Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by Irish lad
Not today it doesn't! Just been in and they are sold out. Agree that finding the good whiskies in Japan is tough! Now regret not buying more of the 50ml Hibiki 17 year old small bottles in Hiroshima...
Originally Posted by invalyd
Where did you find the Hibiki 17? Hoping to snag a bottle when I'm there next month
I was able to snag 2 more bottles of Hibiki 17 at the Isetan in Kyoto for 12K/bottle, my best score of the trip!

There were 6 bottles left as of today!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Question Something inside your vest?

Originally Posted by jpdx
Just completed a ~2 week stay in Japan. The Whiskey situation has become more dire if anything. You can walk around all day without seeing a single reasonably priced bottle with age statement.
{edit}
Donkis have been pretty dry compared to my March/April trip. Donkis, of course, fall into three categories:
{more edit}
and the slightly-more-upscale Donki (in fairly affluent locations, perhaps frequented by expats, but not on the tourist circuit) -- the latter is the only one worth visiting.
Unwilling to identify one of those Don Quijotes?
I'll toss out the one in Naka-Meguro, where I shopped one day looking for JAVs. I didn't find any of those. But it seemed to have a lot of spirits. But I'm not one to buy rare bottles of spirits. I would want to drink it, which is seemingly what one does not do in this marketplace.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:45 pm

I was at a DonKi last week in Japan. It had a "Premuim Collectible" section for liquors, including Hibiki 17, 21, and Yama 18. The bad news is it was selling them for over-inflated after market prices. And these are not the Duty Free editions.

Hibiki 17 - 19,800 Yen
Hibiki 21 - 39,800 Yen
Yama 18 - 49,800 Yen

It's sad, but Donki went from being a good source of higher end Japanese whisky at SRP prices (also Tax Free) to over-inflated after-market prices.

Went to Mitsukoshi in the Ginza last week and found a bottle of Ichiro's Malt 5yr Port Pipe Cask Strength for 27,000 Yen (25,000 Tax free), and picked that up. Went back the next day to pick up a second bottle and they were all gone. It was a Isetan-Mitsukoshi only release. Perhaps they might still have it at other Mitsukoshi/Isetan stores.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:13 am

Found some bottles in Osaka

Hi,

Whenever I get a chance to go to Japan, I always hunt for any bottles I can find that are typically harder to find (usually age statement bottles). Across my three separate trips over the last 3 years, I've found it very difficult to find much across Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto (the 3 places I generally visit).

I've come across a hibiki 17 a few times but usually 20k price range the first two years (2015, 2016) but 2017 was tough luck for me until today I found a store that doesn't seem to populate on Google maps. It's a relatively large store and I saw a taketsuru 17 and 21, as well as a hibiki 17 (priced approx 16k, 23k, and 15k respectively). I'm shocked to have come across these bottles and at not ridiculouslu over inflated prices...it almost makes me wonder if there have ever been cases of fake bottles or label changed bottles? I'm probably being paranoid but wanted to see if people here with more experience had any input! Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xLyrical
it almost makes me wonder if there have ever been cases of fake bottles or label changed bottles? I'm probably being paranoid but wanted to see if people here with more experience had any input! Thanks!
no, the odds of this happening in japan are close to zero.

any chance you could share the location? going to be in japan next week.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:44 pm

I'll be stopping by San Francisco this weekend and from previous posts, it seems like San Francisco Costco's sometimes carry Japanese Whiskey.

Does anyone have an updates on Costco recently? I wouldn't mind picking up a bottle.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz
I'll be stopping by San Francisco this weekend and from previous posts, it seems like San Francisco Costco's sometimes carry Japanese Whiskey.

Does anyone have an updates on Costco recently? I wouldn't mind picking up a bottle.
they currently have toki for $35 and nikka coffee grain for $59.
kl wines is only 5 blocks down from costco and will have a much wider selection at similar prices.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone tried the Costco in Japan to see if they have anything?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:15 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
no, the odds of this happening in japan are close to zero.

any chance you could share the location? going to be in japan next week.
Great! thanks for the input. I'm glad i picked up 3 bottles of H17 and the Taketsuru 17 + 21.

And, of course, I'll share as accurately as I can.

The name is Liquor Express in Osaka, about 10-15 minutes walk South of Osaka Station. It's about 2 or 3 stores down from another Liquor store called Sakaeya (see attached screenshots for map/address on google maps). It didn't show up on street view and a google and yelp search yielded no results for me. I stumbled onto it on the way to a Yamaya nearby (thank God I found it).

I've also attached some images of the selection of Japanese Whisky they had on the day I went. Pretty solid selection, probably the best I've seen in the last 3 years. Hope this helps and you guys can find it! The one picture of the building corner with "MY" on it is the corner store right next to Liquor Express coming from the North end of the street (just added for reference).
Attached Images         
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:37 am

Also, this was what I found at KIX terminal 2. Some decent stuff but I think a bit overpriced. Either way, I was too broke by this point. (These were from 10/7/17)
Attached Images    
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:17 am

Wow, those prices are insane now... I guess I was super lucky earlier this year I picked up two bottles of Hibiki 17 for Y10,000 ea and a bottle of Yamazaki 18 for Y25,000 at Aeon mall. I guess the prices are about doubled at this moment... A aged Japanese whisky is like liquid gold now....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:19 am

For anyone in and around Roppongi make your way to Liquior Mountain if you are after some nice aged wisky. After searching for Hibiki 17 for the last 5 days, enetered at least 25 shops, I was finally able to score a couple bottles for 17k inc tax. They had some fine aged whisky’s inc a couple bottles of 30yr Hibiki for 298k + tax

Sorry can’t upload picture of their range as I have less then 5 post

Last edited by Jakey_boy; Oct 12, 2017 at 6:23 am Reason: Inc picture
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Jakey_boy
For anyone in and around Roppongi make your way to Liquior Mountain if you are after some nice aged wisky. After searching for Hibiki 17 for the last 5 days, enetered at least 25 shops, I was finally able to score a couple bottles for 17k inc tax. They had some fine aged whisky’s inc a couple bottles of 30yr Hibiki for 298k + tax

Sorry can’t upload picture of their range as I have less then 5 post
Those are available on Amazon Japan for the same prices.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nishimark
Those are available on Amazon Japan for the same prices.
Hmmm

I wonder if you could order and ship to a hotel? I am willing to give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.