Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Alternative to "Friendly airport limousine bus" in NRT

Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Hello, I will soon fly to NRT. My flight arrives at 10.30AM.

I want to stay in Azakusa but unfortunately there are just 2 busses per day going from NRT to Azakusa.

Is there any 'easy' and convenient alternative to go to Azakusa? Last time it was just perfect and so easy with the bus.

Thanks for any advice!!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Some trains on the Keisei Sky Access line stop at Asakusa; probably the easiest option if that fits your schedule. The trains leaving Narita Airport station at 10:44 and 11:24 stop there, for example.

Otherwise, taking the Keisei Skyliner to Keisei Ueno and then taking the subway from Ueno to Asakusa (or a cab if you have a lot of luggage) is also a reasonably simple option.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

mt-i, thank you very much indeed! I just googeld for it and yes, this is perfect. Did you ever take the train yourself? Are there ticket vending machines or can I buy the tickets onboard? We have quite some luggage, I hope there are not lots of stairways.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Yes, I have taken both the Sky Access trains and the Skyliner a number of times (although I prefer the NEX nowadays because it's more convenient for where I live).

There are ticket vending machines as well as a staffed ticket counter at the airport. Buying tickets should be a breeze. As for stairways, they can be avoided altogether at both ends (Asakusa station has elevators all the way to ground level, but only to exit A2-b according to the floor map).

Note that Sky Access trains are regular commuter trains, so they're a bit slow and not super comfortable after a long flight, but getting right to your station may justify the slower ride. If you prefer a faster and nicer train, definitely consider the Skyliner + a cab to your hotel (I wouldn't recommend the Keisei Ueno to subway transfer with lots of luggage).
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much indeed again, mt-i! Your first hand information is very usefull. I will take the Kisei without having to change the trains. This sounds ideal!!

Thank you!!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Hello again, sorry for bringing this up again. Do you know if there is any way to book the tickets in advance.. for:

- Kisei Access
- Friendly Limousine bus

in English? Unfortunately I just see the Japanese version :-)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, NW
No need to book in advance for the Keisei trains. They run about once or twice each hour, so just go to the ticket counter in the arrival lobby of NRT and buy a ticket. The seats on the Skyliner are all reserved, and I have always been able to buy a ticket for the next train. If you have to wait for a while, you can buy something to drink in the Starbuck's near the entrance to the train platforms.

It has been years since I took the limousine bus to Tokyo, but in October 2013, I took it from Tokyo. I just went to the Tokyo City Air Terminal and bought a ticket for the next bus.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Keisei Access is a regular commuter train without reserve seating, picture subway trains on any large cities around the world, Keisei Access is run by trains like that. No dedicated storage space for large baggage. Keisei Skyliner is dedicated airport express trains with more comfortable seating typical of long distance trains with place to store large baggage. Unlike Keisei Skyliner there is no advance ticket sales for Keisei Access (it is a local commuter train), tickets to ride Keisei Access are sold at Keisei stations and valid only on the day of sale.

Limousine Bus does not accept advance reservation for buses departing Narita Airport. Tickets for Limousine Bus departing Narita Airport is sold on the day of the travel only.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Unless you are on a very low budget, I recommend the Skyliner over the Keisei Access. Not only is it less comfortable than the Skyliner; it also stops at every suburban commuter station.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ksandness
Unless you are on a very low budget, I recommend the Skyliner over the Keisei Access. Not only is it less comfortable than the Skyliner; it also stops at every suburban commuter station.
Not really "every" -- the Access Limited Express makes exactly eight stops between Asakusa and the airport.

http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/subw...akusa_sogo.png

By contrast, if OP took Skyliner to Asakusa, there would be one stop in Nippori, then a change of trains in Ueno with a longish hike underground, then three stops en route to Asakusa on the Ginza Line...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by joejones
Not really "every" -- the Access Limited Express makes exactly eight stops between Asakusa and the airport.

http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/subw...akusa_sogo.png

By contrast, if OP took Skyliner to Asakusa, there would be one stop in Nippori, then a change of trains in Ueno with a longish hike underground, then three stops en route to Asakusa on the Ginza Line...
Yeah, I think Ksandness is confusing it with Keisei main line, which follows a different track. This service is new from 2010 when they also introduced the new Skyliner service. But 90 minutes from HND-NRT..... is that a recent improvement by reducing number of stops or higher speeds?

I think this service is better than connecting via Skyliner if you are going to Asakusa, Nihonbashi and possibly Ginza, and you will get a seat since the train starts in NRT. I guess the bus to TCAT is another frequent service option for Nihonbashi/Ginza. And then the Access Narita bus actually stops in Ginza for only 1000 yen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.