Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

A Non-smoking Hotel in Tokyo: an impossible dream?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any

The title says it all. I've to Tokyo twice, and have enjoyed myself there on both occasions. The hotel where I stayed both times permitted cigarette smoking. My last visit to Tokyo was in 2008.

Will I find a non-smoking hotel among the Western chains? Are there any local Japanese hotels that are non-smoking? I can go as high as US$250 per night, in the shoulder season (May 2015).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
There are some hotels that are entirely non-smoking, others with non-smoking floors, and still others that do it room-by-room. Most hotels also ban smoking in public areas and restaurants (though not always at night). Are you satisfied with your room/floor being non-smoking, or do you require the entire hotel to be non-smoking?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:34 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I think they typically do it floor by floor in your typical business hotel. Don't see how that can be an issue?

In Colorado apparently the ban is only on tobacco smoking so I stayed in a hotel where the hallways smelled like a pack of skunks were on the loose. Of course with the ...... American construction the skunk smell infiltrated my room.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:13 pm

Not impossible

http://www.nonsmokers.jp/en/
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by angatol
A non-smoking room on a smoking floor is ridiculous. What on earth is the point in that? I'm glad I've almost forgotten what it's like for people to smoke in a hotel.
A single non-smoking room on an otherwise smoking floor is possible, but I was thinking more along the lines of a floor being divided into half smoking, half non-smoking, so the smell is more likely to permeate the hallways than if it divided into separate floors.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't the Westin be non-smoking?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Wouldn't the Westin be non-smoking?
wonder if OP means entirely non smoking? even the shangri-la seemed to allow smoking around the bar.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mkjr
wonder if OP means entirely non smoking? even the shangri-la seemed to allow smoking around the bar.
As do all of the finer hotels in Tokyo that I'm aware of. A completely non smoking hotel, even in the bar(s), may indeed be an impossible dream.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:18 pm

There are some, but they tend to be business hotels catering to women.

OP, how about this hotel? http://www.nonsmokers.jp/en/
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; D6503 Build/17.1.1.A.0.402) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.141 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by armagebedar
There are some, but they tend to be business hotels catering to women.

OP, how about this hotel? http://www.nonsmokers.jp/en/
This hotel is well known among taiwanese forum that if you are a smoker and decide not to smoke there, you will still being charged the smoking penalty, and it's not known for good service.

I think major international brand that had non smoking policy carries them in Japan. There certainly be non smoking floor (at least for tokyo marriott / ginza courtyard that I stayed). For a hotel without smoking room it seems to me too much to ask for in Japan.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not impossible. If a non smoking environment is the prime requirement then, off the top of my head, I can think of two examples:

Hotel New Koyo in Minowa and Ryokan Andon where smoking is permitted only in a designated outdoor area.

These can't be the only places, but for other non smoking hotels you will probably need to look along the bottom layers of the luxury spectrum, not at the top.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Thanks, all!

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I appreciate your willingness to share!

The Cube Hotel, though, would not work for me and my friend because we prefer twin beds. The Cube offers only small-, medium-, and queen-sized beds in their rooms.

Once again, thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JohnWM
The Cube Hotel, though, would not work for me and my friend because we prefer twin beds. The Cube offers only small-, medium-, and queen-sized beds in their rooms.
You could always get two rooms - that way you wouldn't have to fight for the bathroom in the morning.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Lotte City Hotel
http://www.lottecityhotel.jp/en/

Smoking allowed in lobby smoking area only. Twin rooms avail. Location is east of "central" Tokyo, very close to Kinshicho station. An OK option IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.