Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Three Locally Transmitted Dengue Fever Cases Reported. Mosquitoes in Yoyogi Park?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three Locally Transmitted Dengue Fever Cases Reported. Mosquitoes in Yoyogi Park?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM

Tokyo City officials sprayed pesticide in Yoyogi Park today to kill the mosquitoes there as they may be responsible for recent three Dengue fever cases.

Not Ebola but Dengue.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...ue-fever-japan
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Good let's hope they kill ALL the mosquitoes in Tokyo... and cockroaches.... and cicadas. Especially the cicadas!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Good let's hope they kill ALL the mosquitoes in Tokyo... and cockroaches.... and cicadas. Especially the cicadas!
Japanese people basically like the sound of cicadas.

A haiku by Matsuo Basho.

"How still it is here--
Stinging into the stones,
The locusts' trill."
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:28 am

Gaijin basically dislike the sound of cicadas.

A haiku by 5k.

暑い日に
耳を痛める
蝉の声
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next up: Hazmat suit vendors at the entrance to Yoyogi park make a killing !
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Gaijin basically dislike the sound of cicadas.

A haiku by 5k.

暑い日に
耳を痛める
蝉の声

I heard some scientists claimed that the sound of cicadas are uncomfortable to Westerners because its frequency or/and the sound pattern is close to the ones used in Western languages.

In other words, the importance of consonants are lower in Japanese languge than in Western languages.

This can be the reason Basho and most other Japanese don't get irritated by the cicadas.

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Next up: Hazmat suit vendors at the entrance to Yoyogi park make a killing !

Last edited by O Sora; Aug 31, 2014 at 5:25 am Reason: my mistake
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:11 pm

Actually there are many different kinds of cicadas and their "voice" varies quite a bit. Some I actually like, but I can't stand the ones in Tokyo. I'm thinking about developing a miniature drone that will fly around the city with a noise seeking sensor and a high energy particle beam to vaporize the beasts.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Which do you dislike most? アブラゼミ, ツクツクホウシ or ミンミンゼミ?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:49 am
Original Poster

The number of the patients is now 55.
Most areas of the park have just been locked out.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how long this has been going on for, now that signs of Dengue fever are actively being looked for many more examples are being found.

I fell like I've had a lucky escape. This last visit was perhaps the only time I didn't go into the main park at Yoyogi. It's no exaggeration to say that I am completely irresistible to Japanese mosquitoes (they literally queue up to get to me whilst my companions are shunned and left untouched).

Will carefully consider preventative measures for when I return, thanks for the warning.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
I wonder how long this has been going on for, now that signs of Dengue fever are actively being looked for many more examples are being found.

I fell like I've had a lucky escape. This last visit was perhaps the only time I didn't go into the main park at Yoyogi. It's no exaggeration to say that I am completely irresistible to Japanese mosquitoes (they literally queue up to get to me whilst my companions are shunned and left untouched).

Will carefully consider preventative measures for when I return, thanks for the warning.
Laplap, I am sure it was Monday on NHK News 9 where this was the top story, at one point they blamed it on infected "foreigners" being bitten by mosquitoes and then those mosquitoes passing it on ! Sad to say, the park was due for a good clean. I wonder if the resident crows/blackbirds/magpies have it too ?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The newspaper yesterday said they are up to forty-something cases of dengue that appear to have been caused by visits to Yoyogi Park. Fortunately none of them have turned into the acute life-threatening type.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:48 pm

How long until they anticipate the park will be safe to reopen?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I haven't seen any information on that, but various events at the park are cancelled through next week. Meiji Shrine is still open, but they have closed a few access paths on the Yoyogi Park side and are advising visitors to cover up their skin just in case.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Reports on a person catching dengue fever from a mosquito bite in Shinjuku Chou Kouen.

http://www.tokyohyattfan.com/2014/09...k-hyatt-tokyo/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.