Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

I was pretty happy with the duty free prices for Suntory Hibiki 17 at Haneda.

Does anyone know if duty free prices for Suntory Hibiki and Hakushu are the same between Haneda and Narita?

Also does anyone know if they have Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18? I don't recall seeing it last time.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://duty-free-japan.jp/narita/jp/index.html and search for サントリー
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Hibiki and Hakushu are widely available at Haneda International Air Side, now if you want anything of Nikka it's gonna be tough.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Thanks so much.

Seems like as long as it is the Japan Duty Free, then its nice to know that the price should be the same between Haneda and Narita.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by chichow
Thanks so much.

Seems like as long as it is the Japan Duty Free, then its nice to know that the price should be the same between Haneda and Narita.
Monopolies are great, aren't they?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Japan has very low alcohol taxes (except beer where it is applied to malt beverage specifically) so you will find that buying the booze in the city is going to be lower at normal retail outlets.

This is true worldwide. The exceptions are places with very high taxes. And I think the global "Duty Free" business model is based on ignorance and having Norwegians in transit.
mhrb likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Not always true. If I buy a Nikka Yoichi 20 yrs at retail it would cost me 22.5K Yen (include sales tax), but only 16K or 18K yen (forgot) at airport duty free, which is not insigificant
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
A quick search shows that your Nikka 20 is available for 16.5 k retail. I couldn't find it on the Japan Duty Free site.

Another example Suntory Hibiki 17 is 8000 yen at the airport but 7500 yen (incl the 8% tax) retail.

But sometimes one is surprised by the range of retail. There is this hole in the wall liquor shop near Labi in Shibuya that sold Otard VSOP cognac for like 2600 yen. At a discount shop like Yamaya it probably costs in the high 3000s. Could easily exceed 4000 at Tokyu.
mhrb likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
Japan has very low alcohol taxes (except beer where it is applied to malt beverage specifically) so you will find that buying the booze in the city is going to be lower at normal retail outlets.

This is true worldwide. The exceptions are places with very high taxes. And I think the global "Duty Free" business model is based on ignorance and having Norwegians in transit.
I just wish they had a larger selection of Japanese Whiskies. I have taken a liking to some of the Ichiro malts, so I always pick up a bottle retail and put in my checked luggage.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
How much does the Yamazaki 18 cost at either duty free or just in Tokyo generally? I'll be there in March and debating whether to just wait until then to get it or grab a bottle for $175 USD in NYC later this month
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
How much does the Yamazaki 18 cost at either duty free or just in Tokyo generally? I'll be there in March and debating whether to just wait until then to get it or grab a bottle for $175 USD in NYC later this month
Cheapest I see it online at the moment is 1,7500 yen, in store probably around 2,0000. If the yen slides further could be cheaper for you in terms of USD, but unlikely to be that far off your US price.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yamazaki 25 is only Ą89,000 at the airport. That's less than the distributor price in the US (only liquor license holders need apply).

When I ran out and had offered a friend a taste I had to buy a bottle at retail for about $2000 US.

Hence it's very good value in the airport.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Free Agent
If you have a United branded credit card, you get 10% off at the ANA Duty Free store. I picked up a bottle of Yamakazi 18 for ~$140 that way a few months ago. They also had Nikka 21 Taketsuru.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I am at Narita right now, and all of the stores carrying Yamazaki whisky are completely sold out. I spoke with a salesperson and she said they are frequently sold out. I did see it in many stores in Tokyo, so if you really want this, you might not want to count on finding it at the airport.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Suntory whisky, especially Yamazaki has become bit popular in Japan these days. Thanks to daily morning drama (Asadora, 朝ドラ) by NHK (Japanese public broadcast station) called “Massan” (マッサン). Asadora is 15 minutes drama program broadcasted every morning from Monday to Saturday, NHK has been broadcasting this format of drama since 1961 and it is especially popular among elderly.

The current drama program “Massan” is based on a real life story of Masataka Taketsuru (竹鶴 政孝). Taketsuru was born in 1894 in Hiroshima, father was sake maker. Taketsuru was hooked in whisky making and in 1918 he went to Scotland’s University of Glasgow and studied chemistry for two years. While he was at Scotland he visited scotch whiskey makers and studied whiskey making.

During Taketsuru’s two years stay at Glasgow he met Scottish girl Jessie Cowan, got married at Glasgow, and returned to Japan in 1920 as married couple. This TV drama is about first whiskey making in Japan but same time the story about international marriage back 100 years ago in Japan. International marriage was something most Japanese have not seen back then, not many Japanese seen non-Japanese in their everyday life.

After return to Japan Taketsuru met Shinjiro Torii (鳥井 信治郎), businessman trying to break into non-Japanese alcoholic liquor business. 1906 Torii’s company produced first Japanese made red wine Akadama Port Wine. Taketsuru and Torii built first whisky distillery at Yamazaki near Kyoto, there is JR station Yamazaki between Kyoto and Osaka, this is where name for whiskey Yamazaki came from.

Because of this TV drama, Yamazaki whiskey has suddenly become popular in Japan. Another trivial, origin of the name of the company Suntory. People called president of the company Shinjiro Torii “Torii-san” (鳥井さん), and he just revered that and came up with “San-Torii” which lead to the company name Suntory, as the story has it…

Later on Masataka Taketsuru started his own whiskey distillery. Moved to Yoichi-cho, Hokkaido near Otaru where Taketsuru thought climate of Yoishi-cho is similar to whisky making climate in Scotland. The distillery in Yoichi-cho became Nikka Whiskey.

Masataka Taketsuru and Jessie Cowan remained married and Jessie Cowan passed away from illness from lung at Yoichi-cho at age of 64. Jessie Cowan experienced miscarriage and the couple could not have children. Masataka Taketsuru and Jessie Cowan adopted two children, a girl and a boy. Relationship between their daughter was estranged and the relationship did not re-established till near death of Jessie Cowan.

This TV dram talk a lot about whiskey making, but same time focus a lot on tear jerking story of life of Masataka Taketsuru and Jessie Cowan. Back then international marriage was rare in Japan.  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.