ride the Narita express to shinjuku. Is this the best way to do this? Thank you
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA premier gold
I want to start the rail pass on the following day so I would buy the suica to use on the Narita express. I would stop at the atm to get yen to load the suica. I would validate my rail pass and make reservations for subsequent trips on the following day. Then I would use my yen to load the suica and then go tap into the system to ride the Narita express to shinjuku. Is this the best way to do this? Thank you
I think it is the least stressful way to get to Shinjuku from Narita after along flight.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your assistance with all of this. Having a clear plan once I get off of the plane makes it easier to do things efficiently.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
You could use the Suica card to cover the base fare between Narita Airport and your destination, however if you intend to use the NEX, you still need to get a separate express fee ticket+seat reservation. The Suica card itself is not valid to ride on the NEX, it only covers the rails that the NEX rides on, so you still need the additional ticket.

JR tickets are broken into:
BASE FARE (the cost from point A to point B)
Express Fee (essentially the service charge to use a faster train like the Narita Express)
Seat Fee (the cost of a seat reservation, all Narita Express trains are reserved).

If you use the slower commuter trains between Narita Airport and Tokyo area, then you only pay the base fare. But trains like the Narita Express and Keisei Skyliner require an additional ticket/fee.

The Suica card will cover the base fare, but you still need to purchase a separate ticket (as I mentioned above, for the NEX, the express and seat reservation are combined into one).

So if you do want to use your suica card from Narita, you have to go through the extra step of explaining to the staff you want to use the Suica and only need an express/seat reservation.

Or keep things simple, just get ONE ticket that consists of the base fare, express/seat fee and use the Suica card later.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Railroadtycoon. Thank you. That clears it up. I'll follow your advice.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
+1 to rrt above.

Any extra cash you might save using one of the more convoluted methods would be offset by the sheer hassle. You would be far better off just paying for your N'Ex ticket at the same time you activate your Rail Pass at the JR office at NRT. You will be there anyway and you can use a credit card for that purchase if you want to avoid cash. I suggest having some extra cash in pocket when you leave NRT but you shouldn't need much if you intend to use Suica for most purchases. Considering the disparate destinations in your itinerary, you are almost certain to run across someplace the card won't work.

And I would strongly suggest avoiding any route to the City that would take you onto the Yamanote Line if you have much luggage.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to buy the suica card at nrt using a credit card? Then use yen to refill periodically later in the trip? Thank you for the detailed responses.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
No you can't purchase a Suica or Pasmo with a credit card. There used to be a workaround with the Suica&NEX package, but that is no longer available.

You can buy a Suica card at the vending machines with cash. Remember there is a 500 yen deposit to get the card. When you buy at the vending machines, you also have an option to "register" your card, which will record your name, birthday etc, in case you lose the card you can get a replacement card minus a service charge of issuing a new card. If you had an unregistered card and lost it, then you're out of luck.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

That's what I thought.

Ok. That's what I originally thought. How much do you recommend putting on there?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Ok. That's what I originally thought. How much do you recommend putting on there?
It depends on how long you will be in Tokyo and how much you plan to ride the subways.

Subway tickets within the metro area start at 170 yen and go up to 310 yen. (The subways and private rail lines are more useful in Tokyo than the JR lines are, but you can use the Suica for both.) Some of the subways turn into above-ground trains in the suburbs and cost more, but you are unlikely to go to any of these places as a first-timer.

I generally start with Ą5,000, but you if you run low, you can add value at the machines found in every subway and train station.

If Tokyo is your first stop, don't validate your JR Pass until you are ready to leave and just use the Suica for everything.

On my 2012 trip, I arrived at NRT one evening, paid cash for the N'EX to Shinagawa, spent the night there, and got up early the next morning to validate my JR Pass and take the first leg of a trip to a conference in Hiroshima. (As a passholder, I couldn't take the fastest Nozomi train directly to Hiroshima but had to change at Shin-Osaka, which involved standing on the same platform for all of 10 minutes.) After the conference was over, I used the Pass to tour the island of Shikoku and visit some clients in Osaka. Then I headed back to Tokyo, where I used my Suica to take the subways and other trains to various places in the metro area and the remaining days of the JR Pass to take two long-distance excursions northward. Finally, I took the Skyliner back to NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.