Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

"Weird Japan" (unique things visitors to Japan might find odd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Weird Japan" (unique things visitors to Japan might find odd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: UA *G MM
But ANA keeps row 4 on their aircraft (and 7 for that matter). SAS does not have row 13 on their aircraft.

My significant other was on an ANA flight and found that a friend was taking the same flight. It was fully booked but the friend was in row 4 so the guy next to her was extremely relieved and happy to change seats.

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The reason number 4 is sometime avoided in Japan is because “four” in Japanese is homonym of “death” in Japanese.

In Japanese there are basic two ways to pronounce Kanji (漢字, Chinese characters), one is kunnyomi (訓読み) and another is onnyomi (音読み). Word for “four” (四) in Japanese where kunnyomi pronunciation is “yonn” (よん) and onnyomi pronunciation is “shi” (し). Where death in Japanese is “shi” (死, し).

Often you find that hospitals in Japan do not have room no. 4.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gnaget
But ANA keeps row 4 on their aircraft (and 7 for that matter). SAS does not have row 13 on their aircraft.

My significant other was on an ANA flight and found that a friend was taking the same flight. It was fully booked but the friend was in row 4 so the guy next to her was extremely relieved and happy to change seats.
Unique if you are Western, naturally. But no big shakes as this same exact language situation applies in Chinese and is a taboo across China and Taiwan.

Vending machine ramen on the other hand seems uniquely Japanese...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by ainternational
Unique if you are Western, naturally. But no big shakes as this same exact language situation applies in Chinese and is a taboo across China and Taiwan.

Vending machine ramen on the other hand seems uniquely Japanese...
My point was that the supposedly rational Scandinavians eliminate an aircraft row number based on number superstition whereas the more traditional and nominally superstitious Japanese do not. You would expect the opposite.

I also do not understand why being in row 4 or 13 would make a difference. I guess it is very self-centered: if one sits there then the plane is likely to crash, as if the world revolves around oneself.

Or does it mean that they are likely spill coffee on one's trousers in 4 or 13?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Does Japan ( Tokio/ Yokohama) have Public WC?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ToGo
Does Japan ( Tokio/ Yokohama) have Public WC?
No. Everybody does their thing right on the street, in the open. Very different.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:29 pm
Suspended

oh i see thx
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ToGo
oh i see thx
Pickles left out his sarcasm tags. If you're asking whether public toilets exist in Japan, the answer is yes.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Pickles
No. Everybody does their thing right on the street, in the open. Very different.
and some places with glass ceilings also where it can happen.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Has anyone visited the katsuoboshi museum in Odawara?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Has anyone visited the katsuoboshi museum in Odawara?
No. Definitely on my "only if already in the immediate vicinity" visiting list.
If you enter:
籠常
(Kagotsune) into google images you'll get to see all there can be to see in this small shop.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Great thread. I am looking forward to going back to Japan next month. The no tipping thing really gets to me. My last night there I switched hotels, a bellman took my bags to my room and went over everything even making sure I connected to the WI-FI, and it felt so odd that he smiled and simply walked out.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
The no tipping thing really gets to me.
For me, the tipping thing really gets to me (when not in Jpn).
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:34 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by evergrn
For me, the tipping thing really gets to me (when not in Jpn).
Totally agree. What is hard to understand about people doing their job, taking the wage they were offered going into the job and being proud to provide good service? If America with its tipping system offered better service that would be one thing but the service by and large in the US is light years behind even a coffee shop in Japan.

Hopefully more people will find the tipping thing odd as they travel to and then return home from Japan.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, NW
One reason that tipping remains as a custom in the U.S. is that federal law and several (most?) states allow restaurants to pay their servers a sub-minimum wage ($2.10 per hour) on the assumption that they will make it up in tips.

Since it's difficult to survive on even minimum wage, I always tip in restaurants. I'd rather have minimum wage applied to restaurants as well as other types of businesses, but for restaurant owners, it's convenient to make the customer pay the servers directly.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mjm
Totally agree. What is hard to understand about people doing their job, taking the wage they were offered going into the job and being proud to provide good service?
Amen.

Originally Posted by ksandness
Since it's difficult to survive on even minimum wage, I always tip in restaurants. I'd rather have minimum wage applied to restaurants as well as other types of businesses, but for restaurant owners, it's convenient to make the customer pay the servers directly.
Convenient = Lowering their wage cost by having their employees not pay their fair share of taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.