Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old May 4, 19, 9:04 pm
  #1396  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
At least you get it at (and at Costco prices)...

...over here in NC we don't even get Yamazaki 12 in the ABC store at the jacked up prices much less at the friendlier Costco prices.

Sadly my next planned trip to Tokyo isn't until 2020 -- crossing my fingers that a work trip takes me to SIN or ICN so I can make a stop in Tokyo before then
Tokyo is the worst place to hunt these days, it's way easier to find retail prices in the US.
7473chad likes this.
invalyd is online now  
Old May 4, 19, 9:55 pm
  #1397  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Tokyo is the worst place to hunt these days, it's way easier to find retail prices in the US.
I知 here now and have great luck finding Blantons Black and Blantons STFB at way lower than US prices.

its a real struggle finding Japanese whiskey with age statements. Only found one Hibiki 17 for 375 USD in the wild so far
uppereastsider is offline  
Old May 4, 19, 11:48 pm
  #1398  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post


I知 here now and have great luck finding Blantons Black and Blantons STFB at way lower than US prices.

its a real struggle finding Japanese whiskey with age statements. Only found one Hibiki 17 for 375 USD in the wild so far
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Yes, I was referring to Japanese whisky, not bourbon.
That's not to say they aren't available, just not at prices worth paying.

invalyd is online now  
Old May 5, 19, 1:40 am
  #1399  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post


I知 here now and have great luck finding Blantons Black and Blantons STFB at way lower than US prices.

its a real struggle finding Japanese whiskey with age statements. Only found one Hibiki 17 for 375 USD in the wild so far
Blanton's black is everywhere for about $33. Blanton's SFTB can be easily found too at the price you listed above. Just the Japanese whiskies are really hard to get at retail prices! Last time I was at BIC camera Tokyo I got the Yamazaki NAS at 4100 yen which I considered a great deal. And Nikka 12 at 5500 yen... not sure if they are still available at that price anymore. If you are in Japan to hunt any aged Suntory whiskies or Nikka whiskies at retails you are too late to the game now! I remember just one year ago I passed by stores had Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18 on the shelves for 27,000 yen each and I passed on them because my check in bags are too full already. Now it's a different world out there!
james21_h is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 3:55 am
  #1400  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 752
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post
Blanton's black is everywhere for about $33. Blanton's SFTB can be easily found too at the price you listed above. Just the Japanese whiskies are really hard to get at retail prices! Last time I was at BIC camera Tokyo I got the Yamazaki NAS at 4100 yen which I considered a great deal. And Nikka 12 at 5500 yen... not sure if they are still available at that price anymore. If you are in Japan to hunt any aged Suntory whiskies or Nikka whiskies at retails you are too late to the game now! I remember just one year ago I passed by stores had Hibiki 21 and Hakushu 18 on the shelves for 27,000 yen each and I passed on them because my check in bags are too full already. Now it's a different world out there!
I live in NYC where the cheapest Blantons is 99+ tax. So I知 like a kid in a candy store here. Never had black before.

I only started hunting less than a year ago, so I知 very late to the game.

BUT! Very happy to report I got the last Nikka 12 at Seibu in Shibuya for 6000 yen. Really wanted to walk away from Japan with a Nikka or Hibiki or Yamazaki with an age statement
groovbusta and 7473chad like this.
uppereastsider is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 10:34 am
  #1401  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post


I live in NYC where the cheapest Blantons is 99+ tax. So I知 like a kid in a candy store here. Never had black before.

I only started hunting less than a year ago, so I知 very late to the game.

BUT! Very happy to report I got the last Nikka 12 at Seibu in Shibuya for 6000 yen. Really wanted to walk away from Japan with a Nikka or Hibiki or Yamazaki with an age statement
​​​​​​That's funny because most of my recent scores have come from New York in the past year.
hopefully you can get lucky at the airport.
invalyd is online now  
Old May 5, 19, 9:05 pm
  #1402  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post


yeah I know... tell me about it... I don稚 buy here in wa unless it痴 a really good deal!
Hey James,

Which Costco is the yamazaki at? Hopefully I can finally grab one to try. Thanks.
flyernoobtube is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 12:10 am
  #1403  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 752
Slim pickings at Terminal 1 NRT, but tons of places with Suntory AO for 4700 yen.

Did manage to snag the last samurai bottle tho. Had to go to three places before finding it
groovbusta, invalyd and 7473chad like this.
uppereastsider is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 1:38 am
  #1404  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 752
One final update - plenty of Nikka 12s for 5400 yen at the ANA duty free. Nice to now have two now 😎
invalyd likes this.
uppereastsider is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 7:19 am
  #1405  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
That's a good price for Nikka 12 at duty free. Nice grab.
DGibb is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 6:44 am
  #1406  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 15
Was at Narita T1 a week ago and there were plenty of Nikka 12 for 5400 yen. Managed to get 4 bottles, they had more stock at the back. Sadly no Hibiki 21 or Yamazako 18. There were two on display but was tagged Sold Out.
lilkid28 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 2:20 pm
  #1407  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Here Today, There Tomorrow
Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Posts: 1,155
So here in the States, I have found Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki at $40 USD and $64 USD respectively. Three questions: First are these good prices? Second, I have never had Toki. Is it worth this price? Third, should I just hold out and see if I can pick up Nikka 12 next month in Japan?
Aloha1 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 3:25 pm
  #1408  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
So here in the States, I have found Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki at $40 USD and $64 USD respectively. Three questions: First are these good prices? Second, I have never had Toki. Is it worth this price? Third, should I just hold out and see if I can pick up Nikka 12 next month in Japan?
Coffey Grain is difficult to find, but if you can it is Yen 5800-6500. Nikka 12 is fast running out, and around Yen 7500.
daizawaguy is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 4:35 pm
  #1409  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
So here in the States, I have found Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki at $40 USD and $64 USD respectively. Three questions: First are these good prices? Second, I have never had Toki. Is it worth this price? Third, should I just hold out and see if I can pick up Nikka 12 next month in Japan?
Toki is generally produced as a highball whisky. $40 is on the higher end to pay for it. It costs $27 at Costco and is widely available.

Coffey Grain isn't priced much cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and was recently discontinued in the JP market.

Nikka 12 is still around for Y5400, as indicated by several posts above, but also recently discontinued.

Last edited by invalyd; May 14, 19 at 4:41 pm
invalyd is online now  
Old May 15, 19, 7:05 am
  #1410  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Here Today, There Tomorrow
Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Posts: 1,155
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Toki is generally produced as a highball whisky. $40 is on the higher end to pay for it. It costs $27 at Costco and is widely available.

Coffey Grain isn't priced much cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and was recently discontinued in the JP market.

Nikka 12 is still around for Y5400, as indicated by several posts above, but also recently discontinued.
Thanks, appreciate the info.
invalyd likes this.
Aloha1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread