Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Sorry, but you are incorrect. I bought several bottles of Yamazaki 12 (not NAS) at Shinanoya this year for 9k. I've also known people who have purchased Hibiki 17 from them last month, but I guess you would say they haven't had that in stock either??
May I ask which shinanoya? I sometimes stop by one in the suburbs, and I've catched at best a couple of Hakushu NAS.
Always honest prices anyway, they charge RRP (less actually, 4100JPY+tax).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GC93
May I ask which shinanoya? I sometimes stop by one in the suburbs, and I've catched at best a couple of Hakushu NAS.
Always honest prices anyway, they charge RRP (less actually, 4100JPY+tax).
This was at Shinjuku. I think it's a good store to make a relationship with if you speak Japanese, they would maybe hold a bottle for regular customers.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:36 am

Just flew ANA biz class from SFO and they are no longer serving H17 minis but went back to pouring from the big bottle. Never been so disappointed to be handed a large glass of Hibiki 17
Duke787 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:42 pm

Gonna have a couple of hours to roam around in NRT on a late afternoon. I'm assuming the Nikka 12 is widely available? I will still keep the Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki, and Hakushu in mind though (if by chance they can be found and prices are OK)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seks
Gonna have a couple of hours to roam around in NRT on a late afternoon. I'm assuming the Nikka 12 is widely available? I will still keep the Suntory Hibiki, Yamazaki, and Hakushu in mind though (if by chance they can be found and prices are OK)
Didn't see Nikka12yo anywhere when I was at NRT last month (~830am in T2 ahead of flying NRT - ORD on JL). Only thing I saw was Yoichi NAS and Miyagiko NAS (though both very well priced compared to both Ginza and of course the US).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:41 pm

You won’t find Nikka 12 at the airport but can get it at any other liqour store easily.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Just flew ANA biz class from SFO and they are no longer serving H17 minis but went back to pouring from the big bottle. Never been so disappointed to be handed a large glass of Hibiki 17
Best Japan Airlines biz class could offer Australia to Japan was Hakushu NAS (I assume, based on menu as I refrained this time - will be a different story flying home!). *sigh* Been 2 years since being in Tokyo - it was fairly dry then, and now very, very dry in most places for anything close to decent. Ended up ordering some Kavalan from Amazon for a fraction of what I'd pay in Australia.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:25 pm

Well, my flight (DL Economy class) heads out Friday morning DTW to NGO. I plan to enjoy any of the Woodford or Jack that remains by the time beverage service gets to 22B. Does Japanese whisky get served to the plebs in coach?

I plan to hit a few liquor stores in Kyoto and Nagoya (I'll pick up some Wild Turkey 8, Nikka From the Barrel, Yamazaki 12 if its around), maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle. I hope also to pick up a couple Nikka Gold & Gold Samurai bottles at duty free at NGO for my return trip. I have friends who really want a bottle of this for their drinking & displays.

Edit - Oh, by the way, I see Macallan 12 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel as options, or are those only available in Delta One?
Duke787 likes this.

Last edited by DGibb; Oct 30, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: Added another question
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by DGibb
maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle
Tours get booked weeks in advance, but cancellations happen all the time (Sundays are probably popular though). Check the website regularly. When I went to Hakushu 2 years ago they had a shop anyone could go to, and pretty sure it had the distillery only bottle (limit 1 per person). Assume Yamazaki is the same. But what you really want is the tastings at the bar - top shelf at rock bottom prices.

Nikka From The Barrel is pretty common so shouldn't be hard to find. On Amazon too if you want it delivered to convenience store (easy to do once you get the hang of it) - seen it range from Y2500 to Y3800. Remember, it's 500ml not 700ml.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:26 am

I tried to book the tour within an hour of the times being released for reservations on September 3rd. It was booked almost immediately. I plan to try to see if there's a cancellation, otherwise I'll have a check out the distillery bottle, have a few tastes and be on my way.

I thought I thought that NFTB is around 1,800-2,200 yen? Or is my info out of date? It must be...

The hunt begins this weekend!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by seks
The Nikka 12 years is available at select liquor shops and higher end supermarkets. A very good value (under 6000 yen) in my opinion and my current go to gift for overseas friends. Most have never seen or tasted it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DGibb
Well, my flight (DL Economy class) heads out Friday morning DTW to NGO. I plan to enjoy any of the Woodford or Jack that remains by the time beverage service gets to 22B. Does Japanese whisky get served to the plebs in coach?

I plan to hit a few liquor stores in Kyoto and Nagoya (I'll pick up some Wild Turkey 8, Nikka From the Barrel, Yamazaki 12 if its around), maybe swing by the Yamazaki distillery to see if I can get in to the tour on Sunday and pick up the distillery only bottle. I hope also to pick up a couple Nikka Gold & Gold Samurai bottles at duty free at NGO for my return trip. I have friends who really want a bottle of this for their drinking & displays.

Edit - Oh, by the way, I see Macallan 12 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel as options, or are those only available in Delta One?
No Japanese whisky on DL flights. Woodford or Jack only in Y, Macallan is D1 only
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the update. Woodford it is, then.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma
Tours get booked weeks in advance, but cancellations happen all the time (Sundays are probably popular though). Check the website regularly. When I went to Hakushu 2 years ago they had a shop anyone could go to, and pretty sure it had the distillery only bottle (limit 1 per person). Assume Yamazaki is the same. But what you really want is the tastings at the bar - top shelf at rock bottom prices.
I'm going to Yamazaki in a couple of weeks - what is the "distillery only" bottle? And from a drinking perspective, do I want it?

The tastings look dangerously attractive! The last price list that I found online had an incredible selection, with everything up to the 21 year olds at well under 1000 Yen each, and only the 25YO and above are significantly higher (but still extremely reasonable).

Last edited by JHunter; Oct 31, 2018 at 7:07 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:39 am

removed
Duke787, IndyHoosier and DGibb like this.

Last edited by invalyd; Nov 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.