Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by carpediemloh
Donki Dotombori still have 8 mini Yama 12’s today but the price is ¥1,980 before tax/50ml *sweats*..
Outrageous. This is more expensive than the Conrad minibar! They're only ¥1,800 tax included.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:19 am

Following daizawaguys lead trekked down to the Nakameguro Donki. It’s quite a ways from the station (maybe 10-15 minutes) but if you make the long trip down there you’ll find quite a selection of Suntory and Nikkas, though again at substantial markups. (They had the Nikka Miyagikyo Manzanilla edition, among others.) So again, if you’re looking to pay retail, this is not your place; but if you’re tired of hunting with nothing to show for it, you will find quite a variety there. And plus there’s all kind of interesting restaurants in the area.
Tokyu Department store in Shibuya had NAS Hakushu and Hibiki today in stock. The randomness of these deliveries perplexes me to no end.
invalyd, daizawaguy and 7473chad like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by PastisDetox
Following daizawaguys lead trekked down to the Nakameguro Donki. It’s quite a ways from the station (maybe 10-15 minutes) but if you make the long trip down there you’ll find quite a selection of Suntory and Nikkas, though again at substantial markups. (They had the Nikka Miyagikyo Manzanilla edition, among others.) So again, if you’re looking to pay retail, this is not your place; but if you’re tired of hunting with nothing to show for it, you will find quite a variety there. And plus there’s all kind of interesting restaurants in the area.
Tokyu Department store in Shibuya had NAS Hakushu and Hibiki today in stock. The randomness of these deliveries perplexes me to no end.
Did someone say you need a Tokyu store-branded credit cards to buy those whisky at Tokyu Shibuya??
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:32 am

Antebellum, That was the previous time when I stopped by and they had Blenders Choice for purchase I f you had the credit card. These bottles were NAS, and there were no restrictions (aside from the usual one per customer limit)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Outrageous. This is more expensive than the Conrad minibar! They're only ¥1,800 tax included.
You don’t say. Price gauging there fo’shure.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:15 am

I think most of aged Japanese whiskies are now dried out. Harder than ever to find them at retail prices now. I am pretty much giving up getting them at retail. All the efforts and train rides add the cost to it. I guess I will start enjoying what I got and stop the hunt! Been on the hunt since early 2015..!
7473chad likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Was at Haneda week and did not get bother looking at the duty free whiskey as I knew what it would be like.

Perhaps off topic but I am in Taiwan right now and the hotel I am staying in has a large whiskey store (almost museum like) with more Japanese whisky than I have ever seen in my life. Debating buying some Ichiro double malt which I can never find in Japan. They have scads of it here.

One video claimed it is Asia’s largest collection, and I certainly believe it

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Was at Haneda week and did not get bother looking at the duty free whiskey as I knew what it would be like.

Perhaps off topic but I am in Taiwan right now and the hotel I am staying in has a large whiskey store (almost museum like) with more Japanese whisky than I have ever seen in my life. Debating buying some Ichiro double malt which I can never find in Japan. They have scads of it here.

One video claimed it is Asia’s largest collection, and I certainly believe it

Where is that in Taiwan? I will be there next month! Would like to check it out!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Hotel Kuva Chateau in Zhongli area. it’s about 10 minutes walk from A21 station on airport MTR Huanbei station. basically opposite direction from airport than Taipei, but not along ride from airport.

Found this video. Pm me if you need more. Prices are not cheap, but selection...wow and I mean WOW.

Store opens 1pm.

Last edited by mapleg; Feb 23, 2019 at 1:27 am Reason: U
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:21 pm

Here's my summary of what I`d be stocking up pre-Olympics:

Yamazaki Limited 2017 Yen 30,000 Amazon
Nikka 12 (Still available at Yen 5,800 around town, but already Yen 11,800 on Amazon)
Any Hibiki - available occasionally at list for NAS and Blender's choice, but this will be the dram in most demand at Olympic time, IMHO
Nikka From the Cask - Yen 2,400 but predict the will be sold or double by Olympic time

I also predict Suntory`s Royal, long available pretty widely, will be the next to see shortages, and price increase ahead of the Olympics
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Well this is a first, saw a Hibiki 30 at the 7-11, right below the $5 wine 😂

Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Well this is a first, saw a Hibiki 30 at the 7-11, right below the $5 wine 😂

Hahaha, that's so funny! Can't believe 7-11 can jack up prices!!?? I mean the MSRP for Yamazaki NAS 180ml is like Y1200. Just wow!!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by james21_h
Hahaha, that's so funny! Can't believe 7-11 can jack up prices!!?? I mean the MSRP for Yamazaki NAS 180ml is like Y1200. Just wow!!
Note that the increased price tags use a different style than the others such as Chita.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Hibiki Harmony for Y15000? LOL. I can get it easily in the States for about half that. Someone is really optimistic in their pricing...
7473chad likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Here's my summary of what I`d be stocking up pre-Olympics:
Nikka 12 (Still available at Yen 5,800 around town, but already Yen 11,800 on Amazon)
Nikka is discontinuing The Nikka 12, so you better act fast!
https://bit.ly/2EEzDLK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.