Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by sharkmok
Want to ask how hard is to find NAS products from Suntory or Nikka in Tokyo at non-marked up prices? Things like NAS Yamazaki, Hakushu, Yoichi, NFTB.
Will be there in 2 weeks, I have no expectation to find any non-marked up for aged statement ones and not really looking for them.
Of the 4 you mention, I'd say NFTB is the most widely available at regular retail prices. It's regularly available at chain liquor shops, independents, as well as central Tokyo supermarkets.

You can still find NAS Yama, Hak and Yoichi at retail, but it's not as consistent and may require a bit of searching.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Of the 4 you mention, I'd say NFTB is the most widely available at regular retail prices. It's regularly available at chain liquor shops, independents, as well as central Tokyo supermarkets.

You can still find NAS Yama, Hak and Yoichi at retail, but it's not as consistent and may require a bit of searching.
Nikka Tailored should be widely available as well
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta

Thanks for the info. May be I should look at Amazon JP to order some to ship to my hotel.

Originally Posted by invalyd
Nikka Tailored should be widely available as well
Have you had a chance to try it?

PS. I'm in SFO area and had a pre-Japan trip load up on Yamazaki 12, Hakushu 12 & Hakushu 18 from BevMo at reasonable price in the last few weeks.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info. May be I should look at Amazon JP to order some to ship to my hotel.

Have you had a chance to try it?

PS. I'm in SFO area and had a pre-Japan trip load up on Yamazaki 12, Hakushu 12 & Hakushu 18 from BevMo at reasonable price in the last few weeks.
I have not tried it yet, thankfully I've managed to load up on Nikka 12s before they disappear so I will keep drinking those until I run out
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
My buddy was able to score 5 Blantons Blacks in Don Quijote in Osaka for 3400 yen a piece. Glad he's able to send a few my way
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Amazon JP doesn't have the best prices, but the convenience of ordering/shipping to your hotel can't be beat, especially if you don't have the time to visit / hunt shops in person.

I'm sure for most overseas visitors, the availability and selection on Amazon JP justifies the premium price charged.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
So far this trip, batting zero. Nothing in Nihonbashi, Asakusa, Akasaka. At Mega Don Q in Shibuya got excited when I saw a sign that said "Hibiki and Yamazaki on 4F". False alarm. Only thing semi worthwhile was Nikki Pure Malt NAS for Ą64,000. On to Osaka tomorrow and hopefully better luck.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Aloha1
So far this trip, batting zero. Nothing in Nihonbashi, Asakusa, Akasaka. At Mega Don Q in Shibuya got excited when I saw a sign that said "Hibiki and Yamazaki on 4F". False alarm. Only thing semi worthwhile was Nikki Pure Malt NAS for Ą64,000. On to Osaka tomorrow and hopefully better luck.
And it is highly unlikely you will find any age statement Japanese whisky at a reasonable price anywhere in Japan....especially at major liquor stores. I was recently in Nagoya (not at all a tourist destination) and there was nothing. Forget it in Tokyo and Osaka.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
What's the recent price range for Taketsuru Pure Malt NAS across major stores in Japan?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:23 am

What exactly are you hoping to purchase and at what rate? And how is Pure Malt NAS for $600 worthwhile? That bottle should cost about $30.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
What exactly are you hoping to purchase and at what rate? And how is Pure Malt NAS for $600 worthwhile? That bottle should cost about $30.
Added one too many zeros. Sumimasen. Hopefully some Hibiki 17 minis, Yamazaki 12. And agreed on the Nikka pricing.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Added one too many zeros. Sumimasen. Hopefully some Hibiki 17 minis, Yamazaki 12. And agreed on the Nikka pricing.
Hibiki 17 minis are basically gone from retail (unless want to pay a fortune). Some hotel minibars still have them. Yama 12 can be bought much cheaper in the US.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:09 am

Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by james21_h

i guess i had a better luck today for the first hunt of this trip! Only bought a bottle of Yamazaki NAS tho.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Thank you for that info. I'll bear in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.