Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Reply

Old Apr 25, 19, 12:30 am
  #1381  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 367
Any update for Tokyo shops? I tried bic at Shinjuku. All
sold out.
EZETravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 19, 2:17 pm
  #1382  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Here Today, There Tomorrow
Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Posts: 1,155
Three years ago, I bought a bottle of Hibiki Harmony for USD $43 and a Hibiki 17 for USD $130 at the Lucua Department Store at Osaka station. I consider myself fortunate looking at today's prices! I will be back in Tokyo and Osaka in Mid June. Where does the collective mind suggest I go to purchase more in either city? Also interested in Yamazaki Single Malts and need opinions on Yoichi. Flying in to NRT mid afternoon in June and out of HND mid morning end of June.

Last edited by Aloha1; Apr 26, 19 at 2:28 pm
Aloha1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 7:50 pm
  #1383  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3


Hibiki 17 for USD 130
jonckt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 19, 11:03 am
  #1384  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
I had good luck at Bic Camera in Asakusa-Mitsuke. Found Wild Turkey 8, Blanton's Gold, Nikka 12, and Yamazaki NAS a month ago.
DGibb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 19, 10:31 pm
  #1385  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Posts: 34
Any recs for good stores to hunt in Nagoya? Does anyone know if the Nagoya airport carries the Suntory LE bottles?
7473chad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 19, 10:47 pm
  #1386  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by 7473chad View Post
Any recs for good stores to hunt in Nagoya? Does anyone know if the Nagoya airport carries the Suntory LE bottles?
They do not , unfortunately

as Nagoya is not as frequented by tourists, you might have good luck checking out some smaller family owned liqour shops
7473chad likes this.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 19, 9:06 pm
  #1387  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
They do not , unfortunately

as Nagoya is not as frequented by tourists, you might have good luck checking out some smaller family owned liqour shops
Ok I am planning on "connecting" via Narita to fly home then. Another question. Can I connect AIRSIDE between T1 and T2 at Narita? (i.e. to look for whisky at both terminals) Narita website says there is a bus but for transit passengers only. Do they check boarding passes to make sure you are not just transiting for shopping etc?

Last edited by 7473chad; May 3, 19 at 9:16 pm
7473chad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 6:46 am
  #1388  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 693
Currently in Tokyo now staying in Shinjuku.

Found two Evan Williams Red for around 30 USD at Bic Camera in Shinjuku and Blantons STFB for 40 USD.

Found a small liquor store near Golden Gai and got Blantons Black for around 40 USD.

Any other items I should look for? Having no luck finding Yamazaki and only found Hibiki 17 for 360 USD which was a pass for me
uppereastsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 9:29 am
  #1389  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by 7473chad View Post
Ok I am planning on "connecting" via Narita to fly home then. Another question. Can I connect AIRSIDE between T1 and T2 at Narita? (i.e. to look for whisky at both terminals) Narita website says there is a bus but for transit passengers only. Do they check boarding passes to make sure you are not just transiting for shopping etc?
There is a bus but it's only for connecting passengers, you need to have a boarding pass for the other terminal. Which terminal will you be in? T1 is way better than T2 in my experience.
7473chad likes this.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 9:30 am
  #1390  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post
Currently in Tokyo now staying in Shinjuku.

Found two Evan Williams Red for around 30 USD at Bic Camera in Shinjuku and Blantons STFB for 40 USD.

Found a small liquor store near Golden Gai and got Blantons Black for around 40 USD.

Any other items I should look for? Having no luck finding Yamazaki and only found Hibiki 17 for 360 USD which was a pass for me
Suntory Ao was just released and should be everywhere. It is a world blend so nothing too special, but for the price it's probably worth grabbing a bottle.
uppereastsider likes this.
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 9:34 am
  #1391  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
There is a bus but it's only for connecting passengers, you need to have a boarding pass for the other terminal. Which terminal will you be in? T1 is way better than T2 in my experience.
T2 Always T2
7473chad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 5:03 pm
  #1392  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 122

Well, local Costco beats all the prices in japan!
7473chad likes this.
james21_h is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 5:13 pm
  #1393  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post

Well, local Costco beats all the prices in japan!
That WA liquor tax is brutal
invalyd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 5:45 pm
  #1394  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
That WA liquor tax is brutal
yeah I know... tell me about it... I donít buy here in wa unless itís a really good deal!
james21_h is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 19, 7:48 pm
  #1395  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,720
Originally Posted by james21_h View Post


yeah I know... tell me about it... I don’t buy here in wa unless it’s a really good deal!
At least you get it at (and at Costco prices)...

...over here in NC we don't even get Yamazaki 12 in the ABC store at the jacked up prices much less at the friendlier Costco prices.

Sadly my next planned trip to Tokyo isn't until 2020 -- crossing my fingers that a work trip takes me to SIN or ICN so I can make a stop in Tokyo before then
Duke787 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread