Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old May 4, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
At least you get it at (and at Costco prices)...

...over here in NC we don't even get Yamazaki 12 in the ABC store at the jacked up prices much less at the friendlier Costco prices.

Sadly my next planned trip to Tokyo isn't until 2020 -- crossing my fingers that a work trip takes me to SIN or ICN so I can make a stop in Tokyo before then
Tokyo is the worst place to hunt these days, it's way easier to find retail prices in the US.
7473chad likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by invalyd
Tokyo is the worst place to hunt these days, it's way easier to find retail prices in the US.
Im here now and have great luck finding Blantons Black and Blantons STFB at way lower than US prices.

its a real struggle finding Japanese whiskey with age statements. Only found one Hibiki 17 for 375 USD in the wild so far
Old May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider

Im here now and have great luck finding Blantons Black and Blantons STFB at way lower than US prices.

its a real struggle finding Japanese whiskey with age statements. Only found one Hibiki 17 for 375 USD in the wild so far
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Yes, I was referring to Japanese whisky, not bourbon.
That's not to say they aren't available, just not at prices worth paying.

Old May 5, 2019, 1:40 am

Blanton's black is everywhere for about $33. Blanton's SFTB can be easily found too at the price you listed above. Just the Japanese whiskies are really hard to get at retail prices! Last time I was at BIC camera Tokyo I got the Yamazaki NAS at 4100 yen which I considered a great deal. And Nikka 12 at 5500 yen... not sure if they are still available at that price anymore. If you are in Japan to hunt any aged Suntory whiskies or Nikka whiskies at retails you are too late to the game now! I remember just one year ago I passed by stores had Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18 on the shelves for 27,000 yen each and I passed on them because my check in bags are too full already. Now it's a different world out there!
Old May 5, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by james21_h
Blanton's black is everywhere for about $33. Blanton's SFTB can be easily found too at the price you listed above. Just the Japanese whiskies are really hard to get at retail prices! Last time I was at BIC camera Tokyo I got the Yamazaki NAS at 4100 yen which I considered a great deal. And Nikka 12 at 5500 yen... not sure if they are still available at that price anymore. If you are in Japan to hunt any aged Suntory whiskies or Nikka whiskies at retails you are too late to the game now! I remember just one year ago I passed by stores had Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18 on the shelves for 27,000 yen each and I passed on them because my check in bags are too full already. Now it's a different world out there!
I live in NYC where the cheapest Blantons is 99+ tax. So Im like a kid in a candy store here. Never had black before.

I only started hunting less than a year ago, so Im very late to the game.

BUT! Very happy to report I got the last Nikka 12 at Seibu in Shibuya for 6000 yen. Really wanted to walk away from Japan with a Nikka or Hibiki or Yamazaki with an age statement
groovbusta and 7473chad like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:34 am

I live in NYC where the cheapest Blantons is 99+ tax. So Im like a kid in a candy store here. Never had black before.

I only started hunting less than a year ago, so Im very late to the game.

BUT! Very happy to report I got the last Nikka 12 at Seibu in Shibuya for 6000 yen. Really wanted to walk away from Japan with a Nikka or Hibiki or Yamazaki with an age statement
​​​​​​That's funny because most of my recent scores have come from New York in the past year.
hopefully you can get lucky at the airport.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h

yeah I know... tell me about it... I dont buy here in wa unless its a really good deal!
Hey James,

Which Costco is the yamazaki at? Hopefully I can finally grab one to try. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:10 am

Slim pickings at Terminal 1 NRT, but tons of places with Suntory AO for 4700 yen.

Did manage to snag the last samurai bottle tho. Had to go to three places before finding it
groovbusta, invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:38 am

One final update - plenty of Nikka 12s for 5400 yen at the ANA duty free. Nice to now have two now 😎
invalyd likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:19 am

That's a good price for Nikka 12 at duty free. Nice grab.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:44 am

Was at Narita T1 a week ago and there were plenty of Nikka 12 for 5400 yen. Managed to get 4 bottles, they had more stock at the back. Sadly no Hibiki 21 or Yamazako 18. There were two on display but was tagged Sold Out.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
So here in the States, I have found Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki at $40 USD and $64 USD respectively. Three questions: First are these good prices? Second, I have never had Toki. Is it worth this price? Third, should I just hold out and see if I can pick up Nikka 12 next month in Japan?
Old May 14, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
So here in the States, I have found Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki at $40 USD and $64 USD respectively. Three questions: First are these good prices? Second, I have never had Toki. Is it worth this price? Third, should I just hold out and see if I can pick up Nikka 12 next month in Japan?
Coffey Grain is difficult to find, but if you can it is Yen 5800-6500. Nikka 12 is fast running out, and around Yen 7500.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
Toki is generally produced as a highball whisky. $40 is on the higher end to pay for it. It costs $27 at Costco and is widely available.

Coffey Grain isn't priced much cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and was recently discontinued in the JP market.

Nikka 12 is still around for Y5400, as indicated by several posts above, but also recently discontinued.

Last edited by invalyd; May 14, 2019 at 4:41 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by invalyd
Toki is generally produced as a highball whisky. $40 is on the higher end to pay for it. It costs $27 at Costco and is widely available.

Coffey Grain isn't priced much cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and was recently discontinued in the JP market.

Nikka 12 is still around for Y5400, as indicated by several posts above, but also recently discontinued.
Thanks, appreciate the info.
invalyd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.