Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Jun 1, 19, 2:36 am
  #1441  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,002
T1 at NRT completely sold out. As far as I can tell Fa So La won't even carry the special edition bottles anymore as the displays are long gone. They are really pushing Suntory Ao now. I tried it in the lounge and for a $40 world blend it's not bad at all.

ANA shop had one bottle of Nikka 12 left which I grabbed. Nikka Samurai bottle also widely available. From talking to shop clerk, ANA shop received Hibiki 21 shipment yesterday which was gone in about 2 hours.
invalyd is online now  
Old Jun 1, 19, 5:32 pm
  #1442  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
T1 at NRT completely sold out. As far as I can tell Fa So La won't even carry the special edition bottles anymore as the displays are long gone. They are really pushing Suntory Ao now. I tried it in the lounge and for a $40 world blend it's not bad at all.

ANA shop had one bottle of Nikka 12 left which I grabbed. Nikka Samurai bottle also widely available. From talking to shop clerk, ANA shop received Hibiki 21 shipment yesterday which was gone in about 2 hours.
did you end up scoring the Yamazaki 25 and Hibiki 30 you mentioned in the previous comment?
invalyd likes this.
james21_h is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 1:02 am
  #1443  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,133
I signed up for the KIX auction when I thought I had to be in Japan. I won the lottery for Hibiki 21 and still have the plane tickets, but I don't need to be in Japan anymore.

Of course, I want an excuse to take the trip. Is picking up Hibiki 21 for JPY50k a good enough reason? I personally don't drink whiskey, but I figured it could make a nice gift at some point. Will the Hibiki 21 hold up in storage until I gift it sometime in the future? Thanks
Duke787 likes this.
fallinasleep is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 2:30 am
  #1444  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
I signed up for the KIX auction when I thought I had to be in Japan. I won the lottery for Hibiki 21 and still have the plane tickets, but I don't need to be in Japan anymore.

Of course, I want an excuse to take the trip. Is picking up Hibiki 21 for JPY50k a good enough reason? I personally don't drink whiskey, but I figured it could make a nice gift at some point. Will the Hibiki 21 hold up in storage until I gift it sometime in the future? Thanks
Congratulations on the lottery! The price on secondary markets (online, Liquor Express, Liquor Mountain)ranges from Y90-120K ($800-1200) so you have to be the ultimate arbiter if its value. But given the scarcity value of the bottle it will be appreciated by whomever you gift it to, fer sure!
fallinasleep, Duke787 and 7473chad like this.
PastisDetox is online now  
Old Jun 6, 19, 8:07 am
  #1445  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Here Today, There Tomorrow
Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Posts: 1,155
Is there a lottery at HND? If so, how does one sign up for it?
Aloha1 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 19, 8:26 am
  #1446  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
I signed up for the KIX auction when I thought I had to be in Japan. I won the lottery for Hibiki 21 and still have the plane tickets, but I don't need to be in Japan anymore.

Of course, I want an excuse to take the trip. Is picking up Hibiki 21 for JPY50k a good enough reason? I personally don't drink whiskey, but I figured it could make a nice gift at some point. Will the Hibiki 21 hold up in storage until I gift it sometime in the future? Thanks
does anyone need an additional reason to back to Japan? 😂

that is no doubt a long way to go for a Hibiki 21
but hopefully you can make a nice trip from it and not go only for the bottle
fallinasleep likes this.
invalyd is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:24 am
  #1447  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MEL/YMML
Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)
Posts: 205
Yamazaki 12 now readily available at Heinemann SYD/OOL. Just pre-order it, and pick it up at duty free after security, if you flying through.

antebellum is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:21 am
  #1448  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by antebellum View Post
Yamazaki 12 now readily available at Heinemann SYD/OOL. Just pre-order it, and pick it up at duty free after security, if you flying through.
With the caveat that you'd have to be crazy to pay that much for a Y12.
groovbusta and 7473chad like this.
invalyd is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 2:52 pm
  #1449  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Want to ask how hard is to find NAS products from Suntory or Nikka in Tokyo at non-marked up prices? Things like NAS Yamazaki, Hakushu, Yoichi, NFTB.
Will be there in 2 weeks, I have no expectation to find any non-marked up for aged statement ones and not really looking for them.
sharkmok is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:04 pm
  #1450  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MEL/YMML
Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
With the caveat that you'd have to be crazy to pay that much for a Y12.
Not that bad. That price is in Australian Dollars.
Another point, Australian (Federal) Government impose 85% taxes on whiskies, hence that's why those stuff is so expensive in this part of the world.
antebellum is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:25 pm
  #1451  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by antebellum View Post
Not that bad. That price is in Australian Dollars.
Another point, Australian (Federal) Government impose 85% taxes on whiskies, hence that's why those stuff is so expensive in this part of the world.
It is quite bad... $175 USD / 19,000 is absurd, there is much better Japanese whisky to be had for that price.
james21_h and 7473chad like this.
invalyd is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:39 pm
  #1452  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
It is quite bad... $175 USD / 19,000 is absurd, there is much better Japanese whisky to be had for that price.
Yeah that is pretty bad.... I got a bottle of Nikka Takesuru 17 for $130 just last month...... Which in my opinion is better than Yamazaki 12.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
james21_h is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:45 pm
  #1453  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post
Yeah that is pretty bad.... I got a bottle of Nikka Takesuru 17 for $130 just last month...... Which in my opinion is better than Yamazaki 12.
You could buy a Blenders Choice, Nikka 12, Hibiki 17 mini and still have some change leftover for 19k
invalyd is online now  
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:24 pm
  #1454  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MEL/YMML
Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
You could buy a Blenders Choice, Nikka 12, Hibiki 17 mini and still have some change leftover for 19k
I do agree, and I've seen these prices, but I wouldn't have a chance to visit Japan until after the Olympics (end of next year)?
antebellum is offline  
Old Jun 9, 19, 4:04 am
  #1455  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by antebellum View Post
I do agree, and I've seen these prices, but I wouldn't have a chance to visit Japan until after the Olympics (end of next year)?
Well said mate. Not everyone can get access to the best price, and as you say, if you cant make it to Ginza and spend half a day searching around, you should feel free to pay the price you feel for the pleasure.
7473chad likes this.
daizawaguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread