Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
T1 at NRT completely sold out. As far as I can tell Fa So La won't even carry the special edition bottles anymore as the displays are long gone. They are really pushing Suntory Ao now. I tried it in the lounge and for a $40 world blend it's not bad at all.

ANA shop had one bottle of Nikka 12 left which I grabbed. Nikka Samurai bottle also widely available. From talking to shop clerk, ANA shop received Hibiki 21 shipment yesterday which was gone in about 2 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
T1 at NRT completely sold out. As far as I can tell Fa So La won't even carry the special edition bottles anymore as the displays are long gone. They are really pushing Suntory Ao now. I tried it in the lounge and for a $40 world blend it's not bad at all.

ANA shop had one bottle of Nikka 12 left which I grabbed. Nikka Samurai bottle also widely available. From talking to shop clerk, ANA shop received Hibiki 21 shipment yesterday which was gone in about 2 hours.
did you end up scoring the Yamazaki 25 and Hibiki 30 you mentioned in the previous comment?
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:02 am

I signed up for the KIX auction when I thought I had to be in Japan. I won the lottery for Hibiki 21 and still have the plane tickets, but I don't need to be in Japan anymore.

Of course, I want an excuse to take the trip. Is picking up Hibiki 21 for JPY50k a good enough reason? I personally don't drink whiskey, but I figured it could make a nice gift at some point. Will the Hibiki 21 hold up in storage until I gift it sometime in the future? Thanks
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I signed up for the KIX auction when I thought I had to be in Japan. I won the lottery for Hibiki 21 and still have the plane tickets, but I don't need to be in Japan anymore.

Of course, I want an excuse to take the trip. Is picking up Hibiki 21 for JPY50k a good enough reason? I personally don't drink whiskey, but I figured it could make a nice gift at some point. Will the Hibiki 21 hold up in storage until I gift it sometime in the future? Thanks
Congratulations on the lottery! The price on secondary markets (online, Liquor Express, Liquor Mountain)ranges from Y90-120K ($800-1200) so you have to be the ultimate arbiter if its value. But given the scarcity value of the bottle it will be appreciated by whomever you gift it to, fer sure!
fallinasleep, Duke787 and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Is there a lottery at HND? If so, how does one sign up for it?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep

does anyone need an additional reason to back to Japan? 😂

that is no doubt a long way to go for a Hibiki 21
but hopefully you can make a nice trip from it and not go only for the bottle
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Yamazaki 12 now readily available at Heinemann SYD/OOL. Just pre-order it, and pick it up at duty free after security, if you flying through.

Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Yamazaki 12 now readily available at Heinemann SYD/OOL. Just pre-order it, and pick it up at duty free after security, if you flying through.
With the caveat that you'd have to be crazy to pay that much for a Y12.
groovbusta and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:52 pm

Want to ask how hard is to find NAS products from Suntory or Nikka in Tokyo at non-marked up prices? Things like NAS Yamazaki, Hakushu, Yoichi, NFTB.
Will be there in 2 weeks, I have no expectation to find any non-marked up for aged statement ones and not really looking for them.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:04 pm

With the caveat that you'd have to be crazy to pay that much for a Y12.
Not that bad. That price is in Australian Dollars.
Another point, Australian (Federal) Government impose 85% taxes on whiskies, hence that's why those stuff is so expensive in this part of the world.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Not that bad. That price is in Australian Dollars.
Another point, Australian (Federal) Government impose 85% taxes on whiskies, hence that's why those stuff is so expensive in this part of the world.
It is quite bad... $175 USD / ¥19,000 is absurd, there is much better Japanese whisky to be had for that price.
james21_h and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:39 pm

It is quite bad... $175 USD / ¥19,000 is absurd, there is much better Japanese whisky to be had for that price.
Yeah that is pretty bad.... I got a bottle of Nikka Takesuru 17 for $130 just last month...... Which in my opinion is better than Yamazaki 12.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
Yeah that is pretty bad.... I got a bottle of Nikka Takesuru 17 for $130 just last month...... Which in my opinion is better than Yamazaki 12.
You could buy a Blenders Choice, Nikka 12, Hibiki 17 mini and still have some change leftover for ¥19k
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

You could buy a Blenders Choice, Nikka 12, Hibiki 17 mini and still have some change leftover for ¥19k
I do agree, and I've seen these prices, but I wouldn't have a chance to visit Japan until after the Olympics (end of next year)?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:04 am

I do agree, and I've seen these prices, but I wouldn't have a chance to visit Japan until after the Olympics (end of next year)?
Well said mate. Not everyone can get access to the best price, and as you say, if you cant make it to Ginza and spend half a day searching around, you should feel free to pay the price you feel for the pleasure.
7473chad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.