Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by DGibb
I thought I thought that NFTB is around 1,800-2,200 yen? Or is my info out of date? It must be...
I've not seen any in stores in Tokyo, but not gone out of my way to look either. And when I have shelves have been near dry except for the entry level stuff (e.g. see Kirin 50 degres everywhere - not recommended). These are all Amazon prices. in short, quality Japan days are well & truly over. It needs 10+ years to recover.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Enigma
I've not seen any in stores in Tokyo, but not gone out of my way to look either. These are all Amazon prices. in short, Japan days are over. It needs 10+ years to recover.
NFTB seems to be running low stock but many stores still have it. If you want it I wouldnt delay, it will probably be gone soon.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by JHunter
what is the "distillery only" bottle? And from a drinking perspective, do I want it?
It's exactly what it says, and yes you do. Not expensive and makes for a nice souvenir if nothing else.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Enigma
It's exactly what it says, and yes you do. Not expensive and makes for a nice souvenir if nothing else.
doesnt taste very good though, so theres that.
but for $10 its hard to go wrong.
yamazaki distrillery also LE 2017 bottles available for 10,000. they put out about 5 a day. try to show up at 10am if you can.

Last edited by invalyd; Nov 1, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:53 am

I'm going to try to get an early start on my day (Sunday) at Fushimi Inari or another shrine/temple for early morning, then head towards Yamazaki around 9am. I'll try to pick up a bottle if they have it available, and maybe a tasting glass before getting on with my sightseeing and whisky hunting.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:12 pm

Ok, which one of you cleaned out Hasegawa? Sold out less than one day later
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:58 am

Don Quijote Shibuya (yes it was that messy in front of the cabinet)

NFTB not seen in any stores today. Just a whole lot of nothing - there's super cheap and super expensive, with nothing spotted worthwhile (from Japan anyway) inbetween.

Last edited by Enigma; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Wow, Hakushu 12 appears to be more expensive in Japan than in Hong Kong even...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
doesnt taste very good though, so there’s that. but for $10 it’s hard to go wrong.
Only had the Hakushu one from 2016 and I thought it was perfectly drinkable. Wasn't expecting top shelf. lol. Unique, numbered bottle (boxed from memory) for $10 - in this climate it's a steal.
@DGibb if you get to the tastings bar please take photos of the menu - curious to see what they do/don't have, and if prices have changed.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Wow, Hakushu 12 appears to be more expensive in Japan than in Hong Kong even...
I can still find Hakushu 12 at a number of local shops for <$100.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:25 pm

Yes, it's only more expensive in Asia. Costco was in stock last week for $68.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Yes, it appears the remaining stock in Europe/US is still priced at 'original' levels.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

pretty good haul for me this trip
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jpdx
the Oregon Liquor Control Commission came through for me: Five blocks from my house, I bought two cases of Yamazaki 12 at $90 and four bottles of Yamazaki 18 at $250.
Was checking OLCC's inventory page, and while nothing locally, prices for the 12 year are now $99.95 and no inventory for the 18.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Was checking OLCC's inventory page, and while nothing locally, prices for the 12 year are now $99.95 and no inventory for the 18.
I saw that too, prices have gone up. But of course not nearly as bad as they have in Asia. And the fact that you can just check the website and be reasonably certain that theyll have the inventory in stock if you go makes the $100 for Y12 still a decent deal.

For laughs, heres Y12 at Donki in Singapore:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.