Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:45 am

One thing I do notice is that the price on Hibiki 17 has gone up quite a bit in last month. Even on major Japan online auctions has gone up 2k-5k yen. It's now in the range of Y30,000 to Y35,000 yen! Glad that I scooped some when it was in the range of Y20,000 to Y25,000!! Same thing with Hibiki 21..... I guess they will not be at any reasonable prices from now on... Bought couple more of the Nikka 12 at Y6,000 with the fancy box. They are getting a bit harder to be found now.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
One thing I do notice is that the price on Hibiki 17 has gone up quite a bit in last month. Even on major Japan online auctions has gone up 2k-5k yen. It's now in the range of Y30,000 to Y35,000 yen! Glad that I scooped some when it was in the range of Y20,000 to Y25,000!! Same thing with Hibiki 21..... I guess they will not be at any reasonable prices from now on... Bought couple more of the Nikka 12 at Y6,000 with the fancy box. They are getting a bit harder to be found now.
I think the 17 stocks are depleting so it makes sense. My guess is they will level out around ¥40-¥50k in the next few months and stay there. H21 is still available for retail, but mostly in smaller shops around Kansai region or rural Japan.

I also grabbed a couple of Nikka 12s , BiG Ginza still has them for about ¥5.8k, thankfully with smaller box so it's easier to transport back. They were limiting the NFTB to 1 per customer though ... can't help but wonder if that's next to go!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
I think the 17 stocks are depleting so it makes sense. My guess is they will level out around ¥40-¥50k in the next few months and stay there. H21 is still available for retail, but mostly in smaller shops around Kansai region or rural Japan.

I also grabbed a couple of Nikka 12s , BiG Ginza still has them for about ¥5.8k, thankfully with smaller box so it's easier to transport back. They were limiting the NFTB to 1 per customer though ... can't help but wonder if that's next to go!
No.... that's one of my favorite daily drams!! They already canned Nikka Date which is my other cheap daily dram until earlier this year... Is there going to be anything left for us (actual whisky drinker) to drink? Just miss the days back in 2013 and 2014 when everything was affordable to buy, drink, and enjoy.... When people didn't even know Japan produce good whiskies at all....
Will be in Taiwan in 2 weeks, already have some great Kavalan lined up for me to pick up. I guess I will switch to Kavalan when there's nothing left in Japanese whiskies...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:15 am

Will be in Taiwan in 2 weeks, already have some great Kavalan lined up for me to pick up. I guess I will switch to Kavalan when there's nothing left in Japanese whiskies...
Just got back from Taipei yesterday actually, the Kavalan shop in downtown had some awesome prices. About $100 USD for their Soloist offerings. Picked up a few bottles and got to taste some nice drams, highly recommended!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Just got back from Taipei yesterday actually, the Kavalan shop in downtown had some awesome prices. About $100 USD for their Soloist offerings. Picked up a few bottles and got to taste some nice drams, highly recommended!
Awesome man!! Yeah I make trip there every year. Their shops do the premium line tasting for $13 USD (4 of 15ml). To me that's the best way to try out their premium lineup before buying. Plus they always hand out free samples for the regular solist line!! I usually get my bottles thru EVA airline since they offer 20% off if order 3 or more items. You can get Sherry Solist for $80 with a free mini bottle. I wish EVA has the Hibiki Master Select as their premium whisky lineup.
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Both James21_h and invalyd make some good points about the pricing for the Hibiki 17. After daizawaguy said that the Hibiki stocks were depleted at the Liquor Express in Ginza I decided to stop by and lo and behold the shelves were empty, with just cards saying to check availability at the register. Just about a month ago (when the Hibiki 17 was in fact 2-5K less than it goes for now (which is 34800 yen plus tax)) there were stocks lining the shelves. Now they’re all gone. invalyd is probably right that they’ll probably head back up to the high 40K range or higher, which is where they ended up during the initial frenzy just before and after it went off sale. Given its popularity not surprising either.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by PastisDetox

Both James21_h and invalyd make some good points about the pricing for the Hibiki 17. After daizawaguy said that the Hibiki stocks were depleted at the Liquor Express in Ginza I decided to stop by and lo and behold the shelves were empty, with just cards saying to check availability at the register. Just about a month ago (when the Hibiki 17 was in fact 2-5K less than it goes for now (which is 34800 yen plus tax)) there were stocks lining the shelves. Now they’re all gone. invalyd is probably right that they’ll probably head back up to the high 40K range or higher, which is where they ended up during the initial frenzy just before and after it went off sale. Given its popularity not surprising either.
I think they go in and out of stock, as I went twice last week, first time they were sold out and second time they had them. There's also 2 Liqour Express shops in Ginza, on opposite sides of each other, but with different stock.

You are right that the price did go up though -- at ¥30k I could just barely justify it but I refuse to pay above that for a bottle of H17. Thankfully I should have enough stock now to last quite sometime.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
My local supermarket still has plenty of The Nikka 12, big box version, at 5600 yen and NFTB at 2300 yen with no limits on either. I'm not that worried about NFTB as it's available in the US in a 750ml bottle for $65 retail and even less when Costco has inventory. I have added a bunch of Nikka 12 to my reserves though.
invalyd and james21_h like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:42 am

An older bottle of Hibiki 17 for less than Yen 15,000!

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/s...vc_shp_2327384

This was found on kakaku.com which is a price search engine. I have also often found links to regional sellers on kakaku, and accessed their web sites directly with success.

Last edited by daizawaguy; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:53 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
An older bottle of Hibiki 17 for less than Yen 15,000!

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/s...vc_shp_2327384

This was found on kakaku.com which is a price search engine. I have also often found links to regional sellers on kakaku, and accessed their web sites directly with success.
Too bad it says out of stock.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:19 pm

Too bad it says out of stock.
Apologies! I`ll post it before lifting it next time...

Last edited by daizawaguy; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:32 pm

We expect to be stopping by both the Nikka Yoichi distillery and the Suntory Yamazaki distillery this Summer, so will be interested in seeing what is on offer and at what price. The one thing we've read is to (maybe) skip the standard free tasting, and to go directly to the paid higher end tastings that are available at a quite reasonable rate.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by BeachRat
We expect to be stopping by both the Nikka Yoichi distillery and the Suntory Yamazaki distillery this Summer, so will be interested in seeing what is on offer and at what price. The one thing we've read is to (maybe) skip the standard free tasting, and to go directly to the paid higher end tastings that are available at a quite reasonable rate.
Yoichi distillery experience is quite disappointing compared to Suntory, many of the rare bottles are not even available to taste. you can taste Taketsuru 21 for about ¥500 and some discontinued Yoichi bottles. The gift shop has Tsuru NAS and the flavored malt cask bottles but that's about it. Yamazaki tasting room is much better with nearly everything available to taste for a reasonable price and you can sometimes get rare bottles if you're lucky.
BeachRat likes this.

Last edited by invalyd; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Apologies! I`ll post it before lifting it next time...
Not a problem , most of us have already stocked up years ago while you hunting for Harmony NAS
james21_h likes this.

Last edited by invalyd; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:13 am

It has begun

Hasegawa liquors has the hibiki 17 listed for 49,800 yen and the hibiki 30 for 458,000 yen. Quite the mark up. Where exactly was that hibiki 17 for 35,900 yen posted earlier found at?

Last edited by Migue Bolindo; Mar 14, 2019 at 5:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.