Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:32 am

The stock situation is getting very desperate - Sokuhai in Ginza, long with inflated prices but at least stock, has lost about 70% of its stock in the past week. Chita too is now difficult to get - when a grain whisky gets difficult to get, things are getting desperate. Liquor Mountain too, is out of most Japanese whisky. Suntory Toki, about $33 in the US, is now at Yen 14,000 here, with a few bottles in Ginza only. I saw a Chinese gentleman try and buy 20+ bottles in a case at the second Sokuhai shop, with the shop assistant looking very nervous...

I stick to my forecast that ahead of the Olympics Suntory Royal will be the next premium priced whisky....STOCK UP FAST!
DGibb and 7473chad like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Nikka is discontinuing The Nikka 12, so you better act fast!
https://bit.ly/2EEzDLK
Oh yeah saw this coming late last year and with rumor two month ago I stocked up 8 bottles at $50 each. I should be good for the next few years!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
The stock situation is getting very desperate - Sokuhai in Ginza, long with inflated prices but at least stock, has lost about 70% of its stock in the past week. Chita too is now difficult to get - when a grain whisky gets difficult to get, things are getting desperate. Liquor Mountain too, is out of most Japanese whisky. Suntory Toki, about $33 in the US, is now at Yen 14,000 here, with a few bottles in Ginza only. I saw a Chinese gentleman try and buy 20+ bottles in a case at the second Sokuhai shop, with the shop assistant looking very nervous...

I stick to my forecast that ahead of the Olympics Suntory Royal will be the next premium priced whisky....STOCK UP FAST!
Toki needs to be imported so the price is no surprise. I highly doubt a 1500 whisky is going to be the next big thing or it would have already been inflated.
7473chad likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
Oh yeah saw this coming late last year and with rumor two month ago I stocked up 8 bottles at $50 each. I should be good for the next few years!
Looks like they are releasing The Nikka Tailored NAS to replace this one. Bottle looks the same with a dark blue label instead.

New Essence of Suntory will also release, this time all three are from Yamazaki casks, seems to be B2B only. Will be curious to try these. Hopefully they have them at Hakushu distillery next week!

https://www.suntory.co.jp/whisky/essence/

Anyone who is screaming, "stocks are drying up" must have been living under a rock for the past few years, thankfully we are still seeing consistent new releases from all major distilleries.

Last edited by invalyd; Mar 1, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:32 pm

My friend just picked up two more bottles of Nikka 12 at local Donki at Y6480 including tax. Still couple bottles left. So yeah they are still around. Hibiki BC are widely available at a rage of Y10800 to Y14000. Chita are still widely available and Costco had them for less than Y3000 just a month ago. Most of the NAS Japanese whiskies including Fuji Sanroku 50 are still widely available. Just the age statement are harder to find at a reasonable price in my experience (except Nikka 12). Hibiki 17/21 can still be found at USD 250/450. They are out there!!
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:17 am

Yup, they are definitely out there. Nowadays people go to Ginza, Shinjuku and Roppongi and say the stock is dry... well, thousands of tourists are going to these same shops every day. It's a big country, enjoy the hunt!

I have a friend who got 3x Hibiki 21s just last week for 25,000 in Osaka area
james21_h and 7473chad like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Yup, they are definitely out there. Nowadays people go to Ginza, Shinjuku and Roppongi and say the stock is dry... well, thousands of tourists are going to these same shops every day. It's a big country, enjoy the hunt!

I have a friend who got 3x Hibiki 21s just last week for 25,000 in Osaka area
Man, I wish i had that luck scoring Hibiki 21 at 25,000 while I was there. Maybe in summer I will have better luck!! Nothing to complain really because I finally scored couple bottles of Hibiki 21 Airport LE. My coworkers got lucky and brought them back for me. I cut him a pretty check for his effort! Hopefully they will keep producing Yamazaki 18, Hakushu 18, and Hibiki 21 these three are the icon of Japanese whisky in my opinion!
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
New Essence of Suntory will also release, this time all three are from Yamazaki casks, seems to be B2B only. Will be curious to try these. Hopefully they have them at Hakushu distillery next week!
https://www.suntory.co.jp/whisky/essence/
The Essence of Suntory 2019 set is already selling for over 100,000 yen on the resale markets. Not sure what the original retail price was though.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
The Essence of Suntory 2019 set is already selling for over 100,000 yen on the resale markets. Not sure what the original retail price was though.
Goodness yes, even seen it for Yen 201,000! They were Yen 10,000 for the Yamazaki and Wine Finish, and Yen 5000 for the Hakushu, so Yen 25,000 for the set of three!

Now that makes a bottle of Yamazaki 18 and Hakushu 18 seem cheap for 59,000 and 42,000, the best prices online at the moment.
7473chad likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:45 pm

Much has been written lately about Suntory whiskies. How about Nikkas Taketsuru lineup? Has anyone seen any in the wild lately (ie not in a Donki or other secondary market)? I think my last sighting dates back a year and a half if not more. Is that another indication of the depletion of the stocks?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Ao. Never thought the market for Japanese whisky is this crazy now, where sellers is either marking up to insane prices, or just out of stock. I must be right to buy a few home. (double entendre, 1. sounds similar to oh, 2. Suntory's new world whisky)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by PastisDetox
Much has been written lately about Suntory whiskies. How about Nikkas Taketsuru lineup? Has anyone seen any in the wild lately (ie not in a Donki or other secondary market)? I think my last sighting dates back a year and a half if not more. Is that another indication of the depletion of the stocks?
NAS is 3000, pops up occasionally, 17 years is 14,000 and 21 years 24,000 on line...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Ao. Never thought the market for Japanese whisky is this crazy now, where sellers is either marking up to insane prices, or just out of stock. I must be right to buy a few home. (double entendre, 1. sounds similar to oh, 2. Suntory's new world whisky)
This is a "world" blend, right - "The new blend will feature liquid from distilleries located in the five largest whisky-making regions around the world, namely Scotland, Japan, Ireland, Canada, and the USA. Suntory and it's US arm, Beam Suntory, own a large number of distilleries, including Laphroaig, Bowmore, Tyrconnell, and many other brands."
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
NAS is 3000, pops up occasionally, 17 years is 14,000 and 21 years 24,000 on line...
Thanks daizawaguy but thats precisely my point: Ive seen Yama 12 and 18 and Hibiki 17 and 21 in the wild within the last year (ie for retail) but cannot remember seeing either of the age statements for Taketsuru. Anyone lucky to buy them at retail in a department store or sympathetic liquor shop somewhere in the countryside?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by PastisDetox

Thanks daizawaguy but thats precisely my point: Ive seen Yama 12 and 18 and Hibiki 17 and 21 in the wild within the last year (ie for retail) but cannot remember seeing either of the age statements for Taketsuru. Anyone lucky to buy them at retail in a department store or sympathetic liquor shop somewhere in the countryside?
They pop up at Yamaya sometimes , but you make a good point, not as often as Suntory whiskies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.