Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Outrageous prices at LAX TBIT duty free. Total ripoff. Hibiki Master's Select for $115.

7473chad likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yes, the price has gone up recently. The Kacho Fugetsu sells for $260. Probably because they kept selling out within hours of delivery.

$115 is not a terrible price, considering it is 10k in JPN airports.
7473chad likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Yes, the price has gone up recently. The Kacho Fugetsu sells for $260. Probably because they kept selling out within hours of delivery.

$115 is not a terrible price, considering it is 10k in JPN airports.
It's actually A$129 ($88) at MEL duty free.
7473chad likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by antebellum
It's actually A$129 ($88) at MEL duty free.
Perhaps it's time to take advantage of that large PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE sticker underneath the bottles
antebellum and 7473chad like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by antebellum
Outrageous prices at LAX TBIT duty free. Total ripoff. Hibiki Master's Select for $115.
I saw the picture before the caption and was thinking "115JPY...awfully cheap... that's got to be a new thimble size container".
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:18 am

Well, I was at Costco doing some weekly grocery shopping, and was surprised when I saw this (last time they had Japanese whisky for sale was about a year ago): Yamazaki NAS for A$119 ($80).
Definitely on the expensive side, but most retailers here goes for at least A$180 a bottle.

Last edited by antebellum; Aug 4, 2019 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:12 pm

Where to buy unusual whiskey in Tokyo?

I'm heading to Tokyo next week and my friend was asking if I can bring back some American made whiskey that was only released in Japan (for example Wild Turkey 17 year). Where would be a good place to buy this in Tokyo?
I'm staying at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Conrad Tokyo. Would this be an appropriate request to ask the concierge for help with? If so, how much would I expect to pay the concierge? (I understand there's no tipping in Japan but not sure whether I would need to in this situation). Thanks for any advice. I don't personally drink whiskey so not interested in a bar that serves it only a bottle to take home.
antebellum likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by greg999
I'm heading to Tokyo next week and my friend was asking if I can bring back some American made whiskey that was only released in Japan (for example Wild Turkey 17 year). Where would be a good place to buy this in Tokyo?
I'm staying at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Conrad Tokyo. Would this be an appropriate request to ask the concierge for help with? If so, how much would I expect to pay the concierge? (I understand there's no tipping in Japan but not sure whether I would need to in this situation). Thanks for any advice. I don't personally drink whiskey so not interested in a bar that serves it only a bottle to take home.
The Bic Camera in Shinjuku is a good spot. Last time I was there I was able to get Evan Williams 12 and a Four Roses Super Premium.

I also went to YaMaYa Shinjuku which is also a short walk away. I was able to find Blantons Black (Japanese only Blantons release) and Japanese only releases of Wild Turkey and Four Roses.

Bring your passport as youll get tax free benefits and theyll usually bubble wrap it as well
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:44 am

deleted
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by greg999
Hasegawa Liquors underground on the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station isn't a bad place to try if you're looking for non-Japanese stuff. They've got a bit of a markup on the latter.

Additionally, Liquor Mountain's store at Ginza 7-7-7 has a good selection as well.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:07 am

Scored two bottles of Suntory Royal 15 yrs Gold Label for 5,700 yen each and two bottles of Fuji Sanroku signature blend on sale for 3,200 yen each. Pretty good month for scoring whiskies under MSRP! Surprised to see Suntory Royal 15 yrs still available at that price!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Had a chance to check Narita Terminal 2 duty free around 11am last Thursday and then Terminal 1 duty free around 2pm on Monday.

At T2 I was able to score one bottle of Hibiki 21 Kacho Fugetsu. At T1 I grabbed one bottle each of Hibiki 21 Kacho Fugetsu and Hakushu 18 Limited Edition. Some notable OOS misses were Yamazaki 18 LE in T2 and Fuji Sanroku 18 LE in T1.

These were from FaSoLa shops, 50,000 JPY apiece.

Last edited by jashsu; Aug 21, 2019 at 5:02 am Reason: Accidentally transposed T2 and T1.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:49 am

Bonus photo: markups at a 7-Eleven in Shinagawa.

7473chad likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
That's quite the markup.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
ANA hasn't offered any Hibiki in their in-flight duty free offerings for many years now. In fact they no longer even serve the 21 year old in F.
They do, but only on NY, Frankfurt and London routes. Other international long haul routes get H17.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.