Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo - Kyoto - Onsen Itinerary suggestions/help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

So I was suggested to start a new thread with help on my Tokyo and Kyoto Trip. Some things to know:

1) There are 4 of us, 3 older adults (50+) and me. My aunt gets tired easily as she’s out of shape, so I need help to pare down my itinerary so it isn’t too stressful. They are not into museums. We are going Nov 15 (8:30pm arrival) to Nov 20 (4pm departure). I’ve been to Japan once 7 years ago, my relatives have never been.

2) None of us know Japanese (I took it in high school that was ages ago, the best I know is doko desu ka, so if someone wants to give me common phrases to learn that would be great)

3) My mom really wants to buy a fancyish? rice cooker and blood pressure cuff (made in Japan) for my grandma in China. Where do I go? Akiharabara Laox?

4) We will have Japanese Rail pass and due to the expense would like to keep transportation costs to a minimum (but I understand will have to take a taxi/local train some places).

4) They all want to go to onsen and shot down my idea of going to the Ooedo Onsen Monogatari place in Odaiba. My mom had saw pictures of Kusatsu Onsen and really wanted to go. To my knowledge it’s like 3 hours away and we already have nonrefundable hotel reservations for Tokyo. Is this doable as a day trip? But I think she just wants an outdoor onsen with separated baths so any closer suggestions might be nice (Hakone is closer I heard, but it’s an extra 3200 yen per person for the Hakone pass while Kusatsu Onsen would be covered by J Rail Pass)

5) Would love suggestions for must eat food/backup suggestions as well, but my budget since I’m covering everything (T-T) is preferably 3000 yen or less per person for dinner (less for lunch and breakfast), I could flex to 4000, but that gets really expensive for 4 people. I would love to spend less than that, which means I can’t afford many of the better places. Plus my relatives are pretty stingy (They were talking about bringing crackers and instant ramen to Japan *sigh*) so I rather not hear them nag about the cost even if it was worth it.

Here is my rough itinerary:
11/15 check in hotel at Prince Sakura in Shinagawa, eat nearby. I was looking at bento website, and Kaba seems ok? Any other suggestions? Would love sushi but will take any value priced Japanese cuisine options (soba, ramen, dons, tempera etc.)

11/16 Sunday. (Tsukiji market and 511 is closed wahh)
Grab breakfast from Lawson nearby then go:

Akihabara – Steak Satou 1-1-8 Kichijoji (I know there’s on in Tsukiji but this is the original?) – Tokyo Met Building – Shibuya crossing – Harajuku (100 yen store - maybe Meiji Shrine but I don’t want them to temple out) – Odaiba at night? It seems very crowded though. Also skipping the department store basements but would have just ate.
Any cheap dinner options? I was thinking of Yurakucho Sanchoku Inshokugai since that’s a bunch of antenna shops altogether but that might be out of the way.

Also to open to cutting anything other than Steak (haha). Odaiba train will cost money because it’s not on the JR pass, but any other things should I be wary of?

11/17 wake up at 6am to get on train to Kyoto (yes I’m a little crazy, but the whole point of the trip was go to Kyoto but my stopover would only land at NRT BAH) We will be lodging around Higashikujo Kawanishi in Kyoto.

Arrive 9:30am, put luggage in train station (unless our airbnb host will let us put luggage in early but who knows), go to nishiki market to eat in or around there.

Then do this itinerary (skipping Ginkakuji and starting on Philosopher path or Nanzenji temple, depending how cold it is) http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_e...yoto_full.html since Kiyomizudera is open at 18:30 because of night illuminations. Depending on how the group feels may cut most of the temples on this route after the path and only hit Eikando or something like that and take a cab from there to Kiyomizudera

Then cab to eat dinner at Gion or Pontocho. (Hm Kyoto Sushi? Izuju? Or can we take out from Izuju and eat at different places? Maybe tempera?

Then cab back to lodging place from Gion/Potocho?

I did want to hit a green tea place or soy bean milk place something like that, would that I find it on one of my routes?

11/18
8am: Tokufiji temple (walk from lodgings)
9am: (walk/cab to) Tokufiji station to Kyoto to Umahori JR Station, walk to Kameoka Torokko take Sagano romantic train. (Unless sold out then straight to Saga Arashiyama)
9:45am: Arashiyama - cab to Daikakuji Temple or the other direction Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple
11am: cab to Tenryuji temple to eat Buddist monk fare? (3000 yen lunch set) (I will need backup, Okutan? I just want to try Kyoto tofu or vegetable cuisine)
12pm: explore bamboo groves and Tenryuji temple and bridge
2pm Do foot bath (ashiyu?) at Saga Arashiyama station
2:30 JR Pass use to Fushimi Inari
4pm: Eat 9th Floor of Kyoto station for Ramen floor
5pm: Leave for Tokyo
How's that? The last train to Tokyo is at 8:40pm (Westin Ebisu so can easily get from Shinagawa on Yamanote line) so there is a bit of time buffer in there as well. Or skip everything after Tenryuji temple and go back to Tokyo (or a pit stop somewhere!? What stops are on the Hikari line or maybe can cut some Arashiyama things and do Nara instead?) Or any dinner suggestions for Tokyo (probably eating a later dinner)

11/19
Tsukiji is also closed. (WAH)

So by 7:30am Go to Naganohara Kusatsuguhi (Kusatsu Onsen bus station) (Hyperdia says Ebisu to Omiya to Takasaki to Naganoharakusatsuguchi is that right?)
Arrive at 11am Go do some onsen bath?
Leave by 1:30pm
Arrive in Tokyo 6pm, go to Ueno Ameyoko to see?
Uh what else to do? Probably Eat somewhere, suggestions? Go see night view at Tokyo Sky Tree or Tokyo Tower?

11/20
Finally Tsukiji is open. (taxi from JR station) 8am breakfast at Sushi Dai or Daiwa or Sushi Sei or Takahashi
Walk around outer market. Then taxi to JR station to go to Ueno ameyoko? Or just stick around here for a couple of hours and then JR to airport? (there’s probably lines I need to switch but you know what I mean)
Leave by 1pm to airport for 4pm flight?

I know the onsen is such a waste of time but it might be nice just chilling around for a bit, plus it’s something I actually have to plan for.

Last edited by psychoidiot; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:59 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my wife bought japanese made rice cooker, bread maker, and knifes on line in USA, shipped for free, and delivered to door. why you want to carry them around and pack them. have not considered price comparisons.

Last edited by slawecki; Oct 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Absolutely agree. Buy in US - lower prices, no duty, no shipping, no hassles carrying things around.

http://www.marukaiestore.com/
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
My mom really wants to buy a fancyish? rice cooker and blood pressure cuff (made in Japan) for my grandma in China.
China's electricity runs on 230V 50Hz AC so the models you can choose from will be limited. Akihabara's duty free appliance stores will have them but I don't expect to see them elsewhere.

Blood pressure meters usually run on batteries so voltage is not a problem. Get some good rechargeable batteries like Eneloops.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:47 pm

My mom had saw pictures of Kusatsu Onsen and really wanted to go. To my knowledge it’s like 3 hours away and we already have nonrefundable hotel reservations for Tokyo. Is this doable as a day trip? But I think she just wants an outdoor onsen with separated baths so any closer suggestions might be nice (Hakone is closer I heard, but it’s an extra 3200 yen per person for the Hakone pass while Kusatsu Onsen would be covered by J Rail Pass)
Sounds like the 16th & 19th would be the only days you could conceivably do the onsen trip. Kusatsu is really great, and it's well-worth going. It's really the king of all onsen towns. But I can't fathom a train & bus day trip from Tokyo to Kusatsu. If you replaced the overnight trip to Kyoto with a trip to Kustatsu, that would work. But you say Kyoto is the trip highlight.

You don't even have a lot of time in Tokyo, just to squeeze in a day trip. Anyways, onsen places that would work as a day trip from Tokyo using Japan Rail Pass (and not much more) include Hakone Yumoto, Yugawara, Atami, Ito and Echigo Yuzawa. There're some hotels that offer day-use package that includes use of their onsen facilities and lunch (which can vary from kaiseki lunch to elaborate buffet lunch). Some hotels even have day-use package that includes use of private (kashikiri) onsen. Don't get the Hakone Free Pass if you're just going to Hakone Yumoto. Take the bullet train to Odawara, then it's a cheap additional fare to go to Hakone Yumoto.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
China's electricity runs on 230V 50Hz AC so the models you can choose from will be limited. Akihabara's duty free appliance stores will have them but I don't expect to see them elsewhere.

Blood pressure meters usually run on batteries so voltage is not a problem. Get some good rechargeable batteries like Eneloops.

We could buy a rice cooker here and then bring it all the way back to China I suppose, but was hoping not to lug it around with us in Japan. Might just forget about it then.

Since blood pressure meters are ok, where would I find those? And does anyone know what the japanese words for those are? kanji is fine too.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Sounds like the 16th & 19th would be the only days you could conceivably do the onsen trip. Kusatsu is really great, and it's well-worth going. It's really the king of all onsen towns. But I can't fathom a train & bus day trip from Tokyo to Kusatsu. If you replaced the overnight trip to Kyoto with a trip to Kustatsu, that would work. But you say Kyoto is the trip highlight.

You don't even have a lot of time in Tokyo, just to squeeze in a day trip. Anyways, onsen places that would work as a day trip from Tokyo using Japan Rail Pass (and not much more) include Hakone Yumoto, Yugawara, Atami, Ito and Echigo Yuzawa. There're some hotels that offer day-use package that includes use of their onsen facilities and lunch (which can vary from kaiseki lunch to elaborate buffet lunch). Some hotels even have day-use package that includes use of private (kashikiri) onsen. Don't get the Hakone Free Pass if you're just going to Hakone Yumoto. Take the bullet train to Odawara, then it's a cheap additional fare to go to Hakone Yumoto.
Darn, somehow my post got eaten. I looked at the other onsen you mentioned, and it seems Hakone is my best bet. Unfortunately Tenzan is closed on Thursday. Yunnesan might be good but more like a water park with a traditional like spa part of it. That's another 1600 yen for the roundtrip bus though from Odawara.

The more I look at Kusatsu the more I want to go, so sad.

Does anyone have any other comment about Tokyo/Kyoto day itinerary?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:55 pm

Darn, somehow my post got eaten. I looked at the other onsen you mentioned, and it seems Hakone is my best bet. Unfortunately Tenzan is closed on Thursday. Yunnesan might be good but more like a water park with a traditional like spa part of it. That's another 1600 yen for the roundtrip bus though from Odawara.

The more I look at Kusatsu the more I want to go, so sad.

Does anyone have any other comment about Tokyo/Kyoto day itinerary?
If you really want to go to both Kusatsu and Kyoto, and your Tokyo hotel reservations are nonrefundable as you say, then you could possibly do:
15th: fly into TYO; stay Tokyo
16th: see Tokyo; stay Tokyo
17th: trip to Kusatsu; stay Kusatsu
18th: back to Tokyo (I'd imagine you'd be back 4~5pm); stay Tokyo
19th: day trip to Kyoto; stay Tokyo
20th: fly out.

Understand that I'm not recommending the above. I'd give up on Kusatsu or Kyoto... one or the other. But this is just one way you could conceivably do both Kusatsu and Kyoto. I think Kyoto is potentially doable as a day trip from Tokyo, as long as you'll limit your focus to certain areas. Kusatsu is not imo. Would you be willing to give up going to Kyoto? Kusatsu is really great. Then again, you don't have to go to Kusatsu to enjoy a good quality onsen.

Regarding Tenzan, I went there once and I don't care to go there again. Tenzan has good reputation for some reason, and maybe part of the issue is that I'm too much of an onsen snob, but I didn't care for the layout, crowd and onsen quality there. There're smaller local day-use places in Yumoto that I like better... such as Hakone-no-yu. In Yumoto, your best bet may be Tenseien... it's an onsen hotel that has different day-use onsen packages ranging from onsen only to onsen+meal. Tenseiei is pricier than places like Tenzan, though.

To be honest, the best Hakone onsens are further up than Yumoto. But that adds to your non-JRPass transport costs and time. As far as Yunessun goes, I think it's pretty enjoyable if you go on a weekday (when school's in session). Weekends can be a bit of a zoo, and even on weekdays it's not going to give you that ultimate serene onsen experience. But nonetheless it was enjoyable in its own way. Make sure you use coupons... no one should be paying the full admission at Yunessun.

Atami is the fastest legitimate onsen town to get to from Tokyo via JR. The bullet train goes there.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Atami is the fastest legitimate onsen town to get to from Tokyo via JR. The bullet train goes there.
It's also a bit of dump that's long past its prime. There are far better options out there, although the picture-postcard "private tub in the middle of the mountains" is hard to find anywhere near Tokyo.

One option to consider is the Izu Peninsula, which is reachable from Tokyo by JR in ~90 minutes. Eg. Hanafubuki gets rave reviews.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:56 am

We could buy a rice cooker here and then bring it all the way back to China I suppose, but was hoping not to lug it around with us in Japan. Might just forget about it then.

Since blood pressure meters are ok, where would I find those? And does anyone know what the japanese words for those are? kanji is fine too.
They have many nice rice cookers made by Japanese makes for sale in China too, so not sure if you have to buy it in Japan.

血圧計 Ketsuatsu-kei is the Japanese for blood pressure meter(s)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Dirt
Where is "here"? If USA you will have harder time finding 220v rice cooker let alone made in Japan ones.

To avoid lugging around Japan you can buy it on the last day/night of your stay, so you only need to lug it to the airport. Or order on Amazon.co.jp and have it delivered to the Lawson in Terminal 1. (Note: Not all rice cookers on that page are 220v and/or made in Japan. You have to check each item's detail.) The 7-Eleven in Terminal 2 does not participate in Amazon's delivery scheme. Only items fulfilled by Amazon are eligible for convenience store delivery.

As an aside, last month when I went through NRT, the number of Amazon boxes waiting to be picked up at Lawson filled the counter behind the cash registers. Amazon ought to install lockers at the airport, especially in Terminal 2.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: FT
I am having a look at what you have planned.

I as not sure if you were going to re-jig your days....

Kyoto is one of those cities that I just accept that I will not see everything I want.

if you don't change what your initial plan is, there is way too much stuff on the 18th.

I also think you are doubling back. I would probably go to Fushimi Inari after Tokufiji since they are close to each other and then go to Arashiyama…[although I appreciate your goal might be to go on the scenic train]. I would also suggest that Tenryuji and the scenic trains and perhaps walking in the bamboo groves is all you will have time for and by having gone to Fushimi Inari, you can just take the JR train back to Kyoto station for dinner.

Let us know if your thoughts on things have changed.

As noted, a day trip to Kyoto is possible but as noted, you have to limit what you can see....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bridgeair
They have many nice rice cookers made by Japanese makes for sale in China too, so not sure if you have to buy it in Japan.

血圧計 Ketsuatsu-kei is the Japanese for blood pressure meter(s)

Apparently my mom is afraid of fakes and the import taxes would make up for buying it in Japan. Her friends from China told her to get one in Japan because apparently a lot of people are buying them. The amazon.jp might be a good way to do it without going to Akihabara...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:03 pm

Apparently my mom is afraid of fakes and the import taxes would make up for buying it in Japan. Her friends from China told her to get one in Japan because apparently a lot of people are buying them. The amazon.jp might be a good way to do it without going to Akihabara...
Japanese Rice Cookers are the new Japanese electric shavers. In short, it is a status souvenir for many mainland Chinese tourists when visiting Japan. A Shanghai-nese woman clued me in on a JP to PVG flight. The part which I found amusing is the woman employed a cook for all her meals...

The fuzzy logic rice cookers are nice practical gift for those who want to "set it and forget it". Another nice filial gift is a fancy electronic foot spa.

Yodobashi Akiba has a section for "made for export" and Mandarin speaking employees. They usually have the rice cookers, shavers, and the full gamut of electric beauty appliances. I think they also had some of the washlets (which if I were to be carrying such a large box back... that's what I'd deem a worthwhile purchase if your bathroom has an outlet near the loo). I'm fairly positive they offer tax free scheme in the export section http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30241703.html

Steak lunch set usually costs less than steak dinner. Akihabara to Kichijoji is a long run near commute hours just for steak (and I really like beef). Try Satou's lunch set instead or while you're in Kyoto, head over to Kobe if you can spare the time? There's a teppanyaki place very close to JR Shin-Kobe station.

There's also a green tea place in JR Kyoto station - #4 3rd floor of the Suvaco portion http://kyoto.wjr-isetan.co.jp.e.do.h...loorguide.html which is a branch of a famous shop in Uji (well known for matcha tea)

Kyoto also has tofu shops for fresh soy milk https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...801&dg=feature These are usually small shops and I think a bit of cash comes in handy here.

As evergn mentions there are onsens and then there are onsen towns. Kusatsu has a nice water field that is a quick stroll around and a new public onsen open right next to it. The onsen can be a bit crowded though. While I (another self admitted onsen snob) prefer Kusatsu to some of the big hotel onsens in Hakone, I think it is best saved for an overnight visit.

Last edited by freecia; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:04 pm Reason: + tax free info
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
while you're in Kyoto, head over to Kobe if you can spare the time? There's a teppanyaki place very close to JR Shin-Kobe station.
Are you talking about Wakkoku? That's a pretty reputable place and it's about the most convenient Kobe beef place I can think of for someone coming from Kyoto. Get off the bullet train at Shin Kobe, and it's right there in the Oriental Avenue shopping mall next to the station. You definitely want to go there for lunch, NOT dinner, if you're on a budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.