Buying soy / soja / shoyu sauce

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
Made in Europe for sure...
In which Store do you buy it?
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand this question.

In London I buy regular soy sauce (in 1 litre bottles) from one of the Japanese grocery stores - My favourite is the Rice Wine Shop in Brewer Street
http://www.ricewineshop.com/cgi-bin/...?product=shoyu

Most of these Japanese sauces are OK for general use, especially when I'm cooking. However, sometimes I want something more refined, particularly with very simple ingredients - tofu, grilled fish, grilled onigiri (rice triangles). This is when I use the really good soy sauces that I pick up in Japan - the ones I had recommended earlier. I rarely cook with these fine soy sauces, they are added to my dish at the very end.
I have bought artisan soy sauces at Takashimaya and Seibu (also at Isetan).
High end soy sauce is rather difficult to get hold of in Europe and it took me a long time to discover and appreciate good soy sauce. For me it's a treasured and very special ingredient.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Kikkoman has a production facility in the Netherlands.
http://www.kikkoman.eu/consumer/worl...koman/company/
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't think the "standard" Kikkoman soy sauce was expensive in European supermarkets because it's made in Europe. It's because it is sold in 150ml and 250ml bottles.

Admittedly, the 150ml dispenser bottle is a design classic (every home should have one), but it washes up well and you only need to buy it once. After that you can decant into it with cheaper (often better) sauce from a larger bottle.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by LapLap
I didn't think the "standard" Kikkoman soy sauce was expensive in European supermarkets because it's made in Europe. It's because it is sold in 150ml and 250ml bottles.

Admittedly, the 150ml dispenser bottle is a design classic (every home should have one), but it washes up well and you only need to buy it once. After that you can decant into it with cheaper (often better) sauce from a larger bottle.
LapLap, you may be interested in anti-oxidation soy sauce packages invented in these ten years.

Itsudemo shinsen by Kikkoman
http://www.kikkoman.co.jp/kikkoman/s...tle/index.html

Sendo no itteki by Yamasa
http://www.yamasa.com/sendo/package/

Detailed explanation for those who can read Japanese.
www.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/column/20091022/190467/?rt=nocnt

Last edited by O Sora; Nov 23, 2017 at 5:02 am Reason: sauce and source are pronounced in the same way in Japan, so I made a mistake, yeah this my second time on FT only....
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks O Sora
I saw this last year
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52DxT_H_HmU
And wondered when the innovative packaging would become available. I've enjoyed looking at the links you posted and seeing the developments from the other companies.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

Kamebishi shoyu vs Mitoku shoyu

Mitoku also makes shoyu the old ways. I wonder, have you tried theirs and compared them. I admit, Mitoku is very inexpensive compared to Kamebishi, so I assume they are cutting corners somewhere.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Craig Holmes
Mitoku also makes shoyu the old ways. I wonder, have you tried theirs and compared them. I admit, Mitoku is very inexpensive compared to Kamebishi, so I assume they are cutting corners somewhere.
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

Perhaps you aren't aware that you are replying to a 3 year-old thread.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Old thread indeed, and I'd forgotten about it completely.

turns out I can buy the shoyu with the innovative packaging at the Rice Wine Shop in London (been available for a few years). It's from Yamasa and they have various kinds.

brilliant concept! Does what it's supposed to and I recommend it particularly for those who only use soy sauce occasionally as you don't have to worry about the taste changing.

As a kind of related aside, for occasional miso users I learned that the best place to store it is in the freezer (cover it with grease proof paper directly though). Stops fermentation and DOESN'T FREEZE - you can just scoop out as needed.
O Sora likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Old but timely for me at least!

I am in Japan now. I had some Yamato while I was in Kanazawa and loved. I didn't get any to bring home because it was the beginning of my trip and I didn't feel like carrying jars of liquid around for 2 weeks.

Is Takashima in Yokohama still a good place to go for a broad selection?

I am in Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku in case there is an appropriate alternative that is perhaps more convenient.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by angra
I am in Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku in case there is an appropriate alternative that is perhaps more convenient.
At Tokyo one of place for soy sauce from around Japan is Matsuya department store at Ginza (銀座松屋). At B2 floor (Basement 2, lowest floor) there is a store Shokunin Shoyu (職人醤油) at Matsuya department store at Ginza. This store has 80 plus different shoyu (醤油, soy sauce) from around Japan all sold in 100 mL (3.4 oz.) bottle which is convenient for travelers to take home. Soy sauce is categorized by flavor (not region) such as Light Flavor, Sweet flavor, they even have category of White Soy Sauce.
LapLap and Daytona like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Ystore has 80 plus different shoyu (醤油, soy sauce) from around Japan all sold in 100 mL (3.4 oz.) bottle which is convenient for travelers to take home. Soy sauce is categorized by flavor (not region) such as Light Flavor, Sweet flavor, they even have category of White Soy Sauce.
!!! Wow perfect, thanks!

I went to Takashimaya in Ginza yesterday and didn't have any luck finding a good shoyu selection. It may have been there but I could not find it. Later, I went to the Yamato kiosk in the Setagaya store, since I knew that I liked Yamato's shoyu. While there I visited a grocery store that had a few varieties of shoyu in small bottles at a few hundred yen each, so I bought a small
selection somewhat blindly. I did find some usukuchi.

One question about the above: my japanese is pretty limited. I can read about as much Kanji as a 2nd or 3rd grader. Will I have a shot at deciphering the cateogories/organization in that store?
LapLap likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi there, I'm not familiar with the Matsuya shoyu department, but as for Takashimaya (and, I guess, any large department store), don't be shy of asking at an information desk for assistance with a specific product.
You get help, and they get data on what kind of products customers are actively coming to their stores to purchase. Win-win.

I can't always find what I'm after, kamebishi soy salt (the travelling shoyu lover's best friend) can be a struggle to pinpoint in particular. I often rely on a friendly staff member from the info desk to ask her colleagues for me, it's usually a pleasant experience.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by angra
One question about the above: my japanese is pretty limited. I can read about as much Kanji as a 2nd or 3rd grader. Will I have a shot at deciphering the cateogories/organization in that store?
I do not remember there was much of English signs at this store…

This store they catabolize shoyu to six different categories, each with color.

Red category is “Koikuchi” (濃口) which this store indicates what is typical of what shoyu is sold at grocery stores in Japan.
One rank lighter flavor than “Koikuchi” is Orange category of “Amakuchi” (甘口).
One rank lighter flavor than “Amakuchi” is Yellow category of “Usukuchi” (淡口).
The lightest flavor category is White category of “Shiro” (白).

One rank deeper flavor than “Koikuchi” is Purple category of “Saijikomi” (再仕込).
Deepest flavor category is Black category of “Tamari” (溜).

Hope this may be any guidance if you decide to make a visit at this store. Also at this store you can taste all shoyu in the store. You can taste it before you buy it.
LapLap, Daytona and pudgym29 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
At Tokyo one of place for soy sauce from around Japan is Matsuya department store at Ginza (銀座松屋). At B2 floor (Basement 2, lowest floor) there is a store Shokunin Shoyu (職人醤油) at Matsuya department store at Ginza. This store has 80 plus different shoyu (醤油, soy sauce) from around Japan all sold in 100 mL (3.4 oz.) bottle which is convenient for travelers to take home. Soy sauce is categorized by flavor (not region) such as Light Flavor, Sweet flavor, they even have category of White Soy Sauce.
Thank you AlwaysAisle! Wife is very happy and happy wife, happy life!

The descriptions on the counters are multilingual. Easy to browse, sample and purchase. You can get your selections placed in a box, gift wrapped, and bubble wrapped.

LapLap, O Sora and SQ319 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Thanks O Sora
I saw this last year
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52DxT_H_HmU
And wondered when the innovative packaging would become available. I've enjoyed looking at the links you posted and seeing the developments from the other companies.
LapLap, I am very sorry, I didn’t notice your post for three years. Good to hear you enjoyed the links I put and finally you can purchase some bottles in London. Wow, good things spread across the oceans.

turns out I can buy the shoyu with the innovative packaging at the Rice Wine Shop in London (been available for a few years). It's from Yamasa and they have various kinds.

brilliant concept! Does what it's supposed to and I recommend it particularly for those who only use soy sauce occasionally as you don't have to worry about the taste changing.
Agree. Oxidized soy sauce is black and fresh one is purple. I am very happy my $2 package of Yamasa “Sendo No Itteki” will entertain my appetite for next 180 days.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Thank you AlwaysAisle! Wife is very happy and happy wife, happy life!

The descriptions on the counters are multilingual. Easy to browse, sample and purchase.
That shop looks really good. As a Japanese, I have never seen that helpful guidance to buy shoyu.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.