Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Seeking Tokyo fine dining a la carte and best Wagyu

Old Nov 21, 14, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points

I'm looking to dine at a 2-3 star Michelin restaurant with Japanese cuisine that has a la carte dining because I.... gasp... don't eat fish.

The only one I can find is Ryugin which offers it after 9 pm and same day reservations only.

Also, I'm looking to dine on some A5 Wagyu either by Sibuya Crossing or within short walking distance to the Hilton Shinjuku (does not have to have a Michelin star, but wouldn't mind if it did).

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 21, 14, 10:44 pm

Programs: CX MP GR =(
i believe Ryugin is a set menu place.
At least it was last time I went.
Old Nov 22, 14, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hakzai View Post
i believe Ryugin is a set menu place.
At least it was last time I went.
It is, but they currently offer an a la carte option from 21:00 to 22:30 only.
Old Nov 22, 14, 9:57 am

Ryugin has a set menu, but they offer a la carte after 2100 if there is room.

When I was in Tokyo last month, I had hoped to dine there on a Tuesday night but my hotel told me they were booked solid for the week.
Old Dec 1, 14, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

bumping to see if anyone has A5 Wagyu steakhouse recommendations at Shibuya Crossing or near Hilton Shinjuku
Old Dec 2, 14, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
bumping to see if anyone has A5 Wagyu steakhouse recommendations at Shibuya Crossing or near Hilton Shinjuku
i would presume a michelin** or*** steak house would be listed in the toyko michelin guide. there are not very many of them, and most of those that are there do not serve wagyu, but some other beef. look in kobe, or osaka, more beef, less fish.
Old Dec 2, 14, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
i would presume a michelin** or*** steak house would be listed in the toyko michelin guide. there are not very many of them, and most of those that are there do not serve wagyu, but some other beef. look in kobe, or osaka, more beef, less fish.
I took a look at michelin, but nothing seemed to be remotely close to the areas I mentioned.

I certainly don't mind different preparations like shabu-shabu, I just want to sample A5 while in Tokyo. I will be going to more traditional meals on other nights.
Old Dec 2, 14, 5:08 pm

You are severely limiting yourself by wanting the A5 Michelin star steakhouse to be near the Shibuya crossing and Hilton Shinjuku. IMHO !
Old Dec 2, 14, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
You are severely limiting yourself by wanting the A5 Michelin star steakhouse to be near the Shibuya crossing and Hilton Shinjuku. IMHO !
My OP says this does not have to be a Michelin rated restaurant, just that it serves A5 and is in either of those two general locations. I am somewhat confident SOMEONE serves a good A5 meal in Shinjuku or Shibuya.
Old Dec 2, 14, 8:09 pm

My OP says this does not have to be a Michelin rated restaurant, just that it serves A5 and is in either of those two general locations. I am somewhat confident SOMEONE serves a good A5 meal in Shinjuku or Shibuya.
OK, so we now can move to Shibuya-Ku and Shinjuku-Ku in their entirety ! I have been to a teppan place on Koto-Dori in Minami Aoyama. Reservations only at least 1 week in advance. When the 4 of us went, we were the only customers for the night. Price was agreed to before hand i.e. we ordered the 20,000 JPY per head option. My guests received the certificate of the cow when we were done eating. Don't recall if it was A5 or not. Price included soup, salad, seafood appetizer (Hokkaido scallops in our case), 3 different cuts of beef from the same animal, and a mixed rice dish. Ended with fresh fruit and sorbet. We also had 2 bottles of red wine (extra cost). All in all the meal was about 110,000 JPY for 4.

Does that appeal ?
Old Dec 2, 14, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
OK, so we now can move to Shibuya-Ku and Shinjuku-Ku in their entirety ! I have been to a teppan place on Koto-Dori in Minami Aoyama. Reservations only at least 1 week in advance. When the 4 of us went, we were the only customers for the night. Price was agreed to before hand i.e. we ordered the 20,000 JPY per head option. My guests received the certificate of the cow when we were done eating. Don't recall if it was A5 or not. Price included soup, salad, seafood appetizer (Hokkaido scallops in our case), 3 different cuts of beef from the same animal, and a mixed rice dish. Ended with fresh fruit and sorbet. We also had 2 bottles of red wine (extra cost). All in all the meal was about 110,000 JPY for 4.

Does that appeal ?
Thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out.

And by the way, the Tokyo 2015 Michelin stars were announced yesterday
Old Dec 9, 14, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Mon Cher Ton Ton (and it's adjoining restaurant) Seryna in Shinjuku?
Old Jan 17, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: KF Silver (lol)
Anyone have any thoughts on these shortlisted restaurants for a Wagyu dinner in Tokyo (2 people)? The hotel I'm staying in doesn't have a concierge so I'm fully dependent on queue-only or internet-reservations-available places.

Kobe Beef Kaiseki 511 (3.58) 13,800-15,800/pax.
Ginza Ukai-Tei (4.22) 19,440-29,160/pax. (the Omotesando location is full for the dates I have)
Satou Steak (3.59) Not sure how much, 10-15k I guess (queue only)
Karyu (4.20) 26,500 incl. TableAll charge (waiting list only)

Any other recommendations? Teppanyaki/Steak only, not interested in Yakiniku.

Last edited by shuigao; Jan 17, 18 at 5:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 18, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I love FT! I started this thread years ago and I'm going back to Tokyo soon so it's a great refresher.

I did go to Seryna in Shinjinku at I thought the quality and preparation was excellent. They have multiple locations. I went as a solo diner no problem. The rendering of the fat to a crisp is something I will never forget.

I couldn't tell you if it's a "value" though but they do offer a la carte. Just make sure you choose the teppanyaki ones as they have different restaurants with different styles.

https://www.seryna.co.jp/en/monchert...shinjuku/menu/

Let us know where you go.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would reconsider limiting your locations for steak to the Shibuya or Shinjuku areas. The trains service is so easy that location almost should even be considered.

That being said, Dons de la Nature is a brilliant place for steak. He will tell you all about the meat being offered.

If I may suggest a different idea in the Shibuya area... Han no Daidokoro dogenzaka has two locations in the Shibuya area. You choose the meat you want and grill it at the table. Certainly much cheaper and you get to try a number of different cuts. Being a smaller place, you can interact more with people and staff (always a plus for me)..

Just my two cents

Search this Thread