Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Had dinner last night at Suntory Whisky House in Osaka Grand Front. Premium flight of Hibiki 21,Nikka 18 and Yamazaki 18 for ¥3800. Well worth it. About a 1 1/2 ounce pour of each.
I’ll be there for lunch tomorrow
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:16 pm

Donky Nakameguro

Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Donky Nakameguro

Even their Suntory AO is a rip off. Not sure why people continue to think of Donkis as a reliable source for whisky
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Not sure why people continue to think of Donkis as a reliable source for whisky
With due respect, are you referring to me, or generally?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

My guess is the photo above is Hasegawa (top), and BIC (bottom)...just a guess though
yes and yes. I don’t even bother to check out Donkis anymore..
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Even their Suntory AO is a rip off. Not sure why people continue to think of Donkis as a reliable source for whisky
For many tourists, having a chance to buy Japanese whisky at Donki is something they can't pass up, because they simply don't have access to the stuff at home and/or don't have time to go hunting around central Tokyo or the outskirts. Donki consistently (reliably) stocks the aged stuff, so that's why people go there.

While I don't buy from Donki, I have plenty of visitors who gladly pay the premium to be able to buy something they consider rare and special. They don't even think twice about it. I work close to the Roppongi Donki and it's amazing how quickly the inventory turns over. Everything from the NAS Suntory stuff all the way up to Y18, Y25, H17, H21, H30, Hak18, Hak25 does not last more than a week or so.

Simply put, the demand for overpriced whisky still far outstrips supply.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:26 pm

Well said. If you look closely that price on the Yamasaki 18 years is about the cheapest you will find in Japan right now - in fact I’d be interested if anyone can show it cheaper elsewhere!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
For many tourists, having a chance to buy Japanese whisky at Donki is something they can't pass up, because they simply don't have access to the stuff at home and/or don't have time to go hunting around central Tokyo or the outskirts. Donki consistently (reliably) stocks the aged stuff, so that's why people go there.

While I don't buy from Donki, I have plenty of visitors who gladly pay the premium to be able to buy something they consider rare and special. They don't even think twice about it. I work close to the Roppongi Donki and it's amazing how quickly the inventory turns over. Everything from the NAS Suntory stuff all the way up to Y18, Y25, H17, H21, H30, Hak18, Hak25 does not last more than a week or so.

Simply put, the demand for overpriced whisky still far outstrips supply.
I don't disagree with you
People will pay the prices and Donki knows that that so they price accordingly

But I am going to assume most people on here are not from mainland China and yes, Yamazaki 18, Hibiki 21 and all the others available cheaper in Japan , North America and Europe so traveling to Japan and overpaying for something you can easily get much cheaper elsewhere, unless you're extremely wealthy, is just crazy
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:42 pm

Well said. If you look closely that price on the Yamasaki 18 years is about the cheapest you will find in Japan right now - in fact I’d be interested if anyone can show it cheaper elsewhere!

Just because you don't know where to find them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:42 pm

Thanks for following - but “show” was the challenge.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:48 pm

Tokyo last week

pudgym29 and groovbusta like this.

Last edited by invalyd; Jun 18, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Thanks for following - but “show” was the challenge.
I think James21 has consistently shown the ability to find decent priced bottles in Tokyo/Japan. Invalyd and a couple others have some skills too The question is how much time do you have to hunt? Obviously those two guys have their honey holes and I totally respect wanting to keep the locations to themselves. They've done the leg work (or know the right people) and should be able to reap the benefits.

At the same time, for those that don't have the time or connections to find the reasonably priced stuff, more power to you and your wallet to pay Donki / Liquor Express / after-market prices. Had an American friend in town on business two weeks ago and he picked up 10 bottles of suntory aged stuff, almost all of it from Donki. He only had a couple hours of free time and went straight for the good juice... and no, he didn't blink an eye at the prices.
invalyd and rustykettel like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:28 am

Yes whisky hunting has become my hobby and I’m not gonna lie I did put in lots hours walking from town to town... and a lot of time it’s a miss but luck will be on your side from time to time. The secondary prices will not come down if people keep paying top dollars for the aged Japanese whisky. I felt I was already a bit late when I started enjoying Japanese whisky back in 2014. Lots of people jump on the bandwagon after suntory won big awards but those first wave was mostly whisky lovers. Second wave came in after Chinese market took notice of Japanese whiskies and those were investors. The latest wave was mostly people buying into hype.... just cool to have the bottles . I will keep refusing paying those ridiculous secondary market prices. When I see good bottles at retail prices I only buy a bottle or two. I’m afraid that if I share where I found them people will just show up and buy as many as they can to hoard. We have seen that happened before!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:36 am

Tokyo last week

how dare you posted those ridiculous prices!? They are way above what I’m willing to pay!
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Well, best I've come up with so far is a score of 5 Yamazaki 12 minis at Sogo in Kobe. ¥780 each. Will be in Hakodate this weekend so we'll see.
invalyd, antebellum and 7473chad like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.